So as many of you probably know a group of us recently completed the 2016 Sacred Days of Yule
reading journey. This got me to thinking about doing something similar around the time of the Summer Solstice. I’m thinking of calling this spread Sacred Days of Midsummer, or just Sacred Summer Solstice.
I pulled out some books and started doing some research on other sacred days, festivals, etc around the time of the Summer Solstice. My idea here is to draw on many of the concepts and themes usually associated with the time of the solstice (ideas such as light, growth, fruit, etc) and put them together to serve as a sacred path to walk during Midsummer time. My idea is based on Linda J. Paul’s Sacred Days of Yule spread, which can be found here
. I love the idea of taking time to intentionally connect with the sacredness of the seasons. Summer is my favorite season (my username is probably a clue, lol), so I knew I had to try this!
So here are the ideas I have put together so far for a Sacred Days of Midsummer spread. I would love your feedback on the spread, and also would love to know if anyone would be interested in doing something like this as a group reading around the time of the Summer Solstice. The cards are laid out in a circle of 12 as illustrated here
1. Birth of the Muses – June 14: This card shows how our inspiration and creativity is manifesting.
2. Vestalia – June 15: An ancient Roman festival dedicated to Vesta, Goddess of the Hearth. This card shows us our hearth, the fire at the center of our life and home, and how to tend to it.
3. Night of the Teardrop – June 16: Remembrance of the tears of Isis causing the Nile River to overflow. This card shows what our emotions are telling us at this time.
4. Juno, Goddess of Fertility and Union – June 17: Celebrating the ancient Greek goddess for whom the month of June is named. This card shows us an area of fertile growth in our lives.
5. Festival of Strawberries – June 18: As the strawberries ripen, this card shows us the sweetness in our lives and encourages us to live in the moment.
6. Oak King – June 19: A dedication to the Oak King, who is now near the height of his power in his battle with the Holly King. This card shows us our strength.
7. Scrying – June 20: In the tradition of scrying at the time of Midsummer, this card shows us a blessing to come.
8. Summer Solstice – June 21: We are at the height of the sun’s power, the longest day. This card shows us how to shine our own light like the Sun.
9. Honey Moon – June 22: This card shows us how to release anxieties or worries, how to enjoy ourselves.
10. Saint John’s Eve – June 23: Like the herbs traditionally gathered on St. John’s Eve, this card shows what protects or heals us.
11. Guru Purnima – June 24: Indian festival of expressing gratitude to teachers. This card reminds us of a lesson we have learned, or an experience or person who taught us something, that we should remember and have gratitude for as we move forward.
12. Parvati, Earth Mother – June 25: The card shows us how to ground ourselves and how to connect with the earth’s abundance.