Finding Oneself

spinnachie

Hey all

So I went to a psychic awhile back, and was told be her that I am a natural healer, I have a really green aura, and people that are in need of help and guidance are attracted to me, which is true I always find myself in situations of giving advice and trying to help. I have my Reiki Level 1, which was suggested by the psychic when I asked her what I can do as a healer.
I've also had people come up to me wanting to "read me" because I guess my aura was giving off a lot of energy, I never allowed it because at the time I felt it was invasive.

Then, this past winter, I attended a class in my local occult shop. We were talking about healers and such, and I told him of my experience and asked him if there was a way to know what your special ability is, I wanted to know if I was truly a healer. He said he could tell me right away, and asked me to open my hand, he hovered his over mine, snapped his finger and said "no, I can tell you right now you're not a healer"...he didn't say what I was though...

I thought it was very odd, and now Im a little confused because I want to know what my natural ability is, so that I can work on honing that...does anyone know how you can discover what come naturally or easiest, so that I can focus on training that in order to train everything else?

GotH

I'd like to know what gives him authority to tell you that you're not a healer? I'd question that especially since he didn't seem to have any idea what your gifts are. If you know you've helped people in special ways that others have not been able to, you are a healer. Believe in yourself.

spinnachie

Thanks GotH...
I don't know if I've helped anyone...I mean I have tried to those that have found their way to me, but I can't be certain of how helpful I have actually been since I don't see or talk to them anymore, but I do get what you're saying...He was so positive that I wasn't a healer that it sort of took me by surprise, I mean...if he had said something along the lines of.. "I don't see you as a healer, you're more of a...(whatever he thought) then that could have been something I could work with, and I wanted to ask him what it was he thought but I got the feeling that asking him would only lead him to tell me to book an appointment for a reading...so I didn't bother.

Tigerangel

Thanks GotH...
I don't know if I've helped anyone...I mean I have tried to those that have found their way to me, but I can't be certain of how helpful I have actually been since I don't see or talk to them anymore, but I do get what you're saying...He was so positive that I wasn't a healer that it sort of took me by surprise, I mean...if he had said something along the lines of.. "I don't see you as a healer, you're more of a...(whatever he thought) then that could have been something I could work with, and I wanted to ask him what it was he thought but I got the feeling that asking him would only lead him to tell me to book an appointment for a reading...so I didn't bother.

I think your last sentence answered your question about him, he sounds like a scammer only in it for the money, I think every person is capable of being a healer in some way or other people don't need to do big things to heal someone, sometimes just a smile from a stranger on the street might help someone who's being going through a bad day, if you have already started your path on reiki so maybe carrying that on would benefit you I would tend to trust the first advice you got and not that insensitive guy who had no concern at all for the question you ask him.

EmpressArwen

Hello, dear!

I think healing is a very special journey but one that takes a lot of resolve and strength. I believe that people are put in our path to encourage us (the people telling you that you are a healer) and also people who are put there to test your fortitude (the guy saying you arent a healer). What do you feel, in that deep quiet place inside, that you are meant to do? I feel you are meant to be a healer...do you? If you do, then take this man's words as a lesson and move forward with your journey. There are ups and downs to the healing path. There will be people who doubt you, people who question your sincerity, people who you just cannot help, etc. All of that, you will have to learn to push through in order to be who you are meant to be.

Let this man just be the first instance of someone trying to hold you back from this but also the first instance where you didn't let someone accomplish it. Take it as a lesson, remember the feeling of doubt but don't interalize it...realize you are stronger because of his doubt...because YOU didn't let it stop you.

:)

danieljuk

it was odd, there is more alarm bells ringing here than those huge cast iron bells in some cathedrals :) I think we are all a bit psychic and have healing energy. I have no Reiki attunement or training but I send positive energy to people who need it and behave in a way that is positive to others. Does this mean I am not a healer? what is his definition or way of knowing?

I don't think you need to ask other people to validate yourself, if you want to study healing, keep studying and using it! People post all kinds of crazy things that mediums / psychics have told them here, sometimes they even tell people to change their whole lives. We have to be sceptical and I believe psychics / mediums / healers can be wonderful but also anyone can say anything to you without backup!

If you meet this person again you should ask them to qualify why you are not a healer but personally I would disregard their opinion (because that is what it is) and aim for level 2 Reiki :) :thumbsup: your thread topic is everything about your spiritual journey, we are all finding ourselves! but ultimately we are in charge of that :)

jillkite

Perhpaps he sensed there was some ambivalence in you about being a healer, which would be entirely understandable, (it's not an easy path as beautifully summarised by EmpressArwen, you have to do A LOT of work on yourself...).

