Need help identifying a deck

thorhammer

They're for playing tarocchi/tarock. I think there are more than a few - there are probably a lot of them.

\m/ Kat

gregory

Yes indeedy there are extremely many, and when you travel on the Continong, you see people playing tarock with them in the coffee bars of campsites when it is raining.

They CAN (I am told) be used for divination. I do have a few - but I have stopped collecting them unless they are extra special. (I do have the one debra linked to...)

Le Fanu

nisaba said:
Le Fanu? Gregory? Umbrae? Opinions?
First of all, thank you nisaba for lumping me in with such illustrious company *simpering curtsy*
..but what I thought you were referring to was not the type posted by Debra.

Aren't they the so-called reversible "tarock" decks which one pounces on in Continental tobacconists - heart missing a beat - thinking one has just discovered a tarot souvenir? Ive done this time and time again. Once, when I was 13 or 14 years old, I was on holiday in France and pounced on a Jeu de Tarot (black box with a big red heart on the cover) and bought it thinking Id found a new tarot deck to take home with me. Imagine how sad little me was when, having spent my holiday pocket money allowance, I opened it up back at the hotel and couldn't find a death card. Ive since got wise.

However, the kind of deck I thought nisaba was referring to is this type of thing; the spectacular Tarot Chinoise (?) published by Grimaud. I have this deck. It really is beautiful, but despite it being on taroteca, it isn't tarot as we know it. A different sibling altogether. The one Debra posted does actually have recognisable majors. There is a Death card, Devil etc etc. These tarock/tarot cards have reversible images but are different.

Im sure you can read with them. I see no reason why not...

gregory

Got that too - though it ain't Chinois, it is the Allemand (GERMAN !) a Deux tetes..... It is as tarock as the others - i.e. not. See also LS Tarot of reincarnation..... same kind of not really tarot stuff - I would call it a tarock deck, myself.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/reincarnation/

Le Fanu

gregory said:
Got that too - though it ain't Chinois, it is the Allemand (GERMAN !) a Deux tetes.....
That's it.. I knew Chinois didn't sound right. The Reincarnation isn't reversible though, is it? Really don't get the concept of the Reincarnation deck. I mean, once you've found out you were a toucan or bearded lizard in a past life, what on earth do you do with them?

gregory

No - not reversible - but the same tarocky side.

nisaba

Le Fanu said:
First of all, thank you nisaba for lumping me in with such illustrious company *simpering curtsy*
<slap slap>

Okay, so I wasn't thinking clearly and didn't get the word right. What else is new?