Interesting Combinations using a three card system for courts

Little Baron

Haha Gazel.

I agree with this.

If I was asking about my relationship with a certain person, then like you, if a court showed up, I would treat it as the person in question and their personality.

But if there were two, I might conisder that someone else had an influence.

LB

Gazel

Little Baron said:
But if there were two, I might conisder that someone else had an influence.

LB

Yes, if for example QoW had KoC or some other court card immidiately to be considered a male to the right.
That would not be good, since I should think some lady had come between me and him - if I'd still asked about my husband, that is.

Glad it's not so *LOL*.

The most interesting and useful thing about this method or spread, is al the possible combinations. Al the stuff it can us tell about our relations with people.

I'll certainly use it everytime I have considerations about how to act or feel or think in relation to another person, that being a friend, a colleague etc.

K. Gazel.

Reverie

My attempt

Hello everyone :)

I'm delighted that I came across this thread.
Thank you so very much for posting it LB. I remember you had done a wonderful reading for me using this technique and I had always wanted to ask you more specifics about it because it was so accurate!

I tried it out for myself today and I wanted to run it through here to make sure I am doing it correctly :) I don't think we've come across an example where person is position 2 is represented by another gender.... but maybe it is because the trio represents future tendencies.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Here it goes, with the Victorian Romantic...

What is going to happen between X [male] and I [female]?

Page of cups rx Queen of pentacles 2 of pentacles rx

Position 1 I am represented by the page of cups rx
Position 2 The queen of pentacles should be representative of him but in violation of the gender rule... Could this be another female? But in which case she should appear in position # 3, no? Another question, if we do indeed take into consideration that a queen is ALWAYS going to be female, then perhaps this is someone that I don't know who will come to affect the future of me and this man? But then it wouldn't make sense that I share anything with her since she is in position 2. Confused!
Position 3 As I understand, what he will bring to the relationship/how he will affect it. Inability to juggle two things at once is how I see it. Or perhaps me not enjoying being played around casually?

I have a childlike attachment to him and we share an immature emotional connection. He, possibly represented by the queen of pentacles isn’t quite sure what he brings to the relationship and won’t be able to juggle a multitude of things at once. Perhaps he will be unable to carry on a relationship with myself (page of cups rx), and someone else (queen of pentacles)? But this is in violation of all rules since he is supposed to be represented by the queen of pentacles… Nevertheless it seems he will lose either page of cups or queen of pentacles.
With the shadow card as 6 of wands rx and the HP as quintessential this may reinforce the idea that I will be the losing party or embarrassed one because something is hidden.

OR as an alternate interpretation, I have the immature emotional connection and we we both care about one another in a nurturing way, but a choice will be made between 2 things which he will take. Or he will be forced to take a decision and won't have as much fun juggling different people around?

OR it is I who will feel like I lost my place of importance (6 of wands rx) to the Queen (but this is an impression, an instinct, high priestess), so I will throw away this wishy washy relationship.

What do you think? Am I doing this right?

Little Baron

Of course, this is your reading, so you have to go with it the way you feel best.

But the good thing about this reading style is that it should relieve all doubt by making things water-tight by position [I feel].

If this reading was just about you and was open-ended, then yes, that 'Queen of Pentacles' would most definitely be a woman. If you were asking about your career, as an example, she would most likely be someone who had an influence on it. And that influence would be shaped by the 'Two of Pentacles'.

But since you are asking about your relationship with a specific person, she stands in as a representation of their personality, I feel. He is the 'Queen of Pentacles', regardless of gender, because you asked about him specificially. The Queen of Pentacle's personality traits apply.

I often look at the first court, if it displays us, to show our intentions to some degree, by element and rank. So it might be that your part of this emotional question is relatively playful, as you note, and not yet particularly serious or developed. At least, this is how it may appear to the queen [or the man in question]. In that, he might be letting you do all of the 'leg-work' in the liasson. The 'Two of Pentacles' might show him to be playing you around or playing you off against another. This guy [could] be a player, who doesn't need to do the chasing, since he has girls with an enthusiastic emotional interest coming to him time and again.

This is just a small example of how it 'could' work. That 'Two of Pentacles', however you read it, is important, I think. Because it shows us something under the surface that we might not be aware of. We don't always know what someone elses intention is, so this gives us a clue. If it shows him juggling an interest in more than one girl or the 'Queen of Pentacles' reminds us that he is not putting in that much effort, we can then alter how we react to him - we can mature from 'Page of Cups' to another court, when we are aware that we might need to.

Hope that makes sense.

You know, what I like about this system is that it is actually a relief when a court falls into the trio because you know how to work with it. It is actually more difficult, sometimes, to work out what three cards mean without a person there to shape and help. I think it is brilliant for learning, because as the 'empty' courts carry other cards, we learn how to mould meanings and see how they react with different burdens to carry.

LB

Little Baron

Just a few examples.

Was just pulling 'threes' with the Lyle 'Lovers' tarot, for fun.

And I got:

Six of Swords ~ Knight of Swords ~ The Moon

Some see swords as problematic, so to begin with, two of the three coming from that suit might be a warning. It could also remind us that this trip is one of the mind and that the court in question is someone we have a mental association with.

