Thoth Pathways Study Group: Atu XXI - The Universe

Zephyros

Getting back to forum basics. I can't promise I'll always remember to post, so if I forget, feel free to post new threads. At some point I'll make an index, after a few cards. Let's get started!

Atu XXI: The Universe
Malkuth - Yesod
Saturn/Earth
Tau ת

Lilianne

From a divination viewpoint I once thought of this card along with Death as it represents finality, the end of striving, in which case there's nothing left. but I've moved on a bit since, seeing its path as the beginning of spirituality.

The path is dark - deep dirty blues, but my Guide is a female voice who may be a manifestation of Luna - I have never enquired beyond ascertaining She was a genuine guide. What at first seemed straightforward has turned out to be a complex path with a lot happening thereon. Though it was possible to jump to Yesod the right way seemed the long route along the path.

Zephyros

Both the end and the beginning of the Great Work. This path holds some aspects of interest (although they all do). As being on the Middle Pillar, it has connections to Art and of course the Priestess. Notice how the Priestess is all female, Art is half and half while the Universe is a fully integrated hermaphrodite. This shows a certain process, from top to bottom and back again, and more specifically in what each path "appreciates." The Priestess is all about adoration of Keter, she is the end of the quest, the Holy of Holies. To mate with her is to achieve final initiation and achieve unity. Art is instrumental in creation of the universe, it takes the inner powers of the Priestess and and, having descended below Tiphareth, goes further in its alchemy and shows its mixing and melding.

The Universe, finally, is the final stage, the stamp of approval. The Priestess and the figure in the universe are closely related; one holds the secret of unity, Art shows the secret of duality and the Universe shows multiplicity. Taken together, these three cards could show different facets of Babalon. From down here it might be seen that there is a difference, but in a way, these three cards are actually one and the same, from different points of view.

Lilianne

Thank you for those valuable observations. I can see how the Priestess relates to the Universe but I hadn't dwelt on the relationship with Art which I'm now looking at for its connection to Tiphareth.

From what you say, then, an attempt to descend below Malkuth would seem to take one back to Kether. Is this possible?

I have wondered how the Moon (XVIII) fitted in the scheme as this is obviously connected to paths on the middle pillar through various attributions, such as the Priestess who seems to be more about the light of the moon whereas the Moon (card) is about the dark. It also seems to tie in with Art through the Pisces/Sagittarius Jupiter.

The Moon path will probably have its own thread in due time.

Grigori

Universe is such a solid card, attributed to Saturn as the 'border' or structure of the classical solar system, and also a dual attribution to the Earth element or world of form. I see the Universe has a certain fixidity, or rigidity which isn't always emphasised in a lot of my book readings, I think particularly on the back of the very positive interpretations seen in a lot of RWS work. In the Thoth version even the angels and their wings are solid and unmoving, and despite the bright colours the background behind them appears black and saturnine. Fixed, solid world of form.

Building on Closrapexa's comments above, I often think of taoism in connection with Thelemic ideas.
[Crowley's translation]The Dao formulated the One. The One exhaled the Two. The Two were parents of the Three. The Three were parents of all things.[/quote]
I see the Universe as the 'all things', emphasised by the stars (72 I believe, as a nod to the Shemhamphorash). Perhaps the material body of Nuit, compared to the 1-2-3 above the abyss.

I find Universe as a pathway from Kether (Earth) to Yesod (Moon) somehow less fitting, in comparison to the reverse direction from Yesod to Kether. For an aspirant wanting to move from the solid world of earth, to the more fluid world of Yesod, it seems almost unfitting to get there through such a solid pathway. Maybe this suggests work, or effort. However the inverse, moving from Yesod to Malkuth seems very appropriate to such a solid path.

I guess this is idea we'll confront as we move through the other cards, and consider how the cards can be similar to, or different to the spheres they connect, or moderate between the two.

Aeon418

Both the end and the beginning of the Great Work. This path holds some aspects of interest (although they all do). As being on the Middle Pillar, it has connections to Art and of course the Priestess.

Add the Paths: 13th + 25th + 32nd = 70. Ayin - the Eye.

