were you intimidated?

TarotGirlJess

Hi I am new here. I have had the Brian Froud Faery oracle for 2 years. I didn't have the moneyto buy it (did it anyway LOL), then once i got home I haven't been brave enough to use it. I have taken it out of the box and lovingly petted the cards i have read the book. everytime i go to read with them i think "I wantto waituntilI'm not alone to use them" then when there is someone that i can read infront of i think" No that's way to personal to share" so here it is 2 years later and I'm still utterly enchanted as well as intimidated. I love the deck there is definatly something about it.. So that's my question.
Were you intimidated of your deck whenyou got it? or use it right away?

TarotGirlJess *who lovingly packs her cards room to room yetdoesn't use them*

Chronata

Wow. I had never really thought about it, but I suppose the Otherworld inhabitants can be rather intimidating!

They never were for me, but that's because I grew up with them, I think...(and they were visiting me long before I had the deck!)

Here's what I would do, TarotGirlJess...

Take them out and shuffle them up a bit.
Then close your eyes and cut the deck.
Take out the one fae off the top and introduce yourself.
Put the rest of them away for a while, but keep that one card out.
Study it, talk to it, read the book meanings, and just sit and imagine what it may be saying to you.
Ask it what it thinks about any subject at all...like ice cream or war, or finding good parking spaces...and then sit quietly and listen to what it might tell you.

That is the very best way to get to know them. And when you are comfortable with that ONE card, you can put it back in the deck and try again!

SunChariot

I just got my mine 2 weeks and a half ago, along with Brian's book Good Faeries/Bad Faeries. The faeries have been "talking" to me quite a bit and all in such kind a kind and loving and caring manner. But since I read GF/BF I have been afraid of the "bad" faeries and what could happen if I invite that energy into my life. The book talks about death, heart attacks, strokes...although admittedly that was likely when the faeries felt attacked and were likely just defending themselves.

But I had an experience yesterday that helped set my mind at ease. I pulled a card from the deck to see why I was scared and what they could tell me about that. Which was basically, just cause they have the power to do something does not mean they will. People are capable of killing each other, but that does not mean you need to fear everyone you meet. Then the faeries told me that I should trust my intuition more and not rely so much on heresay.

And to that I have to admit that they have been nothing but kind and loving to me. And the funny thing was last night the card I pulled to help me resolve my feelings was "Gawtcha", a card that could be considered to be a "bad" faery. And it was this card that most set my mind at ease. For me the card: Sudden shock, unexpected events, rude awakenings...was when my trust in my cards turned so quickly to fear. It was quite a "Gawtcha" situation when I thought back on it.

But after analysing the card it did not look fearful to me, and I knew he was there to help me and teach me a lesson. And I think that is a very worthwhile lesson that I must trust me own judgment more and not always think other's even Brian's experience is more valid than mine, or that they know more. And the more I thought of it, I would not have learnt this lesson as well without the mini crisis Gawtcha sent me.

Just as I was typing an entry on all this in my Tarot/Oracle/Pendulum journal the funniest thing happened too. Don't know if I can explain it well, but I saw like a light shining on my hands. It was as if the faeries were either standing behind me watching over my shoulder as I worked all this out, or maybe like they were in me helping my type with my hands. There was like no visible source for the light and I have sat at my computer deck for years and never seen it before. I was staring at it trying to figure out where the light came from, and then after a few seconds it was gone and things looked like before.

And the more I thought about it the more I felt grateful for Gawtcha's help. I ended up giving him my heartfelt thanks and klssing him goodnight. And my fears of the deck. :)

My advice is try what I did and I think you will find the answer that is right for you. Ask the fearies what exactly is intimidating you and how you can come to terms with it: do a reading. :)

Hope this helps relax you.

Bar

rosesred

hi TarotGirlJess,

Are you afraid of something connected to the deck? of 'failure' when reading it? Of bad faeries haunting your dreams? It seems to me that if you know why you are so intimidated, you can start getting over it. (Actually, an excellent way to find out what scares you about the faeries, is to ask them!) Ask yourself the "And then what?" question. What's the worst thing that could happen when you use the oracle? Why is that so terrible? Is it a fair assessment of reality as you feel it, or might you be caught up in your own fears?

TarotGirlJess

Afraid? I laugh in the face of danger HA

acually it's not that i'm afraid of them. I think they are adorable.. i think I'm justri intimidated because they are so WOW! and i am just not. LOL I wouldn't want to insult them. It's just so EVERYTHING ithas it all the deck the pretty pitures the meanings it is justr perfect (or close). I guess i better get over it. LOL

SunChariot

TarotGirlJess said:
acually it's not that i'm afraid of them. I think they are adorable.. i think I'm justri intimidated because they are so WOW! and i am just not. LOL I wouldn't want to insult them. It's just so EVERYTHING ithas it all the deck the pretty pitures the meanings it is justr perfect (or close). I guess i better get over it. LOL

They are amazing aren't they???!!! Brian did a phenomenal job on this deck. I can hardly believe it myself.

That being said, everything they are you are too. Faeries are a reflection of both the world/universe of which you are an intregal part, (just as intregal as anyone else alive, we are all equal and all infinitely connected to this beautiful world and each other) AND equally a reflection of your inner self. Anything you see in the faeries that you find beautiful you already have in you. You just have to see it and learn to express it.

And one of the best ways to do just that is through this deck.:) No one is asking you to be perfect, you and the faeries will learn things about each other as you go along. I know they want to get to know you. That is why you still feel drawn to the deck.:)

Bar

lunar_rabbit

TarotGirlJess said:

{{{{hugs}}}} Those faeries are YOU, my dear. If you are seeing something wonderful and magical in them, it's because you are seeing a glimpse of it in yourself. I suspect you are afraid of the beauty and power within yourself, and you are projecting it on your Faeries Oracle. Hey, I don't even know you and I think you are 'WOW'. So yeah, get over it. :D

I love Chronata's advice. You might even approach it from the book's exercise. Spread all the cards face up on the floor or your bed, and look at each one. Then choose your favorite one. Say "Hi Faery! I'm Jess" (if that is your real name -g-). And leave it at that. Prop the card face up on a shelf for a day or two and see how it feels. Ask that faery to help you with the rest of the deck. Leave him or her out of the deck face-up as someone to hold your hand. When you get nervous, just refer back to your new faery friend for reassurance.

Did you read the intro chapters of the book? I'd highly recommend doing those exercises in the books. Give it to yourself as an assignment with a deadline and JUST DO IT.

You obviously love these cards and want to work with them. The faeries want to come out and play too!

~LR