Two of Swords

Thirteen

Blocking Emotions = Blocking Emotions that Interfere

I drew the Two of swords for someone's feelings, and read up on all the interpretations of blocked emotions etc.
.I would not attribute it to blocked emotions, but rather, to a stable internal place where emotions might not 'rock the boat' so much.
I agree with ravenest that when you hear "Block emotions" you think the person isn't listening to their heart, or their intuition. But that isn't what the card is saying. The Sword suit is often about the benefits of being rational rather than emotional--meaning wildly, knee-jerk, irrational emotional. Not "follow your heart and intuition" emotional.

So, this is a card about thinking, or the facts, or going over what was said, or, as ravenest put it, meditating. To do that, you often have to block out emotions that interfere with you seeing the situation clearly. Like anger or frustration or impatience or worry or fear. Hence, the blindfold. Like blind Justice, right? Shutting your eyes so you're not biased by feelings; so that you can remain even-handed.

And, yes, the blindfold means you *hear* better. You listen and catch what others miss. Was there a lie in that voice? Was there regret or sorrow? That's going to help you as you weigh your decision. Which is all to say, I think "blocking emotions" leads to the exact conclusion that you've reached. When you blind yourself to those feelings, you enhance your other senses, in particular the ones that listen (swords = communications) and thus you gain the ability to make a correct decision. Or, at the very least given the usual meaning of this card, you gain the ability to convince those who want a decision from you to compromise and wait.

j cookie

here is another one then to add to your range ; swords represent the intellect and mentation. Twos , coming just after the unity of the aces show a high and pure form of the energy so it can mean a mind at peace and in meditation or contemplation .

I would not attribute it to blocked emotions, but rather, to a stable internal place where emotions might not 'rock the boat' so much.

Being on the shoreline of the 'Great Sea' represents contemplating the vast, the unconscious and the feminine . The Moon describes similar energy. The Blindfold is about not being distracted from this state. The crossed arms on the chest represent repose and contemplation - the 'mummy' position .

Yes Ravenest, how beautifully described ... "the Great Sea" ... love it! And yes, i know that little internal box with the intricate lock!
If i may trouble you further i would love to hear your take on the 2/swords as feelings for a reconciliation. I'll give you some background: My nan was with a bloke (they were very close) but about a year ago they had a terrible argument & haven't seen each other since. She misses him so much. I was very surprised to see this card, as i thought a card of indifference would show like one of the fours. My take on it was that he really misses her but is ignoring his feelings ( the traditional intellect vs emotion). But i'm not sure at all, there seems so many interpretations, and i don't want to give her false hope.... for maybe in this case it does mean indifference? Be great to hear something else from your range on the card

IndigoWaves

My nan was with a bloke (they were very close) but about a year ago they had a terrible argument & haven't seen each other since. She misses him so much. I was very surprised to see this card, as i thought a card of indifference would show like one of the fours. My take on it was that he really misses her but is ignoring his feelings ( the traditional intellect vs emotion).
Indifference isn't limited to the "fours", no... And a querent's feelings aren't those of the quesited; unfortunately, they are sometimes completely different. What felt very close to her may not have felt the same to him, or may just not have had a lasting impact.

Otherwise, he may believe that his opinion re: whatever was argued about (and maybe other issues that weren't) is of greater value than the relationship, itself. "Irreconcilable differences", in that case, with further contact an invitation to unresolvable conflict that he's decided to avoid.

j cookie

I agree with ravenest that when you hear "Block emotions" you think the person isn't listening to their heart, or their intuition. But that isn't what the card is saying. The Sword suit is often about the benefits of being rational rather than emotional--meaning wildly, knee-jerk, irrational emotional. Not "follow your heart and intuition" emotional.

So, this is a card about thinking, or the facts, or going over what was said, or, as ravenest put it, meditating. To do that, you often have to block out emotions that interfere with you seeing the situation clearly. Like anger or frustration or impatience or worry or fear. Hence, the blindfold. Like blind Justice, right? Shutting your eyes so you're not biased by feelings; so that you can remain even-handed.

And, yes, the blindfold means you *hear* better. You listen and catch what others miss. Was there a lie in that voice? Was there regret or sorrow? That's going to help you as you weigh your decision. Which is all to say, I think "blocking emotions" leads to the exact conclusion that you've reached. When you blind yourself to those feelings, you enhance your other senses, in particular the ones that listen (swords = communications) and thus you gain the ability to make a correct decision. Or, at the very least given the usual meaning of this card, you gain the ability to convince those who want a decision from you to compromise and wait.

to be honest, i read the above a number of times last night, after reading about 2/s on numerous sites .. and i was more confused than ever. This morning i got up & just read the title "blocking emotions that interfere" and had that moment of clarity. Amazing. thanks.

slithytoves

Thank you! That makes 100% more sense to me as well

Barleywine

In esoteric number theory, the number Two represents the Line, or the Point put into motion with a definite terminus in mind. I see the reciprocal and compensatory number Two as a closed system that feeds on its own energy (like one of those "perpetual motion" executive desktop toys). Putting the idea of mentation together with the linear mode of expression and the "closed -loop" model suggests a thought process that bends back on itself. It makes me think of an "inner quest" that isn't foreign to the concept of correlating all of the Two cards with the High Priestess.