Various Decks and books

Leighqt

I checked again re the mythic on Amazon I typed in 2001 Mythic Tarot and it came up with 3 offers £706.78, checked Abe books for Tarot revelations to price range goes from £20 to a unbelievable $500 . I haven't even looked at the third book yet.

I wish I could take screenshots to upload

_R_

A lot of this has to do with algorithmic pricing: once the stock is down to the last remaining copy (or couple of copies) of a book or item, the computer stupidity kicks in and jacks the prices up, aided and abetted by human cupidity - some of the dealers having checked the appropriate boxes on their stock management preferences settings.

Of course, there are some dealers who automatically assume that the highest listed price for an item is the "going rate" and price their own stock accordingly, further increasing the vicious cycle of rising prices and ignorance.

Nemia

Sorry - double post!

gregory

I could not see any of these on Amazon at these prices,although will check again
You may have spelt the author wrong; when I used your spelling, I got that; then I looked at Llewellyn's site (the publisher) and he was spelt there as Phillips.

And I got it at once: look.

Algorithmic pricing does SO much damage. I must admit the amazon Mythic I saw at £35 has gone - probably after I posted about it :D. I hope it wasn't only the book - I was going to follow up on that. There are several more of the earlier editions on amazon for less than you've found. But there is a 2001 print for £14 and change. And there is one on ebay for - at present - £4.20. I think the idea that a second ed would fetch more is odd.

No-one is suggesting you are making this up, just that knowing exactly how to look often kicks in better prices. You can always post links to what you find, of course. Screenshots are easy with picpick, though :)

_R_

I'm not sure about decks (apart from those sold with an ISBN), but for books in general, I recommend using a price comparator such as www.bookfinder.com and also checking EBay, and having a thorough search online for good measure in order to find the best deals for out of print or hard to find books. Some booksellers do not sell via Amazon or Abebooks and have their own websites.

page of ghosts

I know I've seen some outrageous prices for the original mythic - I've checked both ebay and amazon a while back when I was looking for it and yup, some of them were several hundred £'s. 35 £ is a bit much for the book alone (although there are probably some people selling it for that price I got it myself for a little over 3 £) so maybe it was someone selling the whole set for a cheaper price? I've read of people finding it for around that price or less if they were lucky.

mrpants

A lot of this has to do with algorithmic pricing: once the stock is down to the last remaining copy (or couple of copies) of a book or item, the computer stupidity kicks in and jacks the prices up, aided and abetted by human cupidity - some of the dealers having checked the appropriate boxes on their stock management preferences settings.

Of course, there are some dealers who automatically assume that the highest listed price for an item is the "going rate" and price their own stock accordingly, further increasing the vicious cycle of rising prices and ignorance.

THIS, as well as gregory's post about the same thing. Do not be fooled by those ridiculously high prices on Amazon or Ebay, it's not a reliable source for a thing's market value if it's out of print or used. And it's common that the items won't sell at those artificially inflated prices anyway. Gregory's pricing is probably pretty fair.

gregory

I am SO GLAD that I have never seen my collection as an investment or a moneyspinner :D

Though I do have some items that really DO command silly prices. :bugeyed:

mrpants

I am SO GLAD that I have never seen my collection as an investment or a moneyspinner :D

That's the thing, isn't it! You can view these things that we love as a life-enriching tool that you want to share with like minded folk, or you can be tempted to make a monetary return on an item that may be languishing on your bookshelf. But this is the other thing: big ticket items are few and far between, ask any bookseller. No one's getting rich in used/out of print, really. Unless you work for Sotheby's. Best to just hope to get what you paid for it (condition pending), and maybe shipping cost.

Though I do have some items that really DO command silly prices.
bugeyed.gif

Yeah I have a couple of those as well. I have no intention of trying to sell those. I'd feel like a scam artist (even though I paid well for them)!

gregory

Allow me to give you a rather fab example of the rubbish that is amazon pricing. My SO happens to know the author of this one. She was horrified. I admit it is OOP, but even so.

[URL="https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1852247509/ref=la_B0034PRE8Y_1_2_olp?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1491940737&sr=1-2]Just scroll down the two pages of "offers".[/URL]

They start at £2.46 and end at £121.10 - PLUS POSTAGE. It is a skinny paperback - we own it. I bought it for him a couple of months ago for £3 on abe.

Not to mention all the "rare" in print - often ones that came out in the current year year - LoS decks that show up on ebay at 5-6 times the price they sell for new on the LoS site, alida, or amazon itself.