Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Books Free Tarot Readings Forum Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Thoth Tarot

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your Tarot cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot lovers, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post your thoughts, share readings, search, save threads, view extra boards and more.

post a reply

Trowa Strife 
Resident

The Best Thoth Deck

I have never gotten into the Thoth deck but I would like to scope around for the best copy I can find, however there are so many. Can someone shoot me in the direction of their favorite version of the deck and tell me why it is so?
Trowa Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016 Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #1
Zephyros 
Jedi

By version do you mean printing or edition or clone?

Old 27-10-2016 Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #2
Trowa Strife 
Resident

I mean edition. I hear some have extra magus cards, some have crisper artwork, there are different sizes, etc.
Old 27-10-2016 Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #3
Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

I have three copies of it: two of the large-format Samual Weiser edition from 1969, and one of the standard-size multiple-magus decks from 1983, which was touted at the time as being truer to the original art in terms of color. I like the larger size for study and the smaller for reading. I'm thinking of buying another current version - probably a "pocket" size, and the consensus on Amazon is that the A.G. Mueller "Swiss" one printed in Belgium is a better choice than the U.S. Games edition now printed in China. If I can find it, that is; U.S. Games and Amazon sellers seem to be doing a bit of "bait-and-switch" with the advertising. Note the customer reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by Barleywine; 27-10-2016 at 22:33.
Barleywine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016 Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #4
mercuryempress 
Gambit 2.0

I do have the plain ole green box from Amazon and I find its beautiful ..I remembered being surprised because I just noticed cards say AGMuller maybe thats where the confusion is from? I thought that was weird. I LOVE this deck. Love.

I have a greenie as well the white box c and I find it does have better card stock

but I love my regular plain ole green box Thoth. My hands are tiny and I'm still learning so I haven't opened them with up a trim yet so its a bit difficult but the card stock is thin so I can get a really good side by side shuffle. They are just as gorgeous without you having to spend an arm and a leg on a deck... gorg

As far as sizes go I'm bias towards bigger cards I do intend on getting a Purple box I believe its smaller than the green but bigger than the blue?
at least that's what I'm hoping for...

Last edited by mercuryempress; 28-10-2016 at 00:08.
mercuryempress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016 Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #5
Trowa Strife 
Resident

One thing I notice is the words-on-words. This is somewhat disorienting for me. Which deck minimizes this contrast?
Old 28-10-2016 Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #6
Babalon Jones 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowa Strife View Post
One thing I notice is the words-on-words. This is somewhat disorienting for me. Which deck minimizes this contrast?
You could get a large version and trim it.

My current favorite was a gift from a friend. It is the one that comes in a gold box and says "ORIGINAL Aleister Crowley THOTH TAROT" copyright by Ordo Templi Orientis/AGM AGMuller Urania. It is smaller in size but a very high quality printing and good coloring. Titles are in German, as is the substantial booklet. I am not sure if there is an English language version or if it is out of print.

But I also love my other versions, a 3 Magi, a mini Hexery, a Greenie. I have some of the large "standard" versions too but no longer the boxes so I forget which is which. The only one I should have but don't which is silly, is a trimmed one. I would say that is because I am lazy but it is not exactly that. I just do so much paper trimming for art and tarot purposes that it is like the cobbler's kid having no shoes.

Old 28-10-2016 Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #7
Le Fanu 
Citizen

I love the standard sized 3-magus purple box Thoth which inexplicably vanished a few years ago (luckily I bought three or four of them). I also have a few large Green / 2 of Disk box ones but one is unaccountably richer in colouring than the others and I often reach for that one.

I have a few greenies but Freddie popped one in with a Trade as a gift a few years ago. It has astrological symbols in pencil in the borders of some cards and for some reason I love this deck. No box, the faintest hue of greenness, but nice thick cards and gently old-fashioned tones in the artwork.

I also have a large trimmed one I got from Moonbow which I love. I trimmed one myself but she did a better job of it.

Also love my gold box mini Urania-Verlag; the one with the High Priestess on the box. That too inexplicably vanished from the marketplace. I like the pale, nuanced watercolouring. It seems to show up the shading better.

So many I love!

Old 28-10-2016 Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #8
Zephyros 
Jedi

There's one version that has a misprint on the Eight of Swords. There's a thread about it:

Pocket Thoth printing defect?

Old 28-10-2016 Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #9
Trowa Strife 
Resident

So it looks like the "purple" box is one of the best copies. What is the difference between in and the "green" box and how do make sure I know which one I have buying?
Old 29-10-2016 Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #10
  post a reply

Latest Threads in Tarot Decks

Latest Threads in Talking Tarot

Latest Threads in Using Tarot Cards

Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade your account to subscriber today