the two of pentacles

wizzle

uroborus or uroboros

Since this particular snake is the uroboros, you might want to google that word up for additional ideas.

Dean

U.k

A Twisted snake in a figure Eight ( symbol for infinity or the symbol of the Yin/Yang ) unending renewal and eternal changes.

pumog

well, I'm stumped by this one.... I pulled it for a daily card and for me it looks v peaceful and meditative, all about unifying apparent opposites. But my day was far from meditatitve - full of PMS rage (I stood down an aggressive driver at a crossing ;-) ) irritating phone calls irritating people etc. Confused!

tink27

pumog

It looks to me like the image of the snake is moving closer and closer (rotating) as if trying to make something known or something of importance to you or the reader. It could be something that has been around for a while and sat in the shadows - but has particular importance now.

Dean said:
A Twisted snake in a figure Eight ( symbol for infinity or the symbol of the Yin/Yang ) unending renewal and eternal changes.

Perhaps the twisted snake is the rotation or movement of the yin and yang, the postive and negative movement of our psyche. It may be telling us to go with the flow being active then restful, work and play, wake and sleep so that we balance as a whole person rather than shifting from one state to another.

And, is not the Ouranous, the snake of the Cosmic Egg, that swallows itself - a snake eternally consuming itself?

tink

ravenest

Awww. Mike, snakes are wonderfull and beautiful! I'd suggest if you were handed a nice snake (some sort of non-venomous python) and shown how to handle it you'd love it. I have done this for some people and they are really amazed, the most common comment is, "It's not slimey at all." (I never thought they were).

I think Sulis'comments are pretty right on. Snake represents change for the reasons stated, also Kundalini rising (big change in conciousness), perhaps the crown is a symbol of the 'snakes' head rising up into that part of the brain that it activates - it has gained its crown?

Adjustment

The snake in the 2 of dics is definitely representing changes. back on December this card came up when asking where a situation was going and within a month the situation totally changed big time.

Sophie

Tara Deck said:
The snake in the 2 of dics is definitely representing changes. back on December this card came up when asking where a situation was going and within a month the situation totally changed big time.
Aha - that's good to know! I am getting it about a situation at the moment.

But the ouroboros motif linked to change is interesting, and reminds me of the French expression - "plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose" (the more things change, the more they remain the same) - because, of course, revolutions tend to go full circle. So the more things change, the greater the chance of the snake doubling back and biting its own tail - and things basically returning to where they were. There is a fundamental balance in the world - symbolised in the 2 of Disks by the yin-yang symbol - that tends to readjust matters after a profound change, and a redirection of energy. It can take time to play out entirely, but if you look at history and at human character, it's quite obvious. Incremental change, evolution, on the other hand, respects the balance, and so you have less chance of a complete return to previous conditions.

ravenest

As Crowley says about 'The point' and in relation to initiation; it ends where it began but is now changed from the experience of the journey.

Unfortunaly humans often seem impervious to this process.

prosewitch

snake symbolism...

Some people have already hit on snakes symbolizing change and transformation because they shed their skins and emerge anew (toads and frogs have symbolized similar things in world folklore because they also reemerge renewed after winter). I'd like to add that snakes are often agents of change--in Greek myth, the prophet Teireseis was changed from a man to a woman after encountering two snakes coupling. He killed the female snake, and became a woman for seven years. Then he encountered two snakes going at it again, and this time he killed the male of the two, and was transformed back into a man. This led to his gift of prophecy because Zeus and Hera were squabbling over who got more pleasure from sex, men or women, and so they found Teireseis to settle it since he'd experienced life as a man and as a woman. Hera had been denying that women got more pleasure from sex, and when Tireseis affirmed it, she blinded him out of rage. Then Zeus gave Teireseis the gift of prophecy to compensate him (I can just imagine Zeus saying "sorry dude, my wife's kinda bitchy sometime, bummer about your sight, um, have some foresight?").

Another example of a serpent instituting change comes from certain aboriginal peoples of Australia. In the Dreaming Time, the Rainbow Serpent came upon two women who were dancing. Their dancing caused their menstruation, and the blood attracted the snake, who devoured them but them regurgitated them, and from them the first people were born.

Also keep in mind the French legend about Melusine, temptress and enchantress who assumed a serpentine form and was discovered by her human husband.

Lest these folkloric examples sound totally random, keep in mind that British folklorists from William Butler Yeats to Alfred Nutt have been in touch with influential members of the Golden Dawn and other occult orders. I think some of these ideas may have been circulating in the intellectual climate when Crowley was designing his deck, which could be pure speculation on my part, but hey, I enjoy discussing snake symbolism. (for further reading, see a book called _Metamorphosis: The Dynamics of Symbolism in European Fairy Tales_ by Francisco Vaz da Silva, a brilliant Portuguese symbolic anthropologist)

rogue

crown

Ravenest, don't you think this snake should have been wearing a lunar crown instead?