Favorite Goddess oracles (and ones you decided to pass on)

strings of life

A friend of mine uses the Goddess Guidance Oracle and had us draw a card so that we could channel the energy of the goddess as part of a full moon ceremony that we did on Saturday night. I'm not a fan of Doreen Virtue decks, but can see why the deck could be useful to learn more about goddesses.

I did a search in this forum, and while there are separate posts on goddess oracles, I didn't find a thread about favorite goddess decks. I've tried goddess themed Tarot decks and have found that pairing the two feels a bit forced sometimes, so oracles it is.

What are your favorite goddess oracles, and why? And if you didn't connect with a particular goddess deck, I want to know about that as well!

rachelcat

Hi! Goddess oracles in my collection:
Goddess Oracle (Janto, Marashinsky)
Goddess Power Pack
Goddess Speaks
Goddesses of the New Light

The first is definitely my favorite. Beautiful artwork and a good assortment of goddesses. I recommend the artist Hrana Janto's site, which includes text from Goddess & Heroines by Patricia Monaghan, over the book that comes with the cards by Amy Sophia Marashinsky.

The rest I think are long out of print, but might be worth a look. (I think I just keep them because they're out of print -- and because they are such diverse iterations of the same theme . . .)

I passed on:

Goddesses Knowledge Cards™: Paintings by Susan Seddon Boulet, by Michael Babcock and Susan Seddon Boulet
The cards are a bit small to see the lovely artwork. And the art is a bit too swirly/soft for me. I guess I like kick-ass and/or girly goddesses!

Goddess Inspiration Oracle Kit, by Kris Waldherr
Illustrations are also too small on this one. This would be a good choice if you want your answer/text right on the card. And there are plenty of cards/goddesses.

Goddesses and Sirens, by Stacey Demarco and Jimmy Manton
Ok, these goddesses are TOO Kick-ass for me! Vibrant and powerful, but too, well, pointy for my taste. (And yes, "pointy" is a technical art term . . . :p)

I know you said you aren't interested in tarot, but I have to put in a plug for Dark Goddess Tarot. There's a goddess for every card (no story or "generic" minors), with a diverse group of goddesses, and the artwork is pleasingly simple and straightforward.

Universal Goddess Tarot also has a goddess for every card. Some might think it a bit too cartoony . . .

Argh! When I was searching Amazon for a quick list, I just saw this: Amulets of the Goddess: Oracle of Ancient Wisdom, by Nancy Blair! Leave it to me to "discover" and desire an oracle from 1993 . . . Now, don't be buying the last 5 left in stock before I can get one!

Well, I guess that's my two cents. Let us know which you decide on!

AJ

I've had a lot of them over the years, I'd probably still have them all if I believed in god/goddess, mostly they were fodder for my blog. I guess in their own way god/goddess are archetypes, same as tarot majors

the only one I've kept is Ancient Feminine Wisdom of goddesses and heroines
by Kay Steventon and Brian Clark. Absolutely stunning art and well told stories to go with and 78 cards. I like lots of cards for an oracle so I don't get the same cards every time I use it.

strings of life

I've had a lot of them over the years, I'd probably still have them all if I believed in god/goddess, mostly they were fodder for my blog. I guess in their own way god/goddess are archetypes, same as tarot majors

the only one I've kept is Ancient Feminine Wisdom of goddesses and heroines
by Kay Steventon and Brian Clark. Absolutely stunning art and well told stories to go with and 78 cards. I like lots of cards for an oracle so I don't get the same cards every time I use it.
I'm mostly interested in archetypes and the stories associated with each goddess.

AJ, you have chosen the winner! I just purchased the Ancient Feminine Wisdom deck. As soon as I saw the names Kay Steventon and Brian Clark, that cinched the deal. I love the images shown on Aeclectic and will hold off on looking at any others; I want to be surprised! Thank you so much for your recommendation :).

Hi! Goddess oracles in my collection:
Goddess Oracle (Janto, Marashinsky)
Goddess Power Pack
Goddess Speaks
Goddesses of the New Light

The first is definitely my favorite. Beautiful artwork and a good assortment of goddesses. I recommend the artist Hrana Janto's site, which includes text from Goddess & Heroines by Patricia Monaghan, over the book that comes with the cards by Amy Sophia Marashinsky.
I'm adding this one to my maybe list :thumbsup:.

Argh! When I was searching Amazon for a quick list, I just saw this: Amulets of the Goddess: Oracle of Ancient Wisdom, by Nancy Blair! Leave it to me to "discover" and desire an oracle from 1993 . . . Now, don't be buying the last 5 left in stock before I can get one!
This one I'm curious about as well!

Well, I guess that's my two cents. Let us know which you decide on!
I'm going to start with Ancient Feminine Wisdom and will then decide if I want to delve into some other decks from this theme.

I had the Dark Goddess Tarot, but traded it. I'm biased and love the artwork of her Tarot of The Crone much more than her later decks (but I still praise her work and future projects).

strings of life

AJ, my Ancient Feminine Wisdom deck arrived yesterday and it is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you again!

TinySpark

Hi just wanted to add that I love my Goddess Oracle by Marashinksy as well.

My favorite part is that you can buy a set of mp3 meditations by Amy Sophia Marashinksy about nearly every goddess in the deck.

It is very peaceful and well done.

I also have the Dark Goddess Tarot. But I use it like an oracle.

AJ

you'll never be sorry you got it Strings!

HighPriestess

I have been lusting after the Goddess Oracle by Marashinsky and Janto but haven't been able to buy a copy. I have the Goddess Guidance Oracle and Doreen Virtue decks are generally all fluff and no substance for me but this one's given me some very much needed wake up calls. I also have the Goddess Inspiration Oracle but I don't use it very much.

One I passed up on was the Journey to the Goddess Realm. Most of the goddesses are very thin and some of the goddesses seem whitewashed to me. I also thought Baba Yaga looks like the Hag boss in Darkest Dungeon. Here is a video with a quick flip through of all the cards.

AnemoneRosie

It's not 100% goddesses per se but I really like the Mythic Oracle. It utilises the ancient Greek pantheon and each deity (as well as some humans) has a different meaning according to their story or myth. So while there are goddesses there are also gods, titans, mythical creatures, and half-deities.

But I think I like it because I was nurtured on these myths so it feels like home to me.
I also don't find that the Goddess Tarot is particularly forced. Using them solely as the major arcana and keeping the RWS for the minors seems like a good intermingling to me.