Interesting Combinations using a three card system for courts

mary ventura

Bernice said:
I was about to order the e-book ($6) from

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000019463

If anyone is strapped for cash this is a great alternative.

Bee :) :) :)

I'm so glad you posted this link! I have a kindle (Amazon e-reader) and there aren't many tarot-related books available yet. I've been downloading free books for it but of course they are limited to old books that are out of copyright.

Mary V

(wandering over to iUniverse :) )

Satori

Bernice said:
Hi firefrost,

I also saw one at Amazon (UK), it's called 'The Message' - not the correct book.
Here's details of the proper book:

ISBN: 0 595 29195 3

Personal Prophecy by Deborah Leigh & Elizabeth Rose (?*)

*Maybe not 'Rose', but the book front cover says two authors.

Bee :)

I was just looking at The Message and it looks like it is a new edition by only Debra Leigh, but using either the same or similar info as what was published in the other book. It is still about the method she learned form her Gran, not sure the differences.

Bernice

Hi Satori, I tried to see if there was a useful (fairly detailed) review about The Message - no luck. However now that the Book Depo has the original one I'm going for that.

In order to understand this approach properly I've gone back over the previous example postings. One that has helped to clarify things a little more is this one from StarryStarryNight:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1134597&postcount=34

Now, the question is: "How does he feel about me today". I read it the other way around = It is he who becomes the one who is off-stage. See LB's post re. this sort of query, the final paragraph:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1136240&postcount=69

In which case, in this example; HE shares the Ace Wands with the person who asked the question - and SHE is Queen of Wands. She carries the Ace Cups, which affects (or causes) the Ace Wands.**

** What the non-querent person 'carries' affects what is shared; See this post by LB: http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1133941&postcount=25

Now wondering if I've got it nailed down properly...

Bernice

Information on this card system?

Would anyone know the elemental associations given for the Suits in this method? I can't find any reviews that give a hint of the basics.

I've been to the authors site (Thank you celticnoodle) but there are only pages of information about how good the system is - plus the offer of personal readings (lots about relationships....).

http://www.psychiclovedoctor.com

If I'd seen the site first, and not read Little Barons post here, I would have dismissed the book out-of-hand. However I've got it on order now..... so I'm hoping it's going to be as good as the recommendations.

Glass Owl

Her card meanings seem to be intuitive in nature. I don't see them lining up with an element or a Tarot suit's definitions. There are some match ups though. For instance, her definition of 3 of Hearts (regret and sorrow) fits the Three of Swords.

Satori

I have been working on typing up a few tips on playing card reading for myself and my nephew, and well, it has been a challenge. This system, if you don't read cards at all, has been challenging on me to write up. I suppose this may be due to the fact that maybe I don't get it yet.

The sheet is a mix of things from the web, AT and the Lenormand. But truly, this method, until you use it and can really see the relationships is hard to write up.

I've been trying to symplify what LB said in the first post, and I don't think I'm successfull yet. ugh.

Bernice

Satori said:
I have been working on typing up a few tips on playing card reading for myself and my nephew, and well, it has been a challenge. This system, if you don't read cards at all, has been challenging on me to write up. I suppose this may be due to the fact that maybe I don't get it yet.

The sheet is a mix of things from the web, AT and the Lenormand. But truly, this method, until you use it and can really see the relationships is hard to write up.

I've been trying to symplify what LB said in the first post, and I don't think I'm successfull yet. ugh.
Satori, does this mean that you have the book ....and are you finding it useful when doing it 'hands-on'?

Glass Owl: Her card meanings seem to be intuitive in nature. I don't see them lining up with an element or a Tarot suit's definitions. There are some match ups though. For instance, her definition of 3 of Hearts (regret and sorrow) fits the Three of Swords.
No elemental suit associations - now that pleases me :) It means we can do our 'own thing'!

Thank you both for replying.

Satori

No Bea, I'm just using the thread here....and I haven't really gotten the feel of this whole method yet. I need the book!

Bernice

Satori, when I get the book (it's in the post} I'll post a review here :)

Bernice

The book arrived!

I've had a look through it - sorted it out the best I can at this time. Maybe later, when I've gone more deeply into it I'll post again. here's my current take on it.

Personal Prophesy. By Deborah Leigh and Elizabeth Rose. (283 pages).

This book is divided into 3 parts, with levels within each a part.
The whole book has touchy-feely, psychological slant. Relationships/emotions etc. (New-age psycho-stuff doesn't go down well with me.....).

The first 30 pages of this are by way of an introduction and preparation. They bolster the 'intuitive' approach by way of personal affirmation(s).

The last page of this section erroneously states that the playing cards were derived from Tarot cards - and further declares that "most historians agree..."!
As this book was published in 2003 I'm very surprised at the authors lack of knowledge! It is now commonly believed (due to historical research) that playing cards were derived from the Mamluk cards which first entered Italy and Spain.The Mamluk cards were re-worked for gaming, and later on the 'trionfi' (trumps) were designed in Italy and then added to the re-worked Mamluk deck. This 'enlarged' deck evolved into the present day 78 card 'Tarot'. (I wish all authors would CHECK their facts!)

The book proper begins with four chapters on the Suits. However the suits aren't catagorised into 'elements' etc. These chapters are a basic overview (beginners level) of each card in it's suit with a summary of the card meanings at the end. The emphasis is on 'intuitional' understandings, and it is stressed throughout the book that you should extend and develope these meanings via your own (growing) intuition.

Some meanings will be very familiar; Ace Hearts = Home. 9 Hearts = Wish card. etc. Oddly, all the Fours are rather negative.
No reason or structure for the card meanings are given, so you have to learn them off by heart.

Some indication of the Suit meanings is contained within the card text, and appears to be;

Hearts: Loving, tender, sensitive-to-need.
Spades:: Very heavy emotional cards. (For the most part, negative)
Diamonds:: Developement, relationship, and acquisiton. In terms of their 'literal' meanings.
Clubs:: These are described as being cards of movement, active. They tend to psychological experences.

The Personal Prophesy layout begins on page 61.
From here on in, the book moves into deeper & fuller information about the cards as used in readings, plus various spreads and the best way to assess the cards in relation to their Positions and accompanying cards.

Part 3 begins at page 178 and focuses on various 'readings' and how best to view/handle them; For yourself / others, emotional & psychological involvement(s) etc. etc. And ends with a short section of Testimonials. This 3rd part of the book doesn't do anything for me - lots of affirmations etc. etc. If others find it useful or enlightening, please do post your findings here.
:::

The approach to the spreads is, to my mind, what makes this book worthwhile (for me). They can appear to be somewhat complicated, but therein is a 'method' for working quite specifically with a deck - once you're happy with your card-meanings.

........not too sure if it's worth the asking price though........