In RWS tradition, a journey is indicated by the 'Six of Swords', and this is what we share with the knight. Both being sword cards, we are being taken to another place, upon his horse. Our mind-set is shifting, and it is he that helps us move to calmer waters. Yes?

Now this is why that card that he carries is so important. Many of us are fearful of the Moon. Even if it is not as scary as the Tower, for a lot of us, it still sets alarm bells ringing. I often see it as a powercut. The lights go out and our hearts start racing until they either come back on again or someone lets us know that we are safe. In the dark, not everything is certain. Within it, we are vulnerable. It is a great card for the manipulator because it is easier for them to work in a setting of darkness and confusion.

And this knight carries the Moon upon his shoulders. This Moon is his intention. Is he manipulating us? Are his words leading us to believe something that is not true and will be uncovered by the Sun in the morning? Our Knight of Swords may be a charmer. He may be someone that can wind sentences together hypnotically, and with the weight of the moon, it might not be too difficult for us to fall under his spell. And in that, we can be carried off on a journey that might be potentially damaging for us in the long run; especially mentally. For me, the lobster/crayfish in the card symbolises 'unseen influences'. This man carries unseen influences that we are not aware of.

Of course, this is only one description of the Moon. There are others that may seem relevant to you in a reading. The knight in the pack I am using looks pretty exhausted. Maybe the Moon has an affect on him too. Is he depressive? Is it us that needs to steer him to calmer waters?

Does that make sense?

LB

Little Baron

Just coming back to the point made about Majors by Astraea Aurora:

Today, I was asking my 'Old English' [another deck that works well with this system] about my day. I am meant to be going out this evening with my friend. I have had a bad migraine [which still hasn't passed completely] all day, so not really in the mood. But one of my considerations was money, since I recently left my job.

I pulled -

Knight of Coins ~ Empress ~ Judgement

I just laughed out loud. My friend is always the Empress. Always has been and always will be. Started with the Phantasmagoric Theatre. She was the Empress and her husband, the King of Coins. They look just like the two of them, it is uncanny.

So I gaged that this was me and her. She was going to be judging me a bit by the decision I make. And that decision would be made around money [knight of coins].

So I draw the cards underneath each one in the pile, to see what shadows are cast.

For her, the 'King of Coins' is there .. hehehe. I take this to reflect that she also doesn't have the money for wild nights out, but at least she can lean on her husband for some pocket money.

So yes, there are times when a major just FEELS right as a person. But I would treat this as and when it comes, with no hard and fast rules.

LB

Reverie

Formulating a question

Little Baron said:
But since you are asking about your relationship with a specific person, she stands in as a representation of their personality, I feel. He is the 'Queen of Pentacles', regardless of gender, because you asked about him specificially. The Queen of Pentacle's personality traits apply.
nal interest coming to him time and again.

Thank you for the ideas, LB. I wasn't sure if it was another woman... it didn't feel like it, and it does make sense, since position 2 should represent the other person. If she had come up in position 3, I assume it would in fact be another woman. The more I try this technique, the more questions I have/ the more confusing!

I guess my question now is how do you formulate a good question for this reading style? Should it be open ended?

Or say a question is asked concerning someone's intentions, and only none-courts appear-- then do you take this to mean it depicts purely their intentions, and you are not represented by position 1?

celticnoodle

LB, I'm hoping you can help me in finding this book. I know you gave the title and the author, but I don't seem to be able to locate it online. Can you PM me the ISBN? I'd love to order this book and see what other great systems I can find in it. thank you!

Celticnoodle

Astraea Aurora

Little Baron said:
Hi AA

Since it is a playing card method that I have borrowed this system from, there is no majors to consider. But when used for tarot cards, I suppose that in some readings, it might make sense to see a major as a person. I often see my friend as The Sun or my father as The Emperor. I don't think that I would do this in every read, since I find the Sun is an important bridge of warmth between cards [or it has been for me in the last week] .. but on some occasions, if your gut tells you it is a person, go with it.

I think the important thing is to adapt this method to suit you and your deck.

Hi LB,

that's exactly what I did. I went with my gut. Although I didn't know WHO it was (being represented by a Major) I knew at least that it was someone I knew. In fact I don't have anybody being represented by a Major all the time - funnily they always chose to appear as Courts, a friend of mine was always the Queen of Swords, both my dad and my boyfriend are always the King of Cups and so on.

Little Baron said:
One thing we did notice, when teaching, was how different decks work with this method better than others. It seemed that the simpler packs were more effective. Also, those with pictures that were more close up. The Gilded was ok, but a bit too jumbled. But the Margarete Petersen was too vague. And there was a little too much going on in the Kaos. The best, by far, was the Morgan Greer, followed by the Renaissance. A Marseille or pip deck is also very effective. Because this method is brash and simple, a deck with a simple 'here it is' images helps each card become just one word in a sentence. It makes things less confusing. The courts in the Morgan Geer are large and their directions in which they face help a lot. Just an observation.

I haven't noticed anything like that ... but in the last weeks I only used my Victorian Romantic :D. I can really imgaine how my Art Nouveau dislikes the idea whereas the Fenestra loves it. In my opinion it has a lot to do with the deck's personality. Sometimes they are just like kids, both stubborn and cute, }) and :angel:.