Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Sun and Moon Tarot - Serious occultism for the younger reader

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Thoth Tarot

Resident

Wheel of Fantastic 
Resident
Sun and Moon Tarot - Serious occultism for the younger reader

I'm posting this to see if anyone else shares my reaction to this deck.

I have recently renewed my interest in the Thoth and the more approachable Thoth related tarot decks, well actually just the amazing Cosmic Tarot. Then I heard about the Sun and Moon Tarot which has been around since 2010.

This deck doesn't seem to get a lot of mention here but it has absolutely floored me - illustrations that appear very suitable for a children's book but with carefully thought out symbolism and the meanings and some re-intepreted art of the Thoth. Wow.

That is quite the combination and I applaud Vanessa Decor for managing two seemingly widely divergent approaches in one deck. While not as heavily occult as the Thoth, the Sun and Moon is still a serious tarot deck.

Does anyone else feel this way and do you feel that the Sun and Moon can actually help with using the Thoth? I intend to give this a try.

I read somewhere that Vanessa's first Tarot deck was the Thoth - she appears to understand it fairly well and has given Crowley's work a new child friendly twist (no phallic Devil cards here)!
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #1
Citizen

willowy 
Citizen

I've never seen this deck before,but just had a google after reading you're post,and I agree,simple but some interestingly deep touches and symbolism.You've just enabled me-and we're not even in that thread lol
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #2
Jedi

Zephyros 
Jedi

Is it really a Thoth-type deck, though? I'm asking because the Star and Emperor's Hebrew letters haven't been counterchanged.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #3
Resident

Wheel of Fantastic 
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyros View Post
Is it really a Thoth-type deck, though? I'm asking because the Star and Emperor's Hebrew letters haven't been counterchanged.
Well, I can't speak to that myself, I've only recently begun to re-acquaint myself with the Thoth having not used it for many years. I feel it is certainly heavily influenced by the Thoth with similar meanings re-intepreted with pictorial pips and court cards that follow Thoth more than RWS. If I was using this deck purely intuitively, I wouldn't be coming up with readings that follow RWS; Crowley's influence runs through this deck.

I personally feel the SaM is a nice alternative if I want to use a different style of deck with Thoth meanings rather than shoe horning the meanings into a RWS style deck.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #4
Resident

Eric in NJ 
Resident

Ha, my absolute favorite deck (at the moment... The Star comes out this May).

I think of it as an intro to Thoth for people unfamiliar. There is a noticeable RWS influence also. I'd say it occupies a space almost exactly between Thoth and RWS.

It does have the single identifying words on all the cards, pips included, just like Thoth. Some majors are double identified e.g. Art/Temperance.

Princes/Princesses not Pages etc.

The art is amazing, really out of this world.

I get good readings on this one, second only to Thoth really.

The backs are reversible, which is very non-Thoth.

Eric.

edited for typos
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #5
Resident

blueowl 
Resident

Thank you for the thorough review! My daughters are getting older and showing interest and this might be a good one for their list.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #6
Citizen

Aeon418 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyros View Post
The Aeon-Judgement card is ... interesting. The same old symbolism with a new name tacked on. How does the traditional image of the Last Judgement represent the Aeon?
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #7
A star-gleam on a stone

AnemoneRosie 
A star-gleam on a stone

I'm still on the fence about whether or not I want to purchase this deck.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #8
Jedi

Zephyros 
Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon418 View Post
The Aeon-Judgement card is ... interesting. The same old symbolism with a new name tacked on. How does the traditional image of the Last Judgement represent the Aeon?
Yes, it does seem like it's more "Thoth scented" rather than having any actual connection. There have been threads here before about what actually constitutes a Thoth deck.For me it is, at the very least, the Star/Emperor interchange and as you mentioned, Art and the Aeon being... well, I'm not sure Thelemic would be the correct definition, but certainly not traditional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel of Fantastic View Post
I read somewhere that Vanessa's first Tarot deck was the Thoth - she appears to understand it fairly well and has given Crowley's work a new child friendly twist (no phallic Devil cards here)!
To be honest, I don't see that there's much evidence of her understanding of the Thoth in this deck. Aside from the odd name or what have you, I don't see many similarities.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #9
Citizen

Achlys 
Citizen

Personally, after reviewing the Sun and Moon images I can find online, I really don't see much of a connection to the Thoth. I think if anything, it might be slightly influenced by the Thoth, but I wouldn't call it a Thoth-based deck per se.

If anything, the Night Sun tarot is more Thoth-based while using non-traditional Thoth imagery.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #10

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.