Any thoughts on the Zirkus lenormand?

Yelell

I know very little about lenormand at this point. I did buy a book in preparation for the new pixie's lenormand that I am determined to get. Then I impulsively bought the Zirkus lenormand to go with the Zirkus tarot. I justified that by saying "hey, I have a book already...." that I haven't actually read yet. :rolleyes: Anyways, I was just wondering what opinions anyone may have on it. I think it's really fun, but I certainly wouldn't know if it makes a "good" deck :)
http://circustarot.blogspot.com/p/coming-soon.html

1Eleven

Surprisingly, that's a nice design. My only complaint is the name written on the card. It kind of works with the style though.

Yelell

Surprisingly, that's a nice design. My only complaint is the name written on the card. It kind of works with the style though.

Now that I look, I see lenormand cards don't generally have those titles printed on them. Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't realize.

Tag_jorrit

Definitely a fun collector's deck but I would have a tough time actually reading with it. The names on the cards would definitely make reading with this deck easier.

1Eleven

Definitely a fun collector's deck but I would have a tough time actually reading with it. The names on the cards would definitely make reading with this deck easier.

Agreed. I'm, generally, not a fan of decks that have people spread throughout the deck - definitely makes things confusing.

Yelell

Thanks alot for your opinions ! I love the "atmosphere" of these decks; as far as the real usability ........ well, maybe I'll figure it out eventually. I guess I'd better start reading that book I got :thumbsup:

Tag_jorrit

Bear in mind, Yelell, reading Lenormand is not -- repeat -- not like reading tarot. You don't read the art. You see the symbol and that symbol is what the card is. Cards are not read individually, they are read in combinations and the meanings of the cards relate to the question asked. That is, the meanings are in context. If you have three cards applied to a question such as, "what do I need to know about my job interview?" the same three cards would say something different to a question such as, "what will my vacation have in store for me?"

The easiest cards to read, and to begin your Lenormand study, are ones that have the least decoration to distract your eye and color your interpretations. Being able to instantly recognize the symbols rather than having lots of clutter surrounding the symbols makes it much quicker to read. Think of Lenormand as a language. And think about reading a book in old English lettering. That's how reading Lenormand is when using cards containing detailed illustrations with the symbols that are not prominent.

For example, here is a great, free deck created by Carrie Paris that you can print, cut out and use to get started. The images on a couple of them are a little odd but that's because I am a purist. They are lovely and will help you learn, and the price is right.

And if you are interested in the historical LWB that accompanied the first Lenormand decks that started the tradition, you can visit my web store where you can print the page out. Everything else that followed is derived from the meanings on this page, together with how to read the cards describing the original method of reading the cards, in the grand tableau with the 'method of distance.'

karen0205

Bear in mind, Yelell, reading Lenormand is not -- repeat -- not like reading tarot. You don't read the art. You see the symbol and that symbol is what the card is. Cards are not read individually, they are read in combinations and the meanings of the cards relate to the question asked. That is, the meanings are in context. If you have three cards applied to a question such as, "what do I need to know about my job interview?" the same three cards would say something different to a question such as, "what will my vacation have in store for me?"

The easiest cards to read, and to begin your Lenormand study, are ones that have the least decoration to distract your eye and color your interpretations. Being able to instantly recognize the symbols rather than having lots of clutter surrounding the symbols makes it much quicker to read. Think of Lenormand as a language. And think about reading a book in old English lettering. That's how reading Lenormand is when using cards containing detailed illustrations with the symbols that are not prominent.

For example, here is a great, free deck created by Carrie Paris that you can print, cut out and use to get started. The images on a couple of them are a little odd but that's because I am a purist. They are lovely and will help you learn, and the price is right.

And if you are interested in the historical LWB that accompanied the first Lenormand decks that started the tradition, you can visit my web store where you can print the page out. Everything else that followed is derived from the meanings on this page, together with how to read the cards describing the original method of reading the cards, in the grand tableau with the 'method of distance.'

Yes, the Little White Booklet on tag's website is a great place to start.
Her decks are also wonderful and very easy to work with, even for beginners.
The White Dragon or the Lilac Dondorf ar perfectly great decks to start
with too. You don't need to worry about the card inserts or the verses
until you have mastered the images. The images on her cards are so beautiful.
I think you would be happy with one of her decks!

I love the Le Fanu Lilac Dondorf It's my favorite lenormand deck:
http://gameofhopelenormand.bigcartel.com/product/le-fanu-s-lilac-dondorf-is-returning

here is her webpage
http://gameofhopelenormand.bigcartel.com/

:)

Yelell

Thanks alot for the help. I downloaded the LWB on the tablet and will definitely print it out the when I get to a real computer.