Festival fee, need some advice

minrice

This weekend I'm signed up to be a vendor at a festival. I'm going to sell Tarot bags and I was going to do readings as well.

I thought I would do 3 card readings for $5, little ones that are basic and would amount to a paragraph if I was doing them here. Like the little ones I do in the exchange thread. To me a 3 carder like that is like charging $5 for 5 minutes of time.

That way, if the person wanted to explore something more in depth they can email me or give me a call and we can set something up to where I can have 1 on 1 time with that person in a more intimate setting than a huge festival.
I thought it was a good solution to take the pressure off of me, because I have done face to face readings with strangers, but not in a crowd or in this situation. I thought it would be a good opportunity to just introduce myself and people can get a feel for my reading style. And also, people who aren't familiar with Tarot can see if it is for them without paying for a $30 reading. I feel it makes Tarot more accessible to the majority who don't have $30 to spend.

I'm not saying that a reading isn't worth $20, $30, or even more than that. Absolutely not. I charge that on my website and I charge that when I have face to face appointments and I can spend quality time with that person. I just don't think that in this setting I personally am comfortable with doing a long reading for more money. And for me, personally, if I was to charge $30 I would need to give a great reading. I feel like it would be too much pressure on me, and I feel like I owe it to the person I am reading for to give my absolute best effort if I am charging that much and I just don't know if I can do it in a stressful festival situation in a crowd with a lot of distractions.

And honestly, I feel like in this situation people are going to take away 5 minutes of what I say (even if I did a long reading) and remember 3 of the 10+ cards I would use in a long reading anyway. So why not shorten the reading and charge them less in the first place? So I honestly thought a $5 reading, a small brief one, would be a good solution. It evens out to the same amount $5/5 minutes that $30/30 minutes would be.

I was told that this would send the message that a Tarot card reading isn't worth much at all. I was also told that if I did little readings for $5, I would make enemies with other readers at the festival and I didn't want to alienate myself from the community. I was told that if I did little readings for $5 it was impolite to the other readers there and I would be taking money away from them. That this was their living and I needed to respect that. I was told that if I charged $20 instead, that still wasn't a lot of money for a reading, people would know that was cheap, and they "wouldn't expect much anyway". That statement in particular bothers me, it just seems jaded to me. Maybe some people wouldn't expect much but to me and most people I feel like $20 is $20 and when someone comes to us most of the time they really want help and advice. And it is our duty no matter what we are charging, to take that seriously.

This is all such disheartening news to me! Never did I think anyone would mistake my intent here. Some of you here "know" me and "know" that I am a good person and I would never take anything from anyone or be impolite. Its shocking to me to think that my business model would make me enemies. I don't want to compete, I wasn't aware it was a competition! I'm shocked and upset actually. Because I feel like either I charge $20-30 for a short amount of time which I personally don't feel comfortable with or I don't read at all because I don't want to take anything from anyone. I honestly don't understand it, I feel like I alone am responsible for whether or not my business is a success and it has no bearing on what other people are doing.

Other readers can charge what they want and do what works for them and I would never, ever bear them any malice. I would never think of it. We all have to do what works for us, right? Tarot is love, that sounds lame but that's how I feel and to put it in this light was just so dark and ugly to me. It's not what it's about, it's about helping people and spreading the message. I didn't think that the bottom line was money, although don't get me wrong I understand readers need to make a living. Absolutely, I just didn't think it would be cutthroat like this.

Maybe I'm just too idealistic? Am I wrong? What do you think I should do? Because right now I am leaning towards not reading at all. Because I'm personally not comfortable with doing a long reading for more money and I don't feel right charging more for a little reading.

I respect all readers, I respect this community, I love this community, I really do and I'm not trying to take anything away from anyone. I would appreciate any insights from you great people. Especially insights from other readers who do work festivals!

ncharge

I really don't think anybody was saying that you don't respect the community or that you were trying to take away from others. I think they were trying to explain why the festival isn't the right venue for your idea.

It is an excellent idea! I would use it at a party or in a cafe or bar on weekend evenings. But a festival, with a selection of readers available, has to maintain certain practices for business purposes. And a festival is a business - it has to make money and be successful for everybody so that it continues to draw vendors and visitors each year. From a business perspective, you have a certain value that you place on your services and products. If somebody comes along and undercuts that value, you have to do the same. Suddenly, in the consumers eyes, that service is no longer worth as much. And fewer vendors will be willing to provide that service (at least at that festival) because it simply won't pay to do so. In that context, providing $5 quickies is not good for the festival.

