What Question would you ask Miss Pamela?

tarotbear

When she had converted to Catholicism did she not have to tell the church about her involvement with the Golden Dawn?

Do Catholics tell their church they are using birth control pills and condoms?

Calcifer

I'd ask about the details of the paintings themselves (original size/format), and if she knew where they went when she completed them...
Michael

Luna-Ocean

Do Catholics tell their church they are using birth control pills and condoms?

Well, i not sure about that i just think if she wanted to start being religious then being honest about her past with joining the GD might not of been easy or conflicting for her in some ways? she more or less denounced her involvement with some aspects of the occult was it mainly because she was fearful of how people might of thought of her?

tarotbear

I believe they confess, get absolved and go do it again...

I don't think they confess using birth control at all - 'a sin is not a sin unless a sin is seen' ... but this has nothing to do with the thread!

I would also ask what Pam thought of the deck once it was in print ... one thing to do drawings; another to see it as a finished result. I think I also asked somewhere once in a thread if Pam had actually done the colors or where they done by Rider - and what did she think of the colors Rider had chosen.

Laura Borealis

I'd like to know more about her life after she moved to Cornwall. Was she happy there? Did she keep painting? I know she was never really recognized by the art world (as women artists, and illustrators, often are not) but she may have gone on painting just for the personal satisfaction of it. I can't imagine her giving up painting! Some of her art is really stunning.

http://pcs2051.tripod.com/Stieglitz_Archive_Sonata_No_11_Beethoven.jpg
http://pcs2051.tripod.com/Stieglitz_Archive_Blue_Cat.jpg

I'm also curious whether she really was lesbian or bisexual, as some have claimed. But I wouldn't ask. It's too personal of a question. :)

Zephyros

But she was recognized, by virtue of the fact that she had a career making money off her art. That's more than most artists can say (ask any of the deck creators on the forum). There are just so many artists, many of them from that era and many of them women that it is a highly competitive field. If it hadn't been for the deck she would have passed into obscurity as so many artists do, some of them very talented. Not everyone makes it big, whether they are women or not.

Laura Borealis

Making money off your art isn't the same as being recognized by the art world, though. (Do I need to mention Thomas Kinkaide? }) ) She did have a few showings at Stieglitz's gallery, but as far as I know that's it. If she hadn't gone to Cornwall she might have gotten more recognition. But the art world is very dismissive of illustrators (then and now) and naturally women had, and still have, a harder time getting seen. Male artists still make more money, on average. Etc.

Anyway I like to think of Pamela enjoying painting for its own sake, and not caring about about the glass ceiling of the art world.

Luna-Ocean

I'd like to know more about her life after she moved to Cornwall. Was she happy there? Did she keep painting? I know she was never really recognized by the art world (as women artists, and illustrators, often are not) but she may have gone on painting just for the personal satisfaction of it. I can't imagine her giving up painting! Some of her art is really stunning.

http://pcs2051.tripod.com/Stieglitz_Archive_Sonata_No_11_Beethoven.jpg
http://pcs2051.tripod.com/Stieglitz_Archive_Blue_Cat.jpg

Being into art myself for many years i too would find it hard to just stop painting, i would think Pamela continued with her painting through out her life as a means of keeping busy and if you have ever been to Cornwall its such a stunning place to visit, the country side and coastal views are amazing and i think she would of enjoyed painting the landscapes it's a shame that most of her work has not been found?

Ballerina

I would ask her if creating the card deck changed her spirituality in any way. Did her way of seeing the world change? Did her internal life change at all?