1. NOW; Empress
2. PAST; 4 Wands
3. FUTURE; Wisest (Hierophant)
4. OBLIGATION; 7 Swords
5. INTENT; Knight of Swords
6. HIDDEN; 4 of Swords
7. ADVICE; Emperor

Dave

That's great! Will try to get back to you asap:)

squeakmo9

Here's my cards using Universal Waite:

NOW=9 of Wands
PAST=2 of Pentacles(rx)
FUTURE=King of Swords
RESPONSIBILITY=8 of Swords
ADVICE=2 of Cups(rx)
MOTIVE=The Empress(rx)
UNKNOWN=The Hermit
:)

Attachments

• rsz_dip.jpg
    rsz_dip.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 143

caridwen

1. NOW; Empress
2. PAST; 4 Wands
3. FUTURE; Wisest (Hierophant)
4. OBLIGATION; 7 Swords
5. INTENT; Knight of Swords
6. HIDDEN; 4 of Swords
7. ADVICE; Emperor

As well as what you've written DN, I also see conflicts in your spread that you seem to be hiding from yourself. I think position six refers to denial. There is an interesting cycle in your spread but also a learning curve: Your majors move from 3/4/5 but the most significant is the Emperor as you have three 4s including him.

It's also interesting that you begin with the Empress and finish with the Emperor - something to consider. Look at the dragons in the spread - moving from the Hierophant to the Knight of Swords and compare that to what is Hidden and the Advice. The dragon is calmed in the Hierophant while he passes on his knowledge.

There is guardedness here and a seeming need for defence, the dragon never sleeps although he rests. The Emperor looks to his emotions but his sword is at hand. Do you see the conflict? I wonder if the Advice of the Emperor is balance which the Fours would suggest. There are three fours which suggest imbalance. The ones missing are Pentacles and Cups - what do you think that means? Is there an angry inner child kicking to get out? The Empress is flanked on all four corners by swords.

Another interesting thing I noticed, look at the swords and the way they move through the spread. From stealth to readiness to charge.

dadsnook2000

Part of a reply

I think this "reply" may be a "process" rather than a statement. Your remarks are both interesting and valued. As I noted before, this spread has a lot of depth within it, something that only a few spreads/concepts provide.

** I started with the Empress as that was card #1 and, for me, a logical card to start with. I saw this card as reflecting my current situation. My wife and I have three grandchildren we have raised since they were born. The oldest is now 19 and in college, the other boy is 16, the girl is now 14. I am 71, the wife is 69. When 50, taking over the care of the children seemed the right and only thing to do -- now, it is sometimes quite a strain as the generation gap is quite significant and their activities seem ceaseless. We argue over how to carry out our family activities and accommodations every day. The wife has been quite ill on an on-going low-level basis for quite a few years, while I am fully capable to help with housework, taking care of the house, physical activities with the kids such as snorkeling, hiking, camping, etc. So, I saw this card as representing the home and caring of/for the family.

** Your reference to denial in position 6: This position and card suggests that a "battle", or "attitude" of preparing for a fight, or a conflict of some sort is being hidden or not recognized. I had noted that, "The HIDDEN card, the 4 of swords, is quite clear to me. Approaching 50 years of marriage, having retired and taken on the raising of a second family from babies to teenagers involves a lot of adjustments, some them quite painful, most quite joyful. I then noted that anyone who needs to explore this for their understanding can explore this via a PM to me." I chose not to define this, just to note it's presence.

** I "grouped" the Major's message (Now, Future, Advice) to form a kernal of meaning around support/comfort, gaining insight and learning (self-growth), and following a steadfast course of principle.

** You noted that, "There is guardedness here and a seeming need for defence, the dragon never sleeps although he rests." This represents to me, the wife's constant striving to watch over the children and manage their lives, to the point of what I call being a "control freak." Well meaning and very giving, she demands a lot and I often find myself between her and the kids. She can't see this and does act with kind intent, but is often relentless in how she deals with the kids. This often places barriers between us, the HIDDEN card represents the consequences of these many small barriers over time.

** The Emperor may have his sword at hand, but he also has the Unicorn nearby, as does does the Empress. This was quite a connection for me, tying the support and protectiveness to one's principles. In this view, "balance" as you suggest is achieved (as I see it) by acting as the Emperor would, keeping to the path taken, being a role model and being fair-handed.

** The absence of Pentacles and Cups is something that I hadn't stopped to consider, I just mentally noted that and moved on. Money and resources are not an issue, we have enough to care for and launch the kids into adulthood. The lack of cups would refer to the wife feeling she doesn't get enough support -- this is a long standing issue for her. As I noted, having raised multiple families (we also cared for another girl between our first family and this second family), there has been a lot of strain which ties back to the Hidden card.

** As for a hidden angry child, there are many compensations and ways of moving beyond the obvious conflicts. It's OK for me, not so sure about the wife. Like I noted, you compartmentalize somethings, take advantage of all the good things available, and walk past what doesn't work if you can't change it. There is too much in life to pursue to dwell on a sour spot or two.
Dave.