Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Sacred Circle Study

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Tarot Study Groups > Individual Deck Studies > Sacred Circle Tarot

Citizen

Red Emma 
Citizen
Sacred Circle Study

I have a couple of questions, points, something of the kind.

First is that I'm beginning to suspect that I could be the contrarian of the group. In the earliest post in this category, it was suggested that we look at the symbols on the backs of the cards. I hadn't noticed before, but they do indeed have a sword, a rod, a cup, and a disk.

The textured grey background has the feeling of a medieval manuscript. In addition the composition of the four elements, (cup, sword, etc.) and their coloring suggest that they are the tools of a warrior.

I guess I'm saying, and trying to find tactful, gentle words to say, that both the medieval-like background and the symbols could give the impression that they represent a warrior culture.

I guess it puts me off a bit.

Do others have a different interpretation?
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #1
Citizen

Phoenyx* 
Citizen

The Celts were a very war-like culture, not as much so as the Norse, but they were very warlike.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #2
Citizen

contrascarpe 
Citizen

I'm not up on my Celtic history, but I was going to say the same. I fear it was a sign of the times. This would be no reason to steer clear of the deck IMO. Unfortunately war is a staple of most cultures. Of course, I am still waiting patiently for my deck to arrive in the mail, so I won't comment on the cards until I get them in my hands.

Dan
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #3
Citizen

mj07 
Citizen

Smile

hmmm, I didn't get the warlike impression so much as just a Medievil feeling, which I admit I'm not overly fond of. I just find the fact that the backs are not symetrical a bit distracting when doing a spread b/c I'll know ahead of time if a card will come up reversed. Not really THAT much of a problem, just a little distraction.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #4
Citizen

Phoenyx* 
Citizen

Strange, I'm not getting a medival feeling from it, since the weapons seem to be made of gold or bronze, and that would pre-date the Medival times by quite a number of centuries.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #5
Citizen

Nitegoddess 
Citizen

Red Emma,
I am not into the medieval or celtic ... I just see spiritual. I know that it is probably a good idea to know those things as it would help in interpretating the cards.. but I just dont have that background so I dont comment.
This deck from what I know was Anna Franklin took the pictures and along with Paul Mason's drawings put the deck together. I dont believe that they were looking to portray a "warrior" effect.
This is a quote from The Sacred Circle book from Paul Mason "Our ambition was to produce a tarot that ws rich in Pagan and mythological iconography of the British Isles and Ireland, using photography to give a level of naturalism and sense of place that we felt was lacking in other cards."
I dont know if this is what you were looking for but I hope it helps.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #6
Citizen

Red Emma 
Citizen
Sacred Circle STudy

Yes, thanks, Nite Goddess.

It occurs to me that I should have another go at the book. Trouble is that our has has been reoganized a couple of times since I bought the deck and I can't find it.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #7
Citizen

Nitegoddess 
Citizen

Red Emma,
You know when you are meant to find it .... it will be found.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #8
Citizen

contrascarpe 
Citizen

Bummer

I got home today and voila!, my package from eBay with my Sacred Circle set. Unfortunately I had to go work out and delay my excitement for an hour and a half.

So I got home and I ripped the package open and started going through the cards. By the time I reached the minors I started getting suspicious about something. Yup, the King of Swords is missing. Figured then that maybe it was out of order so I continued. Another card missing, then another. I finally stopped and counted them. There were a total of 8 cards missing and this was a sealed deck!

A note went out to the seller so I am waiting to hear if I can get a replacement but what a disappointment after waiting so long.

Dan
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #9
Citizen

Nitegoddess 
Citizen

So sorry to hear that Dan .. I know when I seen my package I was so excited. I hope they can send you another deck. I would ask if they would ship it overnight at their expense due to their mistake. Just a thought. In the meantime... take a look at the Ace of Swords. That is the card we are working on this week. Might as well use them while you are awaiting their reply.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #10

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.