Interesting Combinations using a three card system for courts

Bernice

Oops, just saw your post Satori - having a snack in the other room.

Can't find any means of contacting the author in the book, but there's a link to her site in an earlier post, maybe her email is there?

Bee :)

POST #114

celticnoodle

Bernice said:
A very disappointed Bee :(
well, I am sorry about that, Bee, as I think my recommendation led you to purchase the book. I for one, didn't think the book was THAT bad, though I do admit, the book could be written better.

quite honestly, I bought the book to learn a new way to do cartomancy but also with the thought of adapting some of it to use with tarot. the court portion I adopted after finding it when LB first posted. I purchased the book after he began this thread--but had been eyeing it for some time.

Now, the way LB explains it IS FAR easier to understand, I think. Deborah Leigh should consider hiring LB to help her write her next book with her! :laugh:

I do admit, I could do without all the stories, blah, blah, blah stuff that she includes. I didn't buy the book to read those stories, but to learn another readers way with cartomancy. I do still like the book and recommend it--but that is my opinion.

Bernice

Not casting aspersions at you celticnoodle. Indeed no! (aspersions ?)

It was LBs post (oooh.. I thought, exciting new cartomantic method with the courts....) that triggered me into buying the book. I thought that it must contain much more than what LB posted. Well, it does, but not with the expected content.

By the time you posted that web-link (Psychic Love Doctor - God Help Us!), the book was practically with the postman. So DON'T be sorry, you've nothing to be sorry for! You will not be alone in likeing this book, thousands of others will feel the same as you. And some other thousands will feel like me.

celticnoodle: quite honestly, I bought the book to learn a new way to do cartomancy but also with the thought of adapting some of it to use with tarot. the court portion I adopted after finding it when LB first posted. I purchased the book after he began this thread--but had been eyeing it for some time.
(My italics in the above). So did I ! .......and to be honest, I'm still in the early stages of doing just that! But based on LBs' postings :)

I also became intrigued with the pip-card meanings. There's a tiny snippet that briefly mentions the numbers, 1, 2 and 3, in relation to the pip meanings - but there's no proper 'match' to pips with the same numerals, and nothing further about it.

If this book hadn't been so expensive I probably wouldn't feel so bad about it. I expect I've been spoiled by other writers whose books are packed full with cartomantic methods & info., like these:

Card Fortune Telling. By C. Thorpe............................£1.50 (63 pages)
Fortune Telliing With Cards. By P. Foli........................£2.75 (140 pages)
Fortune-Telling with Playing Cards. By Jonathon Dee....£9.99 (185 pages)

So for a book costing £18.99, and having 283 pages, expectations were HIGH - and not even met half-way.

firefrost

In the past, I too have jumped in feet-first and wasted a lot of money on decks/books that I've ended up selling at half the price.

I'm so glad I learned my lesson before I went for this book.

Thank's for the extensive review, Bee. :)

Bernice

'lo firefrost :)

I've posted the book in the Trading thread.... LOL
But if others who are like me, end up here and read my take on it, they'll be no sale/exchange! (Gotta try though.)

I must admit that I like the 'court-thing' with the cards, I should have waited patiently for LB to return and post his further 'adaptations'.

Glass Owl

I am mixed about the book as well. Some of the "counselor" type stuff I liked, actually, and I think that reading it helped me. That said though, the book wasn't marketed as that and if you are expecting strictly a book about reading playing cards I can see one being disappointed.

As for the explanations about reading the cards, it was confusing and the information seems to be jumbled up. (At the moment I'm trying to adapt her Grandmother's Bed spread for Tarot and it's a bit challenging.)

While reading the book, I couldn't help but try to compare my Tarot meanings with her playing card meaning. Reading through her explanations I realized that I don't see card definitions as black and white as she seems to. I like seeing layers and that the cards can take on variations of meanings based on the reading, the position, and other cards around it.

I don't know about the others that read the book, but I did find her definitions for the 7 of Clubs (sexual attraction) and the 6 of Hearts (romantic love) very interesting. In some situations I think that her 7 of Clubs definition fits the 8 of Wands and the 6 of Hearts fits the 6 of Cups.

LB really connected some stray pieces of information, adapted them to use with Tarot, and really put them into a format that one could understand. If it wasn't for the fact that he mentioned the book, I would have never made the connection even after reading the book!

Satori

Hi Peeps,

In my frenzy to find more playing card threads i did stumble across more info on the Personal Prophecy system. Apparently there were quite a few people studying the info with LB and more than one thread about the courts.

This shows some of the links I was able to find, some of them based on the PP system. Hope it helps!

Bernice

Satori, kudos to you! May the Bluebird of Happiness sit on your shoulder :)

Great links you've ferreted out and put together all in one place. It must have taken you ages.... (I recognise Phoenix Rising from the Lenormand threads :) )

NOW, we can see what others made of this method, it's a great help.

