The more I see it, the less I like it.

Debra

I like the art. I like the way she draws, she's got a sure hand, no amateur, and her compositions are just right, I think--each card a little stage set.

Holly doll

Tell that to the 'deposed Kings' :)

One thing I didnt like about RW was it seemed behind the times as far as sexual equality goes. It doesnt seem 'sexually liberated' to me.

Told you... cranky old man deck... :p

Lokismile

I hate all the RWS decks, and I don't use that word lightly when discussing something as dear to me as tarot.

I have one, the Radiant, for contrast / juxtaposition when doing research or study, but I rarely use it now that those deeds are done.
I also utilize it as a staple in my, "intro to tarot" sessions I do for clients.

Otherwise, I'll take my Thoth, my Deviant Moon, my Prague, my Maroon, my ...

Dislike it as much as you like, you are not a scarce minority in opinion.

PAMUYA

Been around the block once or twice with more beautiful decks, but when I want substance, something that lasts, I am back with RWS. :) I went through my fickle stage as many do.

So many used RSW to learn with, why? Because the symbols that are used are correct, a lot of thought and knowledge were put into the making of this deck. Once you have learned them, these pictures are burned into your memory, it is what you pull up in your subconscious regardless of what deck you use to read with. So even though you use a different deck what deck are you really reading from?

To each their own. This old lady will use the "old mans deck". I like old men...well all men :)

Zephyros

I don't think the RWS that attractive, although I do appreciate its importance. At the same time, its problem is that it is far bigger than itself, like the Mona Lisa. It is so famous and so ubiquitous that it is almost impossible to judge it objectively. The Mona Lisa itself isn't that impressive when you see it in real life but, you know, it does have some virtues.

Richard

I don't think the RWS that attractive, although I do appreciate its importance. At the same time, its problem is that it is far bigger than itself, like the Mona Lisa. It is so famous and so ubiquitous that it is almost impossible to judge it objectively. The Mona Lisa itself isn't that impressive when you see it in real life but, you know, it does have some virtues.
It is ironic that the RWS has become so popular that it is the deck of choice to illustrate so many beginners books. For example, how can one look at Trump 14 without wondering what in the world that's all about? Elementary books BS about it, often latching onto the primary dictionary meaning of Temperance as moderation. At least some recent books explain that it is more akin to the process of tempering steel, but that still leaves a bunch of other stuff to BS about, such as the path leading to a glowing crown in the sky, while the sun symbol is on the forehead of the angel. The meaningful weirdness of the Temperance card is usually glossed over with platitudinous nonsense. I'm not really faulting the authors. It has to be that way; it is the result of the RWS being a rather poor example of a beginners' deck.

Then there is Ravenest's observation that the RWS has become a dinosaur, which can't be denied, since the stuff that Waite tried to both hide and reveal in the symbolism is now out of the closet. For example, the missing leopard in the Queen of Wands no longer needs to be morphed into a black house cat. At the same time, I am not dissing the deck. It is what it is, and it is a masterpiece in its own way, but it is somehow out of synch with tarot history. It is both esoterically obsolete and exoterically incongruous, neither of which are really anyone's fault. I still love the damn thing, however.

Alta

I guess I am out of synch as I never thought of the RWS as ugly. I find the illustrations charming though very much of their time, which is fine with me as I rather like illustrations of that period. I cut my teeth in tarot with Waite's somewhat baffling book and that may explain my attachment. I can and do use both the Thoth and Marseilles and have read extensively about both and do not share the opinion they are somehow greater decks though both of great value in their own rights. There is much to be gained using this deck however if the illustration style puts you off, goodness knows there are lots of options.

ravenest

So many used RSW to learn with, why? Because the symbols that are used are correct ...

I have to disagree strongly with that. I suppose I cant go beyond the level of personal opinion without posting a poll but I seriously doubt THAT was the reason why 'so many used the RSW to lean with'.

Mine was given to me by someone that didnt want it, after a while I didnt want it. They got it as it was 'the ' current deck. People advise others to buy it to 'start with' but I never heard 'because the symbols are correct' ... shopkeepers recommend it when asked as a general deck over all the other specific ones ... some shops with only a few decks usually have it. For a long time it was the pop deck , the vast variation available nowadays of cards and related products is a new relatively new phenomena .

I've used them myself, I have friends that have used them (going back over 30 years) I have presented and attended workshops where people bought their own decks, for many things including different deck comparisons ... and that is the first time I have heard that. They liked the pictures, the scenes or the artwork , found the books difficult and obscure, found it easy to make a story about the pictures, it helped their intuition but never because the symbols that are used on the cards are correct.

Rhinemaiden

What do you mean with outgrow that stage of reading?

I have been looking for other printings of the rider, the golden universal, radiant, and so on, and I did not liked any. In fact I was using it because it IS the rider, but I do not have any other reason. Maybe is time to in to another stage on my tarot journal.
I started with a gilded, and after some time I found it a bit unreal, and I got the Rws. now its time for the golden and the illuminate, and I will have to find an alternative to take in my bag.
I do not want my bag being stolen or lost with a nice deck on it

have you looked at the International Icon tarot? It's an RWS in its most elemental form... I have the deck and like it very much.

caridwen

I bought a Rider White month ago or so. I think is a fabulous deck to start and learn, but from some days ago, the more I look to the deck, the more I find it horrible. Ugly. Simpy, poor technical drawing, ugly colours. Even the blue sky of the star is ugly.
Does it happened to you?
Is the cheapest deck I think I have, so is the one I take with me on my bag, and is with me at the office, just in case I need it. But each time I find it more and more ugly. Total disconection with the deck.

The RW Original was my first deck and I really don't like other versions so I have about 5 copies of the Original (in case it runs out:laugh:) I really dislike the colours in other decks as they are way too bright.

I didn't like the drawings either for years. I still don't think they are particularly good but I love this deck as it's a part of me now. It's the deck I always go back to when I'm sick of fluff and want a sensible answer.

I don't think you have to love the illustrations to use the deck and it grows on you. There are lots of versions out there and the Commemerative is very popular and coloured differently so you might like that. Once you learn the RW you can read most clones so it's worth hanging on to. I read with the RW exclusively for about 5 years before I bought any other deck.