If you were feeling somewhat ambivalent at that stage in your development, and he had told you that you are a healer it could have generated resistance inside you.

So he could have (consciously, unconsciously?) been using a technique from Motivational Interviewing called 'Devils Advocate', where he sayes the OPPOSITE of the truth.... to provoke a reaction inside you that will bring you closer to the truth....

If you feel disturbed by being told that you are not a healer, i take it as a good sign that you are.....

Wishing you many beautiful discoveries on your journey.

Tanga

One says you are - one says you aren't.

I say - go and find out for yourself. :)
You won't know until your "doing it - and you just 'know' in your bones that it 'fits' ".
Explore, experiment. Go to different types of healers, talk to them.
Read about it. etc.
And don't be afraid to "start with the wrong one".

It took me some years of studying this and that, and working as this and that, to discover what my healing path is. I'm a lymphoedema therapist - lymphatic massage having a rather "conventional/medical" format, and a Zero Balancer - an energy bodywork that enables me to engage physically, and explain in a "conventional" context how the therapy works - whilst still swimming in the world of more intangible energy.
And I now know, that what I did then - and what I am doing now, is all my healing path.
So all the past stuff has been a relevant and worthwhile journey. I have successfully supported and facilitated healing for many many people through my lifetime so far.

...After my psychic training - I knew I was not a psychic. Though I can relate and understand people from here very well (and thus sometimes have very helpful insight to offer psychics, people enquiring in this field, or psychic clients, etc.).

After my Reiki 2 training - I came into clear connection with my spirit guides, AND I was clear that I was not a "hands off" energy healer - the modality had to be in contact and using body manipulation of some kind.
It was this training, that improved my sensitivity and honed my uniqueness, in my many years as a reflexologist - and it engendered my understanding of energy systems and the work to support them within myself and others (whatever the tradition, meridian theory, chakra theory, "the force" of particle physics, spiritual healing, or whatever). This became an embodied truth/understanding.

After my Zero Balancing training - this was the first time I understood somatically (i.e. with an in-the-body or heartfelt understanding, rather than just rationally/in-my-head) how to not take on other people's baggage ("negative energy" some like to call it. I had already worked for many years successfully, whilst struggling with the concept of "self-protection" on this front :). i.e. I would very often be energetically drained after my treatments ).
I understood where to energetically draw my boundary from everyone else.

And now - let me tell you something.
Many years ago just at the beginning of my journey - I was at day-long workshop (can't remember exactly what for) run by an American guru who had adopted the name "Lightning strikes the humming bird" (He had been struck by lightning, had an epiphany, left his 9-5 job, and gone studying to become a healer). He gave us all an "in-the-minute" reading at one point there. To me he said "I see that you will be working, healing with water".
I figured he was dead wrong and wondered what he was on about. It made no sense to me.

I finally understand what he may have seen.
The Lymphatic system is a fluid system of the body (a huge one - we're still scratching the surface of understanding it - as with alot of things). So in a sense, I am healing in the field of water.
Plus - a few years after I had been working as a reflexologist, I began to see an Astrologist regularly. Her 1st reading underlined that reflexology could be one of my strong points.

Plus, the sum of my experiences over the years has shaped my awareness and spiritual practice today.
I love who I am today!

Happy journey-ing!

starburst_au

Thanks for posting.
I think we all often wonder what path we're suppose to be on, or what our abilities are.
I also think that it's part of our own journey to figure that stuff out...

Sure seek out some help with that, but take what a lot of people say with a grain of salt and weed out the negative stuff... The stuff that makes you doubt yourself and your own interest in any particular area.... No one else has to walk your path kind of deal... And ultimately you're the one that has to feel content in whatever you're doing...

If you feel that you're naturally drawn to helping /healing people seek out some more information about that. Take some courses and read about healing...

What sort of healing are you drawn to? There are about a bazillion different types of healings that people can do - what modality are you drawn to? Or how do you want to help people? Is it more along the lines of social work or counselling or life coaching?

I'm just pointing out that "healing" is a very broad area, and it's totally up to you to decide where your healing journey begins :D

I wish you lots of luck on your exciting journey!

Cheers,
SB

spinnachie

I think your last sentence answered your question about him, he sounds like a scammer only in it for the money, I think every person is capable of being a healer in some way or other people don't need to do big things to heal someone, sometimes just a smile from a stranger on the street might help someone who's being going through a bad day, if you have already started your path on reiki so maybe carrying that on would benefit you I would tend to trust the first advice you got and not that insensitive guy who had no concern at all for the question you ask him.

