The purple cloth behind Justice

zephyr_heart

Does anyone know the meaning of the purple cloth behind Lady Justice?

Ambience

Purple represents sprirituality often, one of the chakra colours. It has always been my favourite colour.I got this quote from another site regarding the colour.

Purple is the color of good judgment. It is the color of people seeking spiritual fulfillment. It is said if you surround yourself with purple you will have peace of mind. Purple is a good color to use in meditation.

Purple has been used to symbolize magic and mystery, as well as royalty. Being the combination of red and blue, the warmest and coolest colors, purple is believed to be the ideal color. Most children love the color purple. Purple is the color most favored by artists.

re-pete-a

Veils are like levels or layers or doors.
Until you have reached the point of knowledge where the VEIL disappears, the seeker is forced , through un seeing eyes, to remain on the one side , ignorant of the other sides existance.
Even if the other side becomes a known , it wont remove the block of the veil until those barriers of mindset or inexperience that the veil is there to block, become nullified.

Abrac

It's a veil or curtain. The Pictorial Key to the Tarot says, "In conclusion, the pillars of Justice open into
one world and the pillars of the High Priestess into another."

In the occult there are always hidden worlds behind that which we see manifested in the material world. The figure of Justice herself is the outward manifestation of a hidden principle from which she originates.

Toxicmage

I for some reason thought that there was water behind that veil. The HP representing the non-physical and the Justice representing the physical plane.

But I thought water was the common thread with the two cards. I could be wrong however.

lucifall

purple/violet veil

According to The tarot a key to wisdom of the ages, violet, the colour of the curtains, is referred to Jupiter and the Wheel of Fortune, to suggest that the veils of mechanism (Key 10) conceal from the uninitiated that the whole Universe is permeated by the life-breath of the spirit, symbolized by Yellow.
The circle within the square which hold the cape of Justice, refer to the movement of spirit within matter, which is similar to the symbolism of key 10, which shows the wheel surrounded by the four cherubs.(Wisdom of tarot P.Case Golden Dawn tarot series 1)
I think we also have a nice key here, why Justice is 11, and not 8.

lucifall

Abrac

Waite was following the Golden Dawn by making Justice 11 and Strength 8. They apparently switched them so Strength would correspond with Leo and Justice to Libra in their system of correspondences. I say apparently because they didn't feel it was necessary to switch The Moon and The High Priestess so The Moon would correspond with the Moon. There may be more to it that I'm unaware of.

Debra

Toxicmage said:
I for some reason thought that there was water behind that veil. The HP representing the non-physical and the Justice representing the physical plane.

But I thought water was the common thread with the two cards. I could be wrong however.

You're right. She is sitting in front of a curtain or veil, behind which is a body of water just barely visible on either side of the two pillars.

Her robe at the bottom is also pretty watery looking.

Here's a picture.

So if she's in a building, she's facing into it. She's not guarding the entrance to the building.

There's no water in the Justice card that I can see.

Attachments

• high-priestess.jpg
    high-priestess.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 436

lucifall

Abrac said:
because they didn't feel it was necessary to switch The Moon and The High Priestess so The Moon would correspond with the Moon. There may be more to it that I'm unaware of.

That would fit fine! Pisces for the High Priestess and The Moon on the Moon.
(Sol is The Sun also... why Luna is not The Moon??)
Only then 2 Highpriestess will be Pisces (12th sign) and 4 Emperor Aries (1st sign)

Are you maybe aware if there is a sequence in the order of the planets?
In Zodiac Aries is 1, Taurus 2 etc. . is there such a sequence in the planets?

Light
Lucifall