Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996


    · Tarot Decks   · Tarot Meanings   · Tarot Forum   · Home

Tarot Gallery Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Community What's New

  Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Deck Creation

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post, share readings, search, view extra boards and more.

Hope to see you in the forum soon!


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Babalon Jones 
418
 
Babalon Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24 Oct 2010
Location: Anomalous
Posts: 1,455

White out for mistakes? Brilliant. I was not allowed to make mistakes, lol, working on frosted mylar, white out would have shown. So I just held my breath every time I drew a line haha.
It actually was not a Sharpie. But it was a fine line permanent marker by Pentel they discontinued them so I bought every one I could find online, cleaned a few places out of what little stock they had, just to make sure I could finish the deck, as they were the only thing that worked right on the mylar I bought to use. Then I painted them with India inks and a paint brush. I bought a set of cheap paintbrushes from the back of a magazine, that are actually pretty good, very tiny, for people who paint model trains and such.
Babalon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #41
tarotbear 
Citizen
 
tarotbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 Aug 2001
Location: away, away
Posts: 11,179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babalon Jones View Post
White out for mistakes? Brilliant. I was not allowed to make mistakes, lol, working on frosted mylar, white out would have shown. So I just held my breath every time I drew a line, haha.
I think it was a medium and not a fine point Flair pen - but if it was the tips wear down fast from friction against the paper. Hard to draw fine lines and small details and many were indistinct with the Flair or I had to eliminate them entirely. What a joy to go to digital and be able to clean up those images.

However, the scanned black lines - AYE-KY-AYE! What looks like a strong black border line in ink transformed in digital into a mosaic of squares in different black tones~! The same for black hand-lettering! It might have been different had I used India Ink but this was a learn-as-you-go process.
tarotbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #42
rota 
Citizen
 
rota's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 Oct 2002
Location: Rose City, emerald Oregon
Posts: 1,179

Great thread! I hope new card artists will stop here and absorb some of your wisdom. It really does take forever and a day to complete a tarot deck, and longer than that to figure out distribution. That funny deck idea you all had over dinner seemed like a sure winner while you were sipping wine, but the cool idea has to hold up through the whole long process of deck construction.

And so few of us are both deck writers/planners/designers and deck artists. It's kind of sad to see a good deck idea done in by poorly handled artwork, or great artwork wasted on a lame idea.

If I were to give any over-arching advice to a person who just HAS to create a deck, it would be to plan out their entire 78-card deck before they ever start sketching. Like any edifice, a solid and comprehensive card-based divination system is built on a solid plan.

The plan should be worked out in writing first, perhaps in a spiral-bound notebook. Each card should be written out in words first, and only when every card is figured out in symbols, colors, poses, numbers, titles, shapes, (and, incidentally, decide on a printer and a template) -- only then should a person start creating the artwork.

I know it seems backward, but that's what experience has taught me.

That's just my two cents. It's just that I see such a lot of good intentions go bust, when a little pre-flight planning would make the whole project not only go easier in the execution, but work better in the actual reading.



__________________
^^^^the Ator Tarot^^^^
the International Icon Tarot
.....and the Prairie Tarot

............................................................................
"...exertion is greater than destiny, and ... the will of man is superior to all events." Bhishma
______________

Last edited by rota; 23-08-2014 at 06:02.
rota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #43
JOdel 
Resident
 
Join Date: 28 Jul 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 41

<<It's kind of sad to see a good deck idea done in by poorly handled artwork, or great artwork wasted on a lame idea.>>

Yes. The PoMo deck has a *great* book, and the concept was wonderful. But it would have been *so* much better if they had been able to get permission to use the art referenced and properly adapt it, rather than the redrawing which just doesn't come across the same at all.

Of course no one would have been able to afford to do it the way it needed to be done. So at least what we've got gets the idea across. But I would so much have liked to have seen the kind of thing that the descriptions suggest.