That's definitely the feeling I got from him, I have seen him in the shop since, and everytime I go in he gives me this "fraud" vibe. No one else in the shop gives me that vibe, just him and I see so many people that go in specifically to see him and are so impressed with him and it actually irritates me that people are so blind!
I do agree with you I think that everyone is capable, but I feel that everyone has different strengths, so some people healing may come naturally and easily while others have to work harder to develop it.
I have done my reiki, and I did enjoy it, however ever since I've gotten my level 1 attunement, I haven't used it on anyone and now I've forgotten how ;)

Hello, dear!

I think healing is a very special journey but one that takes a lot of resolve and strength. I believe that people are put in our path to encourage us (the people telling you that you are a healer) and also people who are put there to test your fortitude (the guy saying you arent a healer). What do you feel, in that deep quiet place inside, that you are meant to do? I feel you are meant to be a healer...do you? If you do, then take this man's words as a lesson and move forward with your journey. There are ups and downs to the healing path. There will be people who doubt you, people who question your sincerity, people who you just cannot help, etc. All of that, you will have to learn to push through in order to be who you are meant to be.

Let this man just be the first instance of someone trying to hold you back from this but also the first instance where you didn't let someone accomplish it. Take it as a lesson, remember the feeling of doubt but don't interalize it...realize you are stronger because of his doubt...because YOU didn't let it stop you.

That's the thing, whether this mad had said it to me or not, I still wouldn't know what my strength is. When I was told I was a healer, I thought I would give it a shot and sort of see what happened, so when the man told me I wasn't, it made me thing #1 how rude of you to just say that, #2 maybe I have been working on the wrong part...I'm not a horrible person and yes people are drawn to me, I don't like that they are though (sometimes I feel that that makes me not such a nice person lol) I feel like I have my own issues to deal with, I cant help others right now...and when I am ready I would like it to be on my terms kind of thing...I know that sounds selfish, I think it comes from years of it happening and now I feel like a doormat.

it was odd, there is more alarm bells ringing here than those huge cast iron bells in some cathedrals :) I think we are all a bit psychic and have healing energy. I have no Reiki attunement or training but I send positive energy to people who need it and behave in a way that is positive to others. Does this mean I am not a healer? what is his definition or way of knowing?

I don't think you need to ask other people to validate yourself, if you want to study healing, keep studying and using it! People post all kinds of crazy things that mediums / psychics have told them here, sometimes they even tell people to change their whole lives. We have to be sceptical and I believe psychics / mediums / healers can be wonderful but also anyone can say anything to you without backup!

If you meet this person again you should ask them to qualify why you are not a healer but personally I would disregard their opinion (because that is what it is) and aim for level 2 Reiki :) :thumbsup: your thread topic is everything about your spiritual journey, we are all finding ourselves! but ultimately we are in charge of that :)

I agree, and as I've said in response to another reply, I do feel he is a bit of a fraud, but sometimes I think maybe he was right. Or maybe I am tired of being a "healer" and want to focus on something else...I wish there was a manual that gave you step by step instructions on how to become who you're suppose to be lol...it doesn't help that I have ADD so my attention jumps all over the place from reiki to mediumship to make up...lol

Perhpaps he sensed there was some ambivalence in you about being a healer, which would be entirely understandable, (it's not an easy path as beautifully summarised by EmpressArwen, you have to do A LOT of work on yourself...).

If you were feeling somewhat ambivalent at that stage in your development, and he had told you that you are a healer it could have generated resistance inside you.

So he could have (consciously, unconsciously?) been using a technique from Motivational Interviewing called 'Devils Advocate', where he sayes the OPPOSITE of the truth.... to provoke a reaction inside you that will bring you closer to the truth....

If you feel disturbed by being told that you are not a healer, i take it as a good sign that you are.....

Wishing you many beautiful discoveries on your journey.

That's an interesting point...I don't feel disturbed that im not a healer, the more I think about it, to be honest I was somewhat relieved to hear that I wasn't, I was a little upset at the way he said it mostly, and that he didn't offer anything to follow it up...so it was as if I was stripped of my "healing abilities" and not given anything to replace them, and was left with nothing...had he have said "you're not a healer, but I do sense you have the ability to *whatever*" then it would have come across as ok, this is another area I can try to explore...

One says you are - one says you aren't.

