Interesting Combinations using a three card system for courts

AngelC

I didn't think of this as a system I would "use".
I read that first post then just went - "makes complete sense, that's the way it is, why ever read any other way" :D
Thanks LB for showing us this.

AngelC

celticnoodle

L.B. I find it fascinating how you read the court cards in this case, and since I do a lot of spreads that incorporate 3 cards in each of the positions, I'm going to study your way more and try it. it's a great idea!

the court cards almost always stump me! I find them so difficult, but love your explanation with how to read them in each position. thank you for offering your explanation---you make it seem so simple! hopefully i'll be able to breeze through my readings now, when the courts appear! :laugh:

I've copied your original post to have handy for future reference. thank you again for sharing this. :)

Little Baron

rissa said:
Forgive me if this has been aanswered(I've made my way through this whole thread on a bloody blackberry) but what two courts are drawn? If they are in 1 and 3 I'd say querent and other person, respectively, but what if they are side by side?

Forgive me, if I havn't understood this properly.

If you have them side by side in positions 2 and 3 [is that what you mean], it would look something like this -

2 of Cups >>>> Queen of Wands >>>> Knight of Cups

Yes?

So, as you are not 'described' by the first card, you are 'off-stage' [I love that new term - describes it perfectly].

But you share the '2 of Cups' with the queen. She may be a friend or lover. But she is definitely someone else.

The knight is also someone else. What you need to try and find out is what he has to do with the equation. You might ask yourself the following questions -

Are they actually a couple - Mrs Wands and Mr Cups?

Or is he someone that has a strong influence on both her and the relationship that you have with her?

Is he someone that she is hiding from you?

I am sure that there are many questions, but those might be the obvious ones. But courts in positions 2 and 3 will always be someone else.

Now, if they were in other positions -

Queen of Wands >>> Knight of Cups >>> 2 of Cups

We now see that you are the queen in this situation. The knight is someone else that you have some sort of 'sharing' or exchange with. We can find out a little about the knight's intentions by what he 'holds' - the '2 of Cups'. He might be a true friend. He might have designs on either formulating a friendship with you, or something a little deeper - but right now, he is holding out a hand of true emotional connection.

Does that explain a bit better?

LB

[You guys are great, by the way. I appreciate every comment made in this thread. At some point, I may share some of the layouts that Debeorah Leigh has included in her book. Her methods of reading are very lively. But they might be also very complicated to describe here and might confuse everyone, lol]

Little Baron

room said:
It is so nice to see people assimilating and playing with ideas instead of arguing and bashing people over the head in a self-righteous parody of discussion.

I am just watching a program on BBC News about Thomas Heatherwicke, the UK designer. I am knocked over.

Why do people nitpick and harangue others when we can make things and play with ideas?

LB, I dislike doing conventional readings because I am so sick of being told what something means or that it isn't correct or "magical" to process something the way I do.

You have piqued my interest again by reading in this manner. I will make an effort to try it and question.

I whole-heartedly agree room. This thread has really warmed me. It is threads like this where our community really shines. We are working for the same cause; and together; helping one another and sharing information and experience. And it is threads like this that keep me returnng.

I completely understand what you mean about conventional reading. It took me a long time to get past what I thought I 'should' be doing and look at ways that I 'could' be doing. And now, my reading is a fusion of many different things. Some learnt from one place and others from gut instinct. And it feels right for me. I am very pleased to hear that it has also piqued your interest. I think that this method works well for anyone who has a lively imagination and enjoys story-telling, because it gives us great characters and plots, with a way of watching them unfold a little more clearly.

Thanks for your observation. It is lovely to note the lack of arguing in discussion and see people truely enjoying to play and try new stuff out.

LB

rissa

Little Baron said:
Forgive me, if I havn't understood this properly.

If you have them side by side in positions 2 and 3 [is that what you mean], it would look something like this -

2 of Cups >>>> Queen of Wands >>>> Knight of Cups

Yes?