Last edited by JOdel; 24-08-2014 at 01:32.
JOdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #44
shadowdancer 
Citizen
 
shadowdancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 31 Oct 2004
Location: Christchurch NZ
Posts: 4,846

I wish I had known from the outset, the likelihood of your 'partner' deserting the project after a year of work had been invested.

All I was left with were sketches that were too rough for me to do anything with. I had purchased the art materials and had also completed a comprehensive book for the deck, including a work book section - 256 typed pages of A4 sitting on my PC as a word document, never to be used. I had even offered to do the colouring of the deck but he declined, wanting to do all the artwork himself.

I think it showed me that there is no guarantee that both parties will follow through, and that trust plays a huge part when working with another. I have now learned the only way to go is to do it myself. Due to the fact I have the artistic ability of a dismembered gnat in the throes of a seizure, it ain't happening. Yes, I know it doesn't have to be a Michael Angelo, yes I know I could learn to draw through lessons etc. It would not be to the standard I want, and what I have as an image in my head. I did art at school - I know my ceiling with ability and it is low. So please, do not suggest that.

It is always a treat to see a finished product when it comes to tarot. I know how much work, sweat, tears, sleepless nights etc go into it. That is why I would hesitate to be overly critical of any creation. They deserve respect, and the creator does always warrant at least a pat on the back.



__________________
Life is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you will get but hope it isn't going to be the coffee cream!
shadowdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #45
Luna-Ocean 
Citizen
 
Join Date: 29 Jan 2012
Location: uk
Posts: 1,229

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowdancer View Post
I wish I had known from the outset, the likelihood of your 'partner' deserting the project after a year of work had been invested.

All I was left with were sketches that were too rough for me to do anything with. I had purchased the art materials and had also completed a comprehensive book for the deck, including a work book section - 256 typed pages of A4 sitting on my PC as a word document, never to be used. I had even offered to do the colouring of the deck but he declined, wanting to do all the artwork himself.

I think it showed me that there is no guarantee that both parties will follow through, and that trust plays a huge part when working with another. I have now learned the only way to go is to do it myself.
It is always a treat to see a finished product when it comes to tarot. I know how much work, sweat, tears, sleepless nights etc go into it. That is why I would hesitate to be overly critical of any creation. They deserve respect, and the creator does always warrant at least a pat on the back.
I couldn't agree more with this i just wanted to add my own thoughts i paint in my spare time and have been working on my own deck creation for nearly a year, but i still do not feel confident enough to show my work in public although i have been told my work is good? I also wanted to address what the other poster had said about creators who might design lame themes and ideas with tarot? i have seen plenty of deck creations on AT and i think many of these have potential to be published one day, what we should appreciate is the undertaken of such commitments and even though we might not like the main concept ideas or theme to a particular deck we should not be to critical, but instead enjoy the progress that goes along with creating 78 pieces of Art work?
Luna-Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #46
danielnogo 
Citizen
 
Join Date: 23 Aug 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 265
Draw big...then shrink


I think alot of new tarot artist make the mistake, when they are hand-drawing, of drawing within a frame that is the size of the card it will eventually be printed on. To me thats the biggest mistake, it makes everything feel cramped in the picture unless the image is planned out to the very last detail to account for space.

My approach when hand drawing is to use at least a 8.5 x 11 piece of paper and make the image nice and big with tons of detail(another benefit of starting huge, it's really hard to put much detail into something when you are trying to fit your hand drawing into a 2"x4" square).

Once you are satisfied with the drawing, scan it in, and use a program like photoshop to size the picture down to the desired card size.

Maybe i'm just stating the obvious

Last edited by danielnogo; 23-08-2014 at 14:29. Reason: grammar and punctuation
danielnogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #47
danielnogo 
Citizen
 
Join Date: 23 Aug 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarotbear View Post
I think it was a medium and not a fine point Flair pen - but if it was the tips wear down fast from friction against the paper. Hard to draw fine lines and small details and many were indistinct with the Flair or I had to eliminate them entirely. What a joy to go to digital and be able to clean up those images.

