10 coins RW, what's the old mans black wand about ?!?! Any takers !!!

ravenest

Maybe ... this version looks more like a spear than the one I was looking at

http://tarotbyarwen.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/pents10.jpg

In any case; wand to cup : lance to grail : spear to cauldron ? ? ?
If he is a hunter ??? Could it be the return home after a successful hunt ?

That would seem to go along with the theme of the card a bit more .

Richard

This is from the Smith-Waite Centennial.

Attachments

• 10w.jpg
    10w.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 165

Teheuti

I caution against trying to make more out of the staff than it appears. However, if a client focuses on it during a reading I think it would be very important, along with any stories the client has about it being a spear or the wand of the Fool, or one of the figures being a hunter, etc. To me the tip looks more like the finial at the end of a curtain rod.

uruz

To me the tip looks more like the finial at the end of a curtain rod.

At the entrance to a dwelling, a woman greets the curtain guys. The younger of the two guys shows her the rod they will be installing with her new window treatments. The woman's son looks intently at the older of the two guys, who has draped the new curtains around himself. The young boy is in shock at the hideous pattern, and seems to wonder what his mother was thinking when choosing the patterns. The lad's canine companions sense their owner's disease and bay at the old man, who has inexplicably sat down in the woman's driveway. Divinatory Meanings: new curtains, poor decisions, a clash, distrust. Reversed: discount homegoods, an unveiling.

ravenest

I caution against trying to make more out of the staff than it appears. However, if a client focuses on it during a reading I think it would be very important, along with any stories the client has about it being a spear or the wand of the Fool, or one of the figures being a hunter, etc. To me the tip looks more like the finial at the end of a curtain rod.

:) yeah ... but it was asked about here so (thats why I was saying above any meanings should support the meaning of the card ... no, dont tell the querent they are going hunting or their life is draining away ) .... there is an old woman in town who uses a staff instead of a walking stick ... she has some things attached to the top. Its a fairly common thing to do. If it is a spear head it is a pretty lame one - I wouldnt want to go up against a boar with that ... it looks more like the spear I made when I was a kid and used mums broom and a snitched ... finial (thankyou) ... from the curtain rod.

Thats where I was going with the white tipped wand ... many wands, staffs, walking sticks have a white tip as decoration

http://www.luxury-insider.com/uploads/features/2012/06/guide-white-tie-essentials_3.jpg?width=630

If reversed it means something else

http://blog.walkingcaneco.com/wp-co...cane-saftey-day-october-15th-no21-289x300.jpg

So I am going with this answer ( to the thread title) ; " The old man doesnt have a black wand but the 'younger' one in the middle appears to have has some type of walking staff.

On another note; Teheuti mentioned: giving a particular focus depending on what arose ( " with any stories the client has about it " ) I am thinking what is the intention of the image anyway? Isnt the meaning of the card relating primarily to the old man in the foreground? if a client saw a spear ( or had a flashback to a curtain rod spear) I thought that could be tangential to the reading ? Also it could lead to interesting places I suppose for the client ... which may or may not relate to the reading. Usually IME when this has happened (fascination or association with a minor symbol or part of the card) it was a random association with the querent - when one understands the energy of the card, the minor symbols should be interpreted in that light.

Teheuti

At the entrance to a dwelling, a woman greets the curtain guys. The younger of the two guys shows her the rod they will be installing with her new window treatments. The woman's son looks intently at the older of the two guys, who has draped the new curtains around himself. The young boy is in shock at the hideous pattern, and seems to wonder what his mother was thinking when choosing the patterns. The lad's canine companions sense their owner's disease and bay at the old man, who has inexplicably sat down in the woman's driveway. Divinatory Meanings: new curtains, poor decisions, a clash, distrust. Reversed: discount homegoods, an unveiling.
Love it!!!!! That's just about as good a story as any other I've heard.

ravenest

I like this game ... gosh! I could do it for ALL of Waite's cards :laugh:

I might make a new thread 'Channelled intuitive interpretations of the Waite Minor Arcana' }) - looking forward to Uruz's explanation of the symbols on the old man's curtain attire . :)

I used to 'play a game' where I came to install curtains at my GFs place as a 'curtain guy' ... as much as I appreciate your accurate divination of events cognate .. I regret that mine would not be suitable to appear here :)

Teheuti

I like this game ... gosh! I could do it for ALL of Waite's cards :laugh:
Don't laugh. This is like a technique I teach in 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card. You'd be surprised how much even a humorous story can reveal about one's issue or question in a tarot reading.

re-pete-a

Maybe ... this version looks more like a spear than the one I was looking at

http://tarotbyarwen.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/pents10.jpg

In any case; wand to cup : lance to grail : spear to cauldron ? ? ?
If he is a hunter ??? Could it be the return home after a successful hunt ?

That would seem to go along with the theme of the card a bit more .

firstly, thanks for posting the image of the card...and....your right...it is being held by the person under the arch...either picking it up or placing it against the arch...which could be the entrance to the household/property.

It's also whatever one wishes to glean from the picture...It's even possible that it's a hand over of leadership of the household....at the arch .

The person is draped in blue...is that not the colour of learning...

The old man with hand on the old dog....the new man , staff, and younger dog,with the young child whose hand is on the dog...3 generations ??

Zephyros

It seems clear to me the old man is NOT holding the staff , so any reference to old man and the dead black wand and life draining aweay from the old man :rolleyes: are off target. The middle figure has the wand. That is what happens when you try to make analogies, allusions and intuitions without LOOKING AT THE CARD PROPERLY or considering its meaning (beyond the whim of today) ... totally off on a tangent :rolleyes:

Touché. :)

I should have looked at the card more carefully. However, the old man as the end also serves as the beginning, and this fits quite nicely Kabbalistically. Unfortunately, I have zero ideas about the staff, so it just goes to show that, gasp, even I make mistakes!