And yes, it does even out to the same amount ($5/5 minutes) that $30/30 minutes would be. However, consumers don't do that math. Consumers ask a question and get an answer. If they can get that answer for $5, why should any of them pay $30? A few will want the entire Tarot experience, but most will just see that that they can get an answer for 1/6 the cost and everybody else is overcharging.

It is also a fact in the business world that the price you set on a service or product has a direct influence on the value that the customer's set on that service or product. This is why MAC computers never compromised on price and car companies have tiered brands. (Acura and Honda - same company, same PARTS with different names stamped on them, different status and perceived quality. Did you know Rolls Royce uses the same parts as cheaper cars? They just stamp a different name on it a triple the price.) Anyway, I'm sure that people perceptions of the value of tarot reading will be influenced by your $5 deal. Either they will think that YOU are not as good as everybody else or, if you are as good or better, they will believe that tarot reading in general is low value and the cost of readings in that part of the world would decrease accordingly. (This is why teachers are underpaid and life coaches can make a fortune. It is all in the perception of the value of the job.) I think the people who run the festival are just asking you to stay within a certain price range for your readings so that you are consistent with the current value of that service within your community.

Debra

A very short reading for five dollars is perfectly reasonable and will make tarot accessible to people who might otherwise never try it.

I predict that you'll have a gazillion people lining up and be very tired by the end of the day. Is there someone to help you at the booth, to sell the bags?

In my admittedly limited experience, a lot of people get very excited by a short reading--and never book another.

Personally, I'd start the day with three or four cards for $10, keep an eye on the time, and if they want more, tell them another card or two for $5 more or they can book an appointment. If that doesn't go over, you can always drop it down to, say, 2 cards for $5.

I'm sorry to hear that you're being discouraged from this by the claim that it undermines other readers. Someone isn't hoping for you to succeed. Don't let it drag you down, Minrice. We here know you're a great reader who really cares for people and loves tarot.

Baroli

But don't forget,....this is a business. I would do $20.00 for 20 minutes, don't worry about how many cards you use. 20 minutes you would use maybe 3 or 4 anyway, depending on your reading style.

Don't let the schmucks of the fair intimidate you. That's all they're doing. You to them are just one more reader in the mix. BUT we know you are an exceptional reader,....

minrice

ncharge said:
I really don't think anybody was saying that you don't respect the community or that you were trying to take away from others. I think they were trying to explain why the festival isn't the right venue for your idea.

Well, I should have clarified as the person saying all of this to me isn't the person/people running the festival. It was a reader who is sharing the space with me and will charge more for a reading...and he really did mean to say those things in the manner he did. I've known him and in a sense we are partners although we run separate businesses. He has been doing this far longer than I have, he has like 3 decades more experience than I do.

ncharge said:
It is an excellent idea! I would use it at a party or in a cafe or bar on weekend evenings. But a festival, with a selection of readers available, has to maintain certain practices for business purposes. And a festival is a business - it has to make money and be successful for everybody so that it continues to draw vendors and visitors each year.

Thank you ncharge :) Well, and put like this I do understand it from a whole perspective.

ncharge said:
And yes, it does even out to the same amount ($5/5 minutes) that $30/30 minutes would be. However, consumers don't do that math. Consumers ask a question and get an answer. If they can get that answer for $5, why should any of them pay $30? A few will want the entire Tarot experience, but most will just see that that they can get an answer for 1/6 the cost and everybody else is overcharging.

I guess I honestly thought that some people would want the full experience and want an in depth reading, while others would be wary of Tarot and just want one straight answer. Because I'm not talking about an in depth 3 carder, or in depth answers or exploration. Just one question and one straight answer. I guess I didn't think of what I'm doing as the same as what other readers are doing...which is (I assume) longer, indepth readings exploring a topic fully and spending time with a person.

ncharge said:
It is also a fact in the business world that the price you set on a service or product has a direct influence on the value that the customer's set on that service or product. This is why MAC computers never compromised on price and car companies have tiered brands. (Acura and Honda - same company, same PARTS with different names stamped on them, different status and perceived quality. Did you know Rolls Royce uses the same parts as cheaper cars? They just stamp a different name on it a triple the price.) Anyway, I'm sure that people perceptions of the value of tarot reading will be influenced by your $5 deal. Either they will think that YOU are not as good as everybody else or, if you are as good or better, they will believe that tarot reading in general is low value and the cost of readings in that part of the world would decrease accordingly. (This is why teachers are underpaid and life coaches can make a fortune. It is all in the perception of the value of the job.)

