&€@& 5 of swords

Reina de Copas

Being in your own power is a great take on it. I also feel that perhaps it is about understanding how to stand in that power with integrity - to be the King of Cups in a fashion, mastering one's own emotions so that power is expressed with a lack of ego or arrogance, but rather from a compassionate centre. To use your analogy of the chakras, to align the heart with the sacral, so that both work in synchronicity.
I am beginning to think on the card as an expression of managing one's emotional responses, and thus to really be about emotional maturity in power negotiation. To give and take with strength so that one ensures one is not compromising unnecessarily, nor taking without conscience. In this I see the earlier comment regarding being responsible for own behaviour.

I am really getting a lot from this thread, as it is speaking straight to me today and helping me clarify what I need to be working on.
Thankyou again.

wind

Being in your own power is a great take on it. I also feel that perhaps it is about understanding how to stand in that power with integrity - to be the King of Cups in a fashion, mastering one's own emotions so that power is expressed with a lack of ego or arrogance, but rather from a compassionate centre. To use your analogy of the chakras, to align the heart with the sacral, so that both work in synchronicity.
I am beginning to think on the card as an expression of managing one's emotional responses, and thus to really be about emotional maturity in power negotiation. To give and take with strength so that one ensures one is not compromising unnecessarily, nor taking without conscience. In this I see the earlier comment regarding being responsible for own behaviour.

I am really getting a lot from this thread, as it is speaking straight to me today and helping me clarify what I need to be working on.
Thankyou again.

I love your take, yes, - expression of power without ego and arrogance; in fact, when arrogance is needed, there is no real grounded, rooted power.
take care and good luck with your explorations!:)

exmuse

You assume the two figures in the background of the card have been defeated. What if they walked away in a "I'm not playing with you" or a "I can't be bothered with you" way? The figure in the foreground thinks he's won, but has he really? The card could be saying to you, "Don't engage him. Walk away."

Agreed. I like that. Also the wisdom to avoid 'slippery places and slippery faces' as it is described in a Serenity Prayer CD that I listen to quite frequently that speaks to how to let go. The ability to choose to act in this manner reflects wisdom, maturity, discernment and personal integrity. You choose to engage with people who are in your best interest and reflect your higher self. It's a choice you are free to make. You have the power to make that choice.

On the flip side, the card could be telling you to look at where you might be a bully (or at least perceived as one by your peers). Are you being domineering? Taking things that aren't yours to take? Or even dominating conversations and not giving others the chance to speak?

I also like this idea as a suggested life lesson. I see this as not being invested in the outcome of a discussion, meaning a person not feeling the need to be right. That again, speaks to ego. I personally enjoy banter, debate, teasing and tossing ideas around. I think that's part of my personality. I used to feel a need to argue with others to prove my point as some form of demonstration or proof of my intellectual superiority or creativity. Since I've grown older, I've changed my ways, or at least tried to modify my behavior. I no longer invest so much in my ego or anticipated outcomes. Although I enjoy the 'give and take' of intellectual exchange (I feel I learn a lot in the process) I feel no real need to argue someone into the ground to prove a point. People are going to believe what they are going to believe. I interpret this card, in this light, as a need to "let go" and "let things be" and "let others be". Accepting life as it is. Huge life lesson! Not something mastered overnight. And I'm certainly not there yet!

This is great! It's called standing in your strength, remaining grounded and maintaining integrity. You are in alignment with your higher self and a higher power.

I also think it sends a message that you don't have to be responsible for others behavior. Their stuff is their stuff, not yours.