So, as you are not 'described' by the first card, you are 'off-stage' [I love that new term - describes it perfectly].

But you share the '2 of Cups' with the queen. She may be a friend or lover. But she is definitely someone else.

The knight is also someone else. What you need to try and find out is what he has to do with the equation. You might ask yourself the following questions -

Are they actually a couple - Mrs Wands and Mr Cups?

Or is he someone that has a strong influence on both her and the relationship that you have with her?

Is he someone that she is hiding from you?

I am sure that there are many questions, but those might be the obvious ones. But courts in positions 2 and 3 will always be someone else.

Now, if they were in other positions -

Queen of Wands >>> Knight of Cups >>> 2 of Cups

We now see that you are the queen in this situation. The knight is someone else that you have some sort of 'sharing' or exchange with. We can find out a little about the knight's intentions by what he 'holds' - the '2 of Cups'. He might be a true friend. He might have designs on either formulating a friendship with you, or something a little deeper - but right now, he is holding out a hand of true emotional connection.

Does that explain a bit better?

LB

[You guys are great, by the way. I appreciate every comment made in this thread. At some point, I may share some of the layouts that Debeorah Leigh has included in her book. Her methods of reading are very lively. But they might be also very complicated to describe here and might confuse everyone, lol]
That's perfect- thank you. :kiss:

room

Okay, I'm going to try this. I like the idea of drawing 3 partner cards in one position. So since I'm learning I'll do this and post it to help me keep it straight. I am way out of practice with readings but this really appealed to me--it's like a chemical equation and I was always good at those.

I used the Outlook Spread from Power Tarot. Didn't have a specific question--just wanted a general look-see on my life for the next two months. I am using the Experimental Tarot which uses slightly different names, but everyone will get the gist. I like its meditative quality. Mother and Father are Queen and King, and Daughter and Son are Page and Knight.

1) 3)

2) 4)

1) Outlook for the situation, event, or project
2) What/Who will help
3) What this will lead to.
4) How you will feel about the outcome.

1) Forest - 9 Earth; Quake - 5 Earth; Mother of Water

I am off stage. Mother of Water is someone else but we share a lot of earthy stuff.

A disappointment at the work involved, we have so much to plant and hoe, the forest seems like an endless burden while we want to sing and dance. I've had this 5 of Earth before, the picture looks like he has a volcano exploding through his anus up his spine. Someone needs to light a fire under his bum. That Queen is such a nurturer though, perhaps she understands the need to swim a bit and cool down before taking up the hoe. If you leave the work too long, you won't have anything to eat. She shares that with me as well, I could possibly starve. Better hard work than starvation.

2) 11 Law; Son of Water; Father of Water

I am off stage again. The Son of Water is someone else and carries his Father the King as his intention. I share Major 11 with the Son of Water.

Cups courts have always seemed a bit baffling to me. I seem to have a lot in this reading, so lots of emotion. The Son the Knight is like someone in training, aspiring to be the calm leader his Father looks as he holds a compass of assurance and direction. It is the law that Son will follow Father. He needs balance and judgement to fulfill this legacy, but has a tendency to dream of quests and romanticize the world, to think he can save it with honour and song and dance, wearing his swimming trunks on his windboard, jazzing a smile at a pretty girl in the water.

I share Judgement with him, I can see myself in him, the longing to lead, the lack of balance and measurement in action, the enjoyment of fun. The twin towers of the World Trade Center are in this card: if one falls, so does the other. The Son helps me see my own fate in the balance.

3) Spring - 2 Water; Flash - 7 Fire; Son of Earth

I am off stage, ever waiting for my entrance, doomed to see life played out by others. I share 2 of Water and 7 of Fire with the Son of Earth. Love and companionship with bombs and firecrackers. The Son of Earth is a bit stodgy, plodding on like a cart horse with head down. We share the longing for up-in-the-clouds company and the spark, the flash of the challenge and pursuing what we want. We will persevere and find it, we see the goal, we forge onward.