Liber 418 said:
Lift up your heads, O Houses of Eternity: for my Father goeth forth to judge the World. One Light, let it become a thousand, and one sword ten thousand, that no man hide him from my Father's eye in the Day of Judgment of my God. Let the Gods hide themselves: let the Angels be troubled and flee away: for the Eye of My Father is open, and the Book of the Aeons is fallen.
Liber 418 said:
The End! the End! the End: For the Eye of Shiva He hath opened: the Universe is naked before Him: for the Aeon of Saturn leaneth toward the Bosom of Death.

Zephyros

From what you say, then, an attempt to descend below Malkuth would seem to take one back to Kether. Is this possible?

I'm not sure I understand the question, but it sounds like an interesting discussion. It would be really good if you could post it as a separate question in the Kabbalah forum, where it can be delved into more deeply.
[/QUOTE]

Universe is such a solid card, attributed to Saturn as the 'border' or structure of the classical solar system, and also a dual attribution to the Earth element or world of form. I see the Universe has a certain fixidity, or rigidity which isn't always emphasised in a lot of my book readings, I think particularly on the back of the very positive interpretations seen in a lot of RWS work. In the Thoth version even the angels and their wings are solid and unmoving, and despite the bright colours the background behind them appears black and saturnine. Fixed, solid world of form.

Yes, it does seem more solid than the RWS version, which is so much brighter, in the clouds. To me its darkness suggests some form of contraction, such as at the center. Earth has a molten, liquid core, but it is denser and more pressurized than anything found on the surface. But its that same heat, pressure and solid density that allows creation to occur, so its another connection to the beginning and the end thing.

I find Universe as a pathway from Kether (Earth) to Yesod (Moon) somehow less fitting, in comparison to the reverse direction from Yesod to Kether. For an aspirant wanting to move from the solid world of earth, to the more fluid world of Yesod, it seems almost unfitting to get there through such a solid pathway. Maybe this suggests work, or effort. However the inverse, moving from Yesod to Malkuth seems very appropriate to such a solid path.

That's an interesting idea. I think that it is because beginnings are always more difficult, and you have to push through the obstacles of your own making that seem solid, but really aren't. This is perhaps why it leads to Yesod, of the Moon, as there is a certain lightening of the load. Sure, the Moon is illusionary, even at Yesod, but at least you know the difference (or a difference), unless you're insane and delusional. Or tripping. In any case, someone just learning to play the piano likely sees at first only the Malkuth, practice and work side. In time they begin to see the more emotional and fluid Yesod that allows people to actually connect to music.

Still, one thing I really like about the Universe is its nearness and approachability, and this probably comes from how solid you say it looks. This Universe, compared to the World, actually feels like it's talking about this universe, physical reality, which of course includes all space and planets and stars, etc. Through that, it makes those remote, far off places feel just a little closer. It's basically a picture of Everything, and because of that, in some ways it feels almost claustrophobic. At some point in the future, the universe will collapse from its own weight, and that will begin the process of universe-building all over again.

Add the Paths: 13th + 25th + 32nd = 70. Ayin - the Eye.

Which makes a lot of sense.

Aeon418

Which makes a lot of sense.

To me the Vesica formed by the four Kerubs is the Eye. In the Universe card the Eye has been opened. The veil of the purely material world has been parted and we are given a glimpse of the underlying mechanics and patterns behind the physical universe. The eternal dance of form and force behind the appearance of dead matter. Then there is the table of elements at the bottom of the card A skeletonic map of the structure behind the physical building blocks of matter. This all seems very appropriate on a card bridging the gap between the physical world of Malkuth and the Astral forms of Yesod.

The Magical Power attributed to Yesod is the Vision of the Machinery of the Universe. The realisation that change is stability and stability is change. It is the expanding viewpoint of the aspirant who has awakened to the reality of a Universe they never knew existed.
This card also signifies the initial awakening of Kundalini. The sleeping serpent coilded at the base of the spine.

On the flip side this card represents the clothing of force in form. The Eye becomes the Universal Vulva - the Gate (ThROA) of Matter. The proceeding patterns reach their final form and are given birth in the physical universe.

Liber LXV said:
II:55. Then let the End awake. Long hast thou slept, O great God Terminus! Long ages hast thou waited at the end of the city and the roads thereof.
Awake Thou! wait no more!