Tarot history isn't very well organised

Debra

Since this is a semi-academic discussion, and it's important to know our resources, I'd add that there are other places to learn tarot history, too, including other tarot history forums. Try google for tarot history forums. :)

PathWalker

I'm reading "A Wicked Pack of Cards" at the moment, a good starting point I gather :) There is such a lot to investigate, and this has to fit in with other Tarot interests, but I'm enjoying it.
Thank you to every one for their suggestions and encouragement.

Pathwalker

Bernice

I'm reading "A Wicked Pack of Cards" at the moment, a good starting point I gather
Indeed it is. People are always quoting from it. A good start PathWalker!

And then of course there are the online resources. Have you browsed trionfi? And Tarotpedia? .........and, there are other tarot 'investigative' sites to be found throughout the threads here :)

Bee :)

Lleminawc

Huck said:
When Internet started (1995/96)
It's a moot point when the Internet "started" - it evolved out of the ARPANET whose first links went live in 1969, though the term "Internet" started to be applied to the global network of networks in the late 80s. The World-Wide Web, probably the most widely used Internet application, was invented in 1989 but only started taking off when the Mosaic browser was released in 1993 - as a graduate student at the time I was an early user and had my own web page the same year.

Does this matter? Well if people are so concerned about getting the origins of tarot right, isn't it also important to be accurate about more recent events?

Ross G Caldwell

Lleminawc said:
It's a moot point when the Internet "started" - it evolved out of the ARPANET whose first links went live in 1969, though the term "Internet" started to be applied to the global network of networks in the late 80s. The World-Wide Web, probably the most widely used Internet application, was invented in 1989 but only started taking off when the Mosaic browser was released in 1993 - as a graduate student at the time I was an early user and had my own web page the same year.

Does this matter? Well if people are so concerned about getting the origins of tarot right, isn't it also important to be accurate about more recent events?

As a pedant (a stickler for details in an obscure and usually impractical subject), I agree with all your points and know that the roots of the internet go deep, at least four decades. But I think that "common understanding" counts for something as well, and that is that in the US most people - geeks excluded by definition - didn't hear of email addresses and websites until 1995. Academics and other geeks were already using it from '89 at least, but that isn't what Huck is talking about.

So - by analogy - if you want to get equal precision in Tarot history - or at least approximately, given the relative quality/quantity of the data - what do you think, as a tech geek and tech-history pedant, is a good estimate for when it started?

As a fellow pedant in another field - tarot history -, I realize this might be an unfair question, but since you decided to speak up on the subject, please continue.

baba-prague

Lleminawc said:

Interesting to come across another person from this background. I agree with you, and I actually had my first email address in 1981 - because my university was one of the three in the UK running JANET (Joint Academic Network - based on Arpanet). All students there had email addresses - not just the Comp Science lot. And we had free access to banks of computers in the library and used them a fair amount to join discussion groups, even though those were very basic and you had to wait for a whole batch of messages to come down the pipes.

Later I did early research on SGML, which is one of the mark-up languages that evolved into HTML. I first came across the term "hyperlinks" in 1985/6 I think. The whole field goes back much further than most people think.

Anyway, I suppose it's all a bit irrelevant to this thread, but interesting. Didn't the popular idea of the "Web" arguably evolve the way it was, in the early days, because of Gibson? Which was 1984.

Hmm, I have a feeling I know a great deal more about this than about tarot history...

Moonbow

I admit, as a non-pedant in History (or the internet), I do rely/depend on the accuracy of posts in this forum and I think that is what Lleminawc is getting at. If historians are being 'precise' in their findings, is it only in one field? There are subjects which I am accurate about but I won't post them in the Historical Research forum as its off topic.

Bernice

However, something that is on-topic is Tarot History and how it is - or not - organised. I am of course asssuming that the thread starter had some project in mind, other than a pointless statement of opinion.

A chronological outline:
Does anyone have a clear but brief list that outlines the earliest (currently known) tarot, through to at least the end of the 18th century?

kwaw

Bernice said:
However, something that is on-topic is Tarot History and how it is - or not - organised. I am of course asssuming that the thread starter had some project in mind, other than a pointless statement of opinion.

A chronological outline:
Does anyone have a clear but brief list that outlines the earliest (currently known) tarot, through to at least the end of the 18th century?

There is a timeline constructed by some members of TarotL online somewhere...