Well, and I guess I thought that the value for a long, in depth reading and the full experience would still be there and wouldn't be undervalued. Because the people who want that, people who want the rolls royce, will buy it no matter the cost. While people who want the other option, the Acura, will buy it and everyone makes money and everyone is happy.
That's what I thought, in my mind. Because I'm not giving them an in depth reading, its seriously a short and sweet reading.

minrice

Debra said:
A very short reading for five dollars is perfectly reasonable and will make tarot accessible to people who might otherwise never try it.

I predict that you'll have a gazillion people lining up and be very tired by the end of the day. Is there someone to help you at the booth, to sell the bags?

Hi Debra, yes my husband is helping me. I'm making him wear wings and sell bags })

Debra said:
Personally, I'd start the day with three or four cards for $10, keep an eye on the time, and if they want more, tell them another card or two for $5 more or they can book an appointment. If that doesn't go over, you can always drop it down to, say, 2 cards for $5.
Ok, it did cross my mind to just raise the price a little on the 3 cards to $10 like you said, and go up from there.

Debra said:
I'm sorry to hear that you're being discouraged from this by the claim that it undermines other readers. Someone isn't hoping for you to succeed.

It has been bothering me that my partner, the person I'm sharing the space with, would say this. We have separate businesses, even though we split the cost of the space. I have heard that these things can get competitive, but I also don't know how much of it might be him trying to mess with my mind? He says he is just trying to prepare me for any fallout and I'm trying to get a sense of is this a valid concern, something I should be worried about.

Debra said:
Don't let it drag you down, Minrice. We here know you're a great reader who really cares for people and loves tarot.

((((Debra))))

minrice

Baroli said:
But don't forget,....this is a business.
I know, and you're right. It is a business, I have trouble looking at it like that because I think I'm just too idealistic or something. I guess I think we're all there to have fun and that's it but we are there to make money or we are wasting our time as we are professionals with skill. I do understand that, it's just my personal issue to deal with I think, seeing it as a business. Something I need to examine as I don't know why I'm having a hard time with that.

Baroli said:
I would do $20.00 for 20 minutes, don't worry about how many cards you use. 20 minutes you would use maybe 3 or 4 anyway, depending on your reading style.

That's true, I could just make it a time thing, not a card thing.

Baroli said:
Don't let the schmucks of the fair intimidate you. That's all they're doing. You to them are just one more reader in the mix. BUT we know you are an exceptional reader,....
Thank you Baroli, I'm feeling better about the situation.

Baroli

It has been bothering me that my partner, the person I'm sharing the space with, would say this. We have separate businesses, even though we split the cost of the space. I have heard that these things can get competitive, but I also don't know how much of it might be him trying to mess with my mind? He says he is just trying to prepare me for any fallout and I'm trying to get a sense of is this a valid concern, something I should be worried about.

Yes and yes. He's messin' with your mind and ohhhh God forbid you might do better than him.

That's just crap. See, he doesn't want you to succeed. Perhaps he knows or senses you are a gifted and fantastic reader. Wanna screw with him??? Put a Voodoo doll up and have it face him. Just tell him you're keeping the bad mojo out and say it innocently. lol

Glitterbird

I did a festival last year, I charge 15.00 for 3 cards basically 10-15 min per person, It was enough that at the end of the day I felt like it had been worth my time and energy. BUT I was the only reader at the festival (boy did I luck out)
Your partner may be worried about reprecussions from other readers and is just giving you a heads up. Readers out there may not be as nice as the ones here. Don't let them worry you though some people are not happy unless they are making everyone around them miserable.

gregory

Sounds to me like he is afraid that you are undercutting him, and he will lose business.

Which is YOUR privilege. He is offering "more for the money" anyway, if he is doing "big readings" so surely that means there is a difference in your offerings - that justifies a difference in price. If you sell smaller spreadcloths than another vendor - do you have to up the price in case people buy yours just to save money and you cause offence ? I don't think so. Same principle.

Good luck ! It sounds like a great idea.