But I'm rapidly going off the 'which-way-the-courts-face' idea, as only these 4 Courts face to the right/future (also depends on the deck I suppose...),

K Spades, Q Spades, J Spades, J Clubs
----------------------

I'm finding LBs 'adaptation' more useful, where a court-card in the First Position is representive of the Querent, whether by features or characteristics. (I don't expect everyone uses the P.P.card meanings though.....)

In those cases where the 'querent' is a non-sentient 'thing' and a court-card is in the first place, i.e: querent is, house, book, work-place, company, hotel, holiday resort, car, garden, computer, etc., I'm assigning 'non-sentient meanings' to the courts.

I'm finding that Sometimes the non-sentient court is a person who is directly in charge of, or responsible for, the 'thing'. Or someone who needs to be dealt with on behalf of the 'thing'.

It's working fine (for me) so far. Here's my 'non-sentient' Club-Courts (in the quote):

CLUBS: Getting the job done.

KING
Primarily: Sound structure.
Attitude: Proficient workmanlike approach with hands-on experience. Will provide continued service (or mainentance) IF this has been attested to (guarantees, warranties, recommendations etc.).
Qualities, associated with,: Building, construction-renovation-footings. Landscape gardening. Quality control. Surveying. Wholesome food/recipes. Precision engineering, etc.

QUEEN
Primarily: Efficiency & convenience.
Attitude: Smooth-running of basic or necesssary factors, without frills or tweaking. Attention to pertinent details.
Qualities, associated with,: Good housekeeping. Stage-manager. General 'organiser'. Interviewing for suitable qualities/qualifications. etc.

JACK
Primarily: Labour-saving, time-saving, economy.
Attitude: Implementing or applying workable short-cuts. Economical ideas, devices, or services.
Qualities, associated with,: Time & Motion (job or studies). Innovative 'gadgets'. Stripping back to essentials. Paving over the lawn. Fast food. etc.

HEARTS: Meeting the requirements.

-----------

The 'Quality' associations are only there to get a 'feel' for the Primary meanings.

Example: In the case of the Jack, if he turned up as representing an Insurance Company that you're thinking of taking out a policy with, you might want to check out some other firms before going ahead.
But if your query was about a Mobile Phone' to be used for some very basic purpose only, then the Jack just might fit the bill.
----------------

Welf

Bernice:
Satori, kudos to you! May the Bluebird of Happiness sit on your shoulder :)

NOW, we can see what others made of this method, it's a great help.

But I'm rapidly going off the 'which-way-the-courts-face' idea, as only these 4 Courts face to the right/future (also depends on the deck I suppose...),

K Spades, Q Spades, J Spades, J Clubs
----------------------

I'm finding LBs 'adaptation' more useful, where a court-card in the First Position is representive of the Querent, whether by features or characteristics. (I don't expect everyone uses the P.P.card meanings though.....)

In those cases where the 'querent' is a non-sentient 'thing' and a court-card is in the first place, i.e: querent is, house, book, work-place, company, hotel, holiday resort, car, garden, computer, etc., I'm assigning 'non-sentient meanings' to the courts.

I'm finding that Sometimes the non-sentient court is a person who is directly in charge of, or responsible for, the 'thing'. Or someone who needs to be dealt with on behalf of the 'thing'.

It's working fine (for me) so far.
First... Gee Satori, that must have taken you ages to do, to complile such a list... good on you and thanks heaps...

Bernice, I am also finding the LBs 'adaptation' method much more of a help than anything else so far... though, I haven't looked at all the links Satori posted up... it will take a while to do so and no doubt muddle my head a bit more and give me something else to sort out... Even so, I have a gut feeling that LB's method is the one which will suit me the best as I'm already sort of adapting it (in a fashion), to my regular tarot reading. Brings in a good dimension and quality of action for the courts.

The rest of your post will as usual, take me a day or so to work through... I'm basically a slow moving creature, rarely in a rush, have lived in the isolated outback of Australia for too long... and like to take my time thinking about things...

As for the Bohemian Gothic Queen of Swords tarot bag question you asked in a previous post (The bag which I supposedly got for my non Tarot reading Goth daughter).. well... I haven't given her anything yet... I contacted the shop again and they told me they think they have a Bohemian Gothic High Priestess tarot bag as well, and if they do locate it, (I find out in the next day or so), I'm going to buy that too... and then we chose who gets which one...

Welf

Satori

Bee I'll have to spend some time with that idea....it looks advanced to me! LOL, I'm such a newbie to this, that I will need to look at your post again...and figure out what I'm doing.

Thanks for the praise everyone....I just wanted to find some Playing Cards threads....so I kept at it.