However, the scanned black lines - AYE-KY-AYE! What looks like a strong black border line in ink transformed in digital into a mosaic of squares in different black tones~! The same for black hand-lettering! It might have been different had I used India Ink but this was a learn-as-you-go process.
For the varying colors on the lines you can use the curves dialog and turn the curve way down at the upper end of the curve, everything will even out into the black color you had originally intended assuming you're using photoshop that is.
danielnogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #48
tarotbear 
Citizen
 
tarotbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 Aug 2001
Location: away, away
Posts: 11,179

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielnogo View Post
I think alot of new tarot artist make the mistake, when they are hand-drawing, of drawing within a frame that is the size of the card it will eventually be printed on. To me thats the biggest mistake, it makes everything feel cramped in the picture unless the image is planned out to the very last detail to account for space.
It is not the 'size' of the image but the 'proportion' of the image that is important. The aspect to aspect ratio needs to be maintained. You could do each illustration on a 2' x 3' poster board if you wish - which will make a decent poker-size image when reduced but will be too wide for a tarot card-size image when done. This is why a couple of us here say that you should find a printer 'before you begin' and see what size is best for image reproduction before you design images that are too wide or not tall enough. If the company's Tarot cards are 3" x 6" you can create your images 12" x 24" and still have the correct ratio for reproduction.

BTW - many companies use PNG files for their cards, so make sure you save your images in the correct file form to save yourself having to convert them later.

IMHO - there is a particular Russian deck out there that claims the images were painted the exact finished card size with a brush with a single hair - I think that's a load of CRAP!

Last edited by tarotbear; 24-08-2014 at 00:15.
tarotbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #49
danielnogo 
Citizen
 
Join Date: 23 Aug 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarotbear View Post
It is not the 'size' of the image but the 'proportion' of the image that is important. The aspect to aspect ratio needs to be maintained. You could do each illustration on a 2' x 3' poster board if you wish - which will make a decent poker-size image when reduced but will be too wide for a tarot card-size image when done. This is why a couple of us here say that you should find a printer 'before you begin' and see what size is best for image reproduction before you design images that are too wide or not tall enough. If the company's Tarot cards are 3" x 6" you can create your images 12" x 24" and still have the correct ratio for reproduction.

BTW - many companies use PNG files for their cards, so make sure you save your images in the correct file form to save yourself having to convert them later.

IMHO - there is a particular Russian deck out there that claims the images were painted the exact finished card size with a brush with a single hair - I think that's a load of CRAP!
I don't think I was clear in my post, I mean its going to be impossible to cram all the detail you want into a poker sized workspace
Thats all I meant, but proportion is very important as well.
danielnogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #50
Reply

Latest Threads in Tarot Decks

Latest Threads in Talking Tarot

Latest Threads in Using Tarot Cards


Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade your account to subscriber today

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On



All times are GMT +10. The time now is 17:28.

 


Tarot Forum Categories
· Tarot Decks
· Using Tarot Cards
· Tarot Trading
· Talking Tarot
· Reading Exchange
· Your Readings
· Tarot Games & Fun
· Tarot Deck Creation
· Marseilles
· Rider-Waite-Smith
· Thoth Tarot
· Tarot Study Groups
· Lenormand
· Oracles
· Divination
· Spirituality
· Chat
· New Members
· Advertisements
· Forum Help


Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Steampunk Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Angel Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Dragon Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Fantasy Decks
· Tarot Books
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Upcoming Decks
· Solandia's Top Ten
· Top Ten Decks
· List All Decks

Who is behind the Aeclectic Tarot Forum?

My name is Kate Hill (also known as Solandia) and I'm a Tarot reader, deck collector, and lifelong student of the beauty and diversity of Tarot cards.

I created Aeclectic in 1996 to share my passion for Tarot with the world, and started the forum in 2000 so others could share theirs too. Contact me via email or here at the forum.

  Contribute to Aeclectic

· Add your deck
· Write a review
· Join the community

Get new deck updates via email
  Aeclectic Tarot Resources

Copyright © Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved.