Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996

· Tarot Decks   · Tarot Meanings   · Tarot Forum   · Home

Tarot Gallery Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Thoth Tarot

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post, share readings, search, view extra boards and more.

Hope to see you in the forum soon!

GoldSun 
Resident

Which is the Thoth Tarot that people feel is spooky?

Hi

Does anyone know which Crowley Thoth Tarot is the one where people feel it has something "Occulty" or "Other Worldly" about it?

I have looked through the forum but cannot find which ISBN number it is.

Thank You
GoldSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #1
imno007 
Resident

Well, there is only one Thoth tarot. The only variations of it, as far as I know, have to do with image quality. Do you mean Thoth-based decks?
imno007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #2
GoldSun 
Resident

Hi

Yes it is to do with one of the Thoth Editions being a better quality, but also I have read on here some find a certain Thoth different like it draws them in different to other Thoth Crowley Edition.
GoldSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #3
imno007 
Resident

You can look here to see most of the various editions:

http://www.tarotgarden.com/library/decks/thothtable.php

There's also a long thread here on AT:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=35594

Most people seem to prefer the color fidelity of either the early Llewellyn editions or the A.G. Müller editions, but other than some difference in hue between various editions, the only differences concern the backs, the printing on the border fronts, and of course size. And there's a couple different versions of the Fool included with some of the decks. The images themselves, though, are exactly the same in every edition, to the best of my knowledge. So...which one of these would "draw you in" would, I guess, just be the one that looks the best to you- because I can't imagine what difference(s) would account for one edition being more "Occulty" or "Other Worldly" than the others. Seems it would be a very subjective thing. But maybe some others will pop in to give you an opinion on the matter.
Old 25-11-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #4
Zephyros 
Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldSun View Post
Hi

Does anyone know which Crowley Thoth Tarot is the one where people feel it has something "Occulty" or "Other Worldly" about it?

Thank You
I think you mean the "green" Thoth, although I don't know it's specifications. But, some editions have a greenish tint to them that permeates both the images as well as the borders. I don't know if people think it's "spooky," but that's my guess. You should do a search for "green Thoth" using the Google search, you'll find lots of threads.

Last edited by Zephyros; 25-11-2016 at 17:06.
Zephyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #5
Emily 
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldSun View Post
Hi

Thank You
I also think you might be referring to a green Thoth. These were mainly in white boxes, a few made it into green boxes, but they are vintage decks - they are called greenies because of the green hue that covers the card, even the fonts are dark green. It gives the deck a whole new feel, you either like it or you don't and the green hue does vary on different decks - some are really, really green others, like mine, just have a nice green wash over them. If you search out green or greenie Thoths on here you'll find some scans.

You won't be able to buy a greenie new but they do come up on Ebay still.

-----------------------------------
A good student never stops learning
Having fun with the Liber T
Not all who wander are lost
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #6
Zephyros 
Jedi

Fashions are a funny thing. When I first joined AT these green decks were almost universally hated, and people were practically giving them away. Really, in the trading threads people used to just pop a greenie into the package just because they wanted to get rid of them.

But time has made them sought-after collector's items.

Old 25-11-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #7
PathWalker 
Walking the old paths

Quote:
Originally Posted by imno007 View Post
Politely snipped

... And there's a couple different versions of the Fool included with some of the decks.
One version of the deck has three different Magus (Magician) cards, not the Fool This thread has the details I think

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=30534

PathWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #8
imno007 
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathWalker View Post
One version of the deck has three different Magus (Magician) cards, not the Fool This thread has the details I think

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=30534
Yea, I just mispoke - or miswrote in this case. I actually have a deck with the alternate Magus cards, but thanks for the correction.
Old 26-11-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #9
imno007 
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyros View Post
Fashions are a funny thing. When I first joined AT these green decks were almost universally hated, and people were practically giving them away. Really, in the trading threads people used to just pop a greenie into the package just because they wanted to get rid of them.

But time has made them sought-after collector's items.
This is true. I've seen many people online complaining about the lack of true and vibrant colors with the green deck(s), but there seems to be another group of people who just love them. If it is a green deck he's looking for, then "White Box C" fits the bill. In fact, here it is on eBay with the title "Aleister Crowley's "Greenie" THOTH Tarot Deck *White Box C* OCCULT Thelema O.T.O", and you can see pictures of some of the cards in the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aleister-Cro...123?rmvSB=true

Not sure if any other versions have this green cast.
Old 26-11-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #10

Latest Threads in Tarot Decks

Latest Threads in Talking Tarot

Latest Threads in Using Tarot Cards

Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade your account to subscriber today