Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Which is the Thoth Tarot that people feel is spooky?

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Thoth Tarot


 
gregory's Avatar
gregory  gregory is offline
Cat on a cold stone roof
 
Join Date: 01 Jan 2004
Location: The world of the things that could have been.
Posts: 72,249
gregory 
Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory's Avatar

No other versions do have the green cast, though a few showed up in the green boxed USG put out later - from the previous printing.

It's lovely. I have a few. That is a REALLY nice one on ebay, and if I could justify it to myself I'd buy it. I have only one that green and it came to me missing a card - so when someone else with a greenie was missing a card I let him have one form mine. Now my very green one is missing two cards. Pity, that. (I have substituted les green ones from one I bought in the hope that it was PROPERLY green - but it's just not the same.)

Greenies are Great !
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #11
Nemia  Nemia is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 29 Sep 2013
Location: End of Nowhere
Posts: 2,492
Nemia 
Citizen

I like my greenie, too. I bought it in a green box many years back in Israel, and when I opened it, I couldn't understand what I see - it looked so different from my small German Thoth... it's a bit gloomy but it's the deck I still use most often.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #12
PathWalker's Avatar
PathWalker  PathWalker is offline
Walking the old paths
 
Join Date: 02 Jun 2008
Location: Always on chalk in my heart...
Posts: 11,457
PathWalker 
Walking the old paths

PathWalker's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by imno007 View Post
Yea, I just mispoke - or miswrote in this case. I actually have a deck with the alternate Magus cards, but thanks for the correction.
No worries, just didn't want to confuse the first poster more LOL

I have only one Thoth - it's in that kind of box but I have nothing to compare it against so I've no idea how green it is
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #13
Abrac  Abrac is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 13 Aug 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,466
Abrac 
Citizen

I got my Greenie out and looked at the booklet, it's the same 8th printing as that one on eBay. This particular one is the best Greenie I've seen. But $125? c'mon.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #14
Laura Borealis's Avatar
Laura Borealis  Laura Borealis is offline
pirate borealis
 
Join Date: 23 Feb 2004
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 17,790
Laura Borealis 
pirate borealis

Laura Borealis's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
No other versions do have the green cast, though a few showed up in the green boxed USG put out later - from the previous printing.

It's lovely. I have a few. That is a REALLY nice one on ebay, and if I could justify it to myself I'd buy it. I have only one that green and it came to me missing a card - so when someone else with a greenie was missing a card I let him have one form mine. Now my very green one is missing two cards. Pity, that. (I have substituted les green ones from one I bought in the hope that it was PROPERLY green - but it's just not the same.)

Greenies are Great !
They are! I benefited from your Greenie Generosity - you sent me a replacement for mine's missing Hex card. For which, thanks again.

Part of the appeal of Greenies is nostalgia. I lost my original one (well, it was lost to me, anyway - long story) so I picked up another on eBay. But it wasn't $125.00! About a hundred less.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #15
Astraea's Avatar
Astraea  Astraea is offline
Senior Citizen
 
Join Date: 13 Feb 2003
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 4,111
Astraea 
Senior Citizen

Astraea's Avatar

I bought my white-box greenie for $12.95 US in the early 1980s - loved it from the get-go and didn't know that anything was "wrong" with it until I joined AT and started seeing posts about the vibrant colors in newer decks. Over time, a wide appreciation for the greenie has developed. I still love it and am so glad I hung onto it. I wouldn't pay $125 to buy another one, but that price might be acceptable to a Thoth collector who doesn't have an original greenie. I'm not aware of the greenie being considered "spooky" - wonder what that's about.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #16
gregory's Avatar
gregory  gregory is offline
Cat on a cold stone roof
 
Join Date: 01 Jan 2004
Location: The world of the things that could have been.
Posts: 72,249
gregory 
Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Borealis View Post
They are! I benefited from your Greenie Generosity - you sent me a replacement for mine's missing Hex card. For which, thanks again.
That was from a VERY broken one which I bought to fill the spaces in my broccoli green one ! (I have - a lot of greenies.)
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #17
Emily's Avatar
Emily  Emily is offline
Wanderer
 
Join Date: 14 Feb 2002
Location: England
Posts: 7,664
Emily 
Wanderer

Emily's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraea View Post
I'm not aware of the greenie being considered "spooky" - wonder what that's about.
I can remember when I first bought my green Thoth second hand and the box came covered in red wax, I felt like it had been used for other things not just reading. It also didn't feel so good in the hand, so back in 2003 I posted a few negative posts about the deck, I did think it was spooky and it did creep me out.

It is actually quite embarrassing reading those posts now, the green Thoth turned into a firm favourite. I struggle reading the Thoth but the greenie always has something to say, it's a nice deck to use.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #18
Astraea's Avatar
Astraea  Astraea is offline
Senior Citizen
 
Join Date: 13 Feb 2003
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 4,111
Astraea 
Senior Citizen

Astraea's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
I can remember when I first bought my green Thoth second hand and the box came covered in red wax, I felt like it had been used for other things not just reading. It also didn't feel so good in the hand, so back in 2003 I posted a few negative posts about the deck, I did think it was spooky and it did creep me out.

It is actually quite embarrassing reading those posts now, the green Thoth turned into a firm favourite. I struggle reading the Thoth but the greenie always has something to say, it's a nice deck to use.
Emily, thank you for that explanation. I think I remember those posts now...at around the same time, I received a used PoMo that felt AWFUL, and no amount of cleansing could touch it. Finally a selenium wand lain on top of the deck for a few days made it tolerable to hold. But I never wanted to use those cards, and ended up getting another used PoMo that was fine.

I'm so glad that your greenie became one of your favorites. Don't be embarrassed about those old posts, though...having personally experienced the same phenomenon, I can attest to the strength of such feelings. It wasn't the greenie, per se, that gave you the creeps, it was that specific deck because of something in the way it had been used - nothing against the Thoth, itself, or the greenies. Just like there's nothing wrong with the PoMo, but something had layered itself over that particular copy. It's wonderful that you were able to refresh your greenie and redeem it from whatever that energy was.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #19
Achlys  Achlys is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 27 May 2015
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 860
Achlys 
Citizen

Personally, I'm still in the anti-greenie camp lol

Honestly though, I've had people just assume all versions of the Thoth are creepy or spooky. I've met some readers that refuse to touch it and I never quite understood it. I suppose it has to do with their feelings on Crowley himself, but I've always been confused by that reaction tbh.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #20


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.