I say - go and find out for yourself. :)
You won't know until your "doing it - and you just 'know' in your bones that it 'fits' ".
Explore, experiment. Go to different types of healers, talk to them.
Read about it. etc.
And don't be afraid to "start with the wrong one".

It took me some years of studying this and that, and working as this and that, to discover what my healing path is. I'm a lymphoedema therapist - lymphatic massage having a rather "conventional/medical" format, and a Zero Balancer - an energy bodywork that enables me to engage physically, and explain in a "conventional" context how the therapy works - whilst still swimming in the world of more intangible energy.
And I now know, that what I did then - and what I am doing now, is all my healing path.
So all the past stuff has been a relevant and worthwhile journey. I have successfully supported and facilitated healing for many many people through my lifetime so far.

...After my psychic training - I knew I was not a psychic. Though I can relate and understand people from here very well (and thus sometimes have very helpful insight to offer psychics, people enquiring in this field, or psychic clients, etc.).

After my Reiki 2 training - I came into clear connection with my spirit guides, AND I was clear that I was not a "hands off" energy healer - the modality had to be in contact and using body manipulation of some kind.
It was this training, that improved my sensitivity and honed my uniqueness, in my many years as a reflexologist - and it engendered my understanding of energy systems and the work to support them within myself and others (whatever the tradition, meridian theory, chakra theory, "the force" of particle physics, spiritual healing, or whatever). This became an embodied truth/understanding.

After my Zero Balancing training - this was the first time I understood somatically (i.e. with an in-the-body or heartfelt understanding, rather than just rationally/in-my-head) how to not take on other people's baggage ("negative energy" some like to call it. I had already worked for many years successfully, whilst struggling with the concept of "self-protection" on this front :). i.e. I would very often be energetically drained after my treatments ).
I understood where to energetically draw my boundary from everyone else.

And now - let me tell you something.
Many years ago just at the beginning of my journey - I was at day-long workshop (can't remember exactly what for) run by an American guru who had adopted the name "Lightning strikes the humming bird" (He had been struck by lightning, had an epiphany, left his 9-5 job, and gone studying to become a healer). He gave us all an "in-the-minute" reading at one point there. To me he said "I see that you will be working, healing with water".
I figured he was dead wrong and wondered what he was on about. It made no sense to me.

I finally understand what he may have seen.
The Lymphatic system is a fluid system of the body (a huge one - we're still scratching the surface of understanding it - as with alot of things). So in a sense, I am healing in the field of water.
Plus - a few years after I had been working as a reflexologist, I began to see an Astrologist regularly. Her 1st reading underlined that reflexology could be one of my strong points.

Plus, the sum of my experiences over the years has shaped my awareness and spiritual practice today.
I love who I am today!

Happy journey-ing!

That's an amazing journey and story you have! thank you for sharing that with me. I do agree with you in what you said about not knowing what you're doing til you're doing it...I know that what I am doing is not what I should be doing, I feel it, my dreams keep screaming it at me, I keep getting signs telling me I'm not doing what I am suppose to be doing, Tarot tells me the same thing....All I keep getting is messages from different avenues telling me what I already know. So it's a bit frustrating ;)
I think I should maybe go see a healer of some sort....perhaps I have to be cleansed and healed internally, in order to gain some clarity on my life...

Thanks for posting.
I think we all often wonder what path we're suppose to be on, or what our abilities are.
I also think that it's part of our own journey to figure that stuff out...

Sure seek out some help with that, but take what a lot of people say with a grain of salt and weed out the negative stuff... The stuff that makes you doubt yourself and your own interest in any particular area.... No one else has to walk your path kind of deal... And ultimately you're the one that has to feel content in whatever you're doing...

If you feel that you're naturally drawn to helping /healing people seek out some more information about that. Take some courses and read about healing...

What sort of healing are you drawn to? There are about a bazillion different types of healings that people can do - what modality are you drawn to? Or how do you want to help people? Is it more along the lines of social work or counselling or life coaching?

I'm just pointing out that "healing" is a very broad area, and it's totally up to you to decide where your healing journey begins :D

I wish you lots of luck on your exciting journey!

Cheers,
SB

I never really thought about healing as being so broad...life coaching sounds like it would be interesting lol to be honest ive always looked at healing as either doctor/naturopath/therapist or energy worker...and as much as I feel I would make a good therapist, im not willing to invest that amount of time or money into it at this point in my life ;) I will keep what you've said in mind though, and do some more thorough research on healing and see if I can come up with something :)

Thank you all for your input, you've all given me something to think about.