4) 20 Judgement; Daughter of Fire; Fog - 7 of Air

Off stage again, I share Judgement with the Daughter of Fire and she moves toward the 7 of Air.

The vision of Judgement is like a beam of clarity, pinpointing each individual in their position in life, like a Buddha in a courtroom. The Daughter likes people and to share, she likes teamwork and flying and ideas and energy, but she seems to be fogging up, losing her discernement, getting lost in the maze. Someone stood up in the cinema and blocked the projector from beaming its film to the screen.

Can Judgement be impaired by fog and uncertainty, or can you continue on through the fog, with a lack of clarity? Perhaps I feel the outcome is not as clear as I'd hoped? Perhaps she is telling me that energy can burn through fog no matter how static you feel? If you can't see, you can always hear your way. I feel hampered in the outcome but the reality is that I still move toward something, although in fog.

I see why people find this method so exciting. Although a bit more effort, it seems to get to the matter in a way a single card doesn't. I couldn't think of other people in my life that could be the court cards, but they certainly stood for something that I understood. I enjoyed very much weaving the story. I feel I'm a little unsure of positions, but with practice they should fall into each other more easily. At the minute, I keep checking the notes to make sure I've connected them properly.

The equation makes great sense, I like it LB.

Little Baron

Thanks so much for sharing that with us room. It made very interesting reading [I will have to check out the deck - havn't heard of that one].

I think you wove the characters and elements through the cards well, and your reading buzzed with liveliness, it seemed to me. Sometimes, with single cards, they can seem a bit stagnent for me. They are 'there' and I get that 'what am I supposed to do with this' thought. But like your example shows, there are flowing sentences in the little trios, each an adventure in themselves. I thought that your comments on the cups court were interesting. I like how they both appeared together. Sitting behind the younger member of the court, maybe the older shows some support.

I understand what you mean about not always being able to relate courts to people in life. In that situation, I think there are times when the influence or past memories of people are available for teaching and learning in our cards, as well as those that are directly in the hear and now. The Father of Water does not necessarily have to be in the hear and now of the son's life, to be a strong influence. I am still influenced extremely by people I have known, but not seen for many years.

Thanks again. Will come back to this tomorrow with a fresh set of eyes, as it is 2:25am here and off to bed.

LB

room

Little Baron said:
It made very interesting reading [I will have to check out the deck - havn't heard of that one].

Not too many people like it--the creator, Samvado Gunnar Kossatz (another Osho devotee) used Corel Draw vector clip art for it. That's why I love it, the illustrations are clean and crisp. It's also Thoth based, but with his own charming way of things and meditation topics and affirmations. Nice font for titling (maybe an Art Deco font or a ripoff of same from Corel.) English edition; ISBN 3898756491. There are astrological associations for the cards but I don't use them.

I have found them marvelous for intuitive work because he invented his own little system in conjunction with the Thoth. They are creatively inspiring in their artwork. I usually just wing it and leave the book closed.

Highly recommended by me for those who like something different.

Little Baron

Oh, yes I have seen that deck. But only recently. There is a bookshop in London where I purchased a great coffee table book on Vodou art. They had a whole bundle of that deck on one of the shelves - all at £2.99 each. I had never seen it before. But decided that I didn't need any more decks at that time. But I can see what you mean. With such a lively method of reading, it is matched by an unconventional set of images. I think this method is great because you can use it with any kind of pack. Like you, I also like the Father, Mother, Son and Daughter titling - one of the things that drew me to the Petersen.

LB

room

Little Baron said:
They had a whole bundle of that deck on one of the shelves - all at £2.99 each.

People like their spooky esoterica, most would consider this too modern. They go for Victorian clip art but not this. I love modern illustrative clip art--I don't get it, I find this one of the freshest, most interesting decks in my collection.

With such a lively method of reading, it is matched by an unconventional set of images.

Yes, exactly, it's wonderful. Very freeing to the intuition.

Thoth and Osho together--what could be more interesting? At that price. . .