Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996

· Tarot Decks   · Tarot Meanings   · Tarot Forum   · Home

Tarot Gallery Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Thoth Tarot > Golden Dawn Traditions

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post, share readings, search, view extra boards and more.

Hope to see you in the forum soon!

Tsym 
Resident

The hermetic tarot

Hello all.

I recently got this deck and I absolutely love it. It is a very intense deck. It's my third deck and I feel as though it's about to be my most used deck.

Anyways the Hebrew lettering and words have been the most difficult for me to learn because I've never really familiarized myself with the kaballah and the likes.
A lot of the cards I believe are names of archangels or angels. Does anyone know where I can find translations of these angels. I've seen some pages of the 72 names, but no side by side translations.

The devil card is one I'd like to learn soon, for it keeps popping up.
Here's a link to the card. http://m.tarot.com/tarot/cards/the_devil/hermetic

Thanks
Tsym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #1
Zephyros 
Jedi

The names don't have translations exactly, because they're names, not words. They are derived from places the three verses in the Bible that have the same number of letters one atop the other, and it is believed that these constitute the 72 names of God.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shemhamphorasch

Each angel has its own attributes, which are written down somewhere, I'll find it later.

As for Qabalah, I earnestly recommend you give it a try. It isn't difficult and gives a much greater perspective on this and other Golden Dawn decks. There are a number of threads at the top of the Kabbalah forum describing the basics of of, especially as regards to Tarot.

Old 24-06-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #2
Tsym 
Resident

Thank you for the info.

I will definitely be looking into Qabalah.

In the lwb the deck came with it does have some archangel names translated, but some cards it's doesn't say what it is, like the devil card.
Old 24-06-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #3
Richard 
Le Mat

You must be looking for transliterations of the Hebrew spelling into English spelling, such as שלום = Shalom.

Old 24-06-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #4
Nemia 
Matronis Aufaniabus vslm

Zephyros, I'm sure you know - is the word on the Devil card really הנאל? Shouldn't it be הניאל? I don't know what הנאל might mean, it's not one of the names.
Nemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #5
Tsym 
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
You must be looking for transliterations of the Hebrew spelling into English spelling, such as שלום = Shalom.
Yes! That's what I'm looking for.
Old 24-06-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #6
Zephyros 
Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemia View Post
Zephyros, I'm sure you know - is the word on the Devil card really הנאל? Shouldn't it be הניאל? I don't know what הנאל might mean, it's not one of the names.
Thanks, but you're wrong, I have no idea. (;

I haven't, strictly speaking, studied the angels but Wikipedia says that both ways of spelling are correct

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haniel

Of course, it is Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt. But, looking up either name in Hebrew on Google didn't give me relevant results.

Last edited by Zephyros; 24-06-2016 at 16:31.
Zephyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #7
Richard 
Le Mat

Regardie spells it הנאל in his big black GD brick. I think the Ciceros spell it הניאל.

Old 24-06-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #8
Abrac 
Citizen

This has what you're looking for, for the majors at least.

http://www.thelemapedia.org/index.ph..._Intelligences
Abrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #9
Abrac 
Citizen

I decided to make a chart with the Angel names and the cards to which they correspond. Uri Raz's page was helpful with the Hebrew names. It also has meanings for the names if a person's interested in that.

As I was working on this, I discovered several misprints on the cards and made notes as I came across them, along with a few other oddities.

The names in parentheses are from Regardie, the others are from Uri Raz. In most cases the spellings are very different but I think they're just two different ways of transliterating the Hebrew into English. There's one case I believe where Uri Raz may have read the Hebrew wrong.

I'm not sure how important it is to have the first and second Angels in the proper order. In several cases the order on the cards is different from both Uri Raz and Regardie, so I used the card order simply to avoid confusion.

Here it is. I made it into an image file because it's less hassle to upload and link to.

http://s33.postimg.org/sx47l1r6n/Angels.jpg
Abrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #10

Latest Threads in Tarot Decks

Latest Threads in Talking Tarot

Latest Threads in Using Tarot Cards

Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade your account to subscriber today