When carrying tarot in a bag do you...

Umbrae

I bag my decks.

The Box gets completely opened and then folded flat, along with the LWB.

Elen Sian

Snap! I just recently folded all my boxes flat because they were starting to show a little wear.

I wrapped the decks in silk and keep them in a wooden box. I have a slightly smaller wooden box of the same design that holds the LWB's and extra cards. When I am going out to read I have a nice black tarot bag that is lined and I leave on the silk that they are wrapped in.

The silk squares that I wrap each deck with corresponds to their dominant colour...ie. blue for the Baseball Tarot, red for the Housewives Tarot and purple for the Intuitive Tarot etc. I can't remember why I did this...think it's just so I don't have to keep unwrapping to find a particular deck.

mysticmonkey

I started off storing them with the box in the bag but it didn't quite feel right to me so I've stored the boxes away and wrapped the cards in a small spread cloth inside the bag.

Grizabella

I used the VR almost exclusively for over a year, just carrying the cards in a baba card bag without the box. They're doing fine. Getting worn from use, but not damaged in any way by being without the box.

I never leave cards in their boxes inside a bag.

tarotlyn

Umbrae said:
I bag my decks.

I have never "flattened" my boxes...but that is a GREAT idea Umbrae!!!:thumbsup::)
That would save so much room when storing them and they would go back
into shape easily, like new, if you needed them to!!!

...also this is a good idea too Elen Sian:
Elen Sian said:
...I have a slightly smaller wooden box of the same design that holds the LWB's and extra cards...

I will be flattening all my boxes in the next days :D Thanks Umbrae!:heart:
...and grouping all the LWBs alphabetically within a giant wooden box...
Thanks Elen Sian! :heart:
~ that way I could get to the LWBs without disturbing the boxes!!!

BTW...I take my cards out of the boxes (only if they are to be a regular
reading deck for me) and put them into colorful see through organza bags
and put all of them together into large white wicker baskets. That way I can
find a special deck very quickly without unwrapping or unboxing them.
The decks that are not daily readers for me stay grouped in their boxes
(alphabetically) on my special tarot bookshelf.

When I go out, I take my pick "of the day" and put it into a special large
tarot tote bag that I made using a heavy biege and burgundy floral tapestry.

Le Fanu

Umbrae said:
I bag my decks.

Wow, what a great idea! Why didn´t I think of this sooner before my life got completely overtaken by empty tarot boxes?

The opening post of this thread made me laugh; it´s a funny question, but - yes - I too have been thinking exactly the same. Don´t you just LOVE AT? You can post about absolutely anything...

I never put my boxes in my bags. Wasn´t the whole point of putting your cards in bags because if you keep them in their original box it´s so easy to unthinkingly leave cards in there, do a spread and then afterwards discover you weren´t using the whole deck? Bags are just so much easier.

If I take my deck out with me, I wrap the deck in a small spread cloth and use one of those scarabeo bags which have a bit of padding...

Opening your drawstring bag and having to take your cards out of a cardboard box with bar-code ruins the mystery somehow. Just not a good look ;)

thorhammer

Boxes annoy the crappers outta me :D So I collect bags as well! I have been known to make my own bags (quite nice, if I may say so) and I try to match not only colour and design with the deck, but size. This is v. important, so that if I do want to lug the thing around with me, I can be fairly certain it's not going to be damaged.

I've been carrying my Wheel of Change with me for months now, in my work backpack in a beautiful bag made by MoonCat2 :heart: and it's not failed me yet. It's perfect - just the right size to slide the deck sideways down to the bottom then fold the rest of the bag around it to keep it nice and snug. And the bag gets more comments than the deck, when I'm out and about! I was carrying the bag wrapped in the matching spreadcloth for a while there, but it just got to be too much.

Big fan of bags. Much nicer than sucky boxes :D

\m/ Kat

Erzebet

For me it really depends if I'm taking the deck with me in my bag. If it's a deck I'm carrying in my bag I just put the cards in a tarot bag. If they're going to sit on a shelf or hang off my bookcases then I put them in their box and then the bag.

I do that because if you use the bag and the box when you tote the decks around the boxes DO and WILL get smooshed and banged up. Most tarot boxes are pretty flimsy and wear down very easily.

I suppose if you're just going out to one place or a reading event it'd be fine, or if you're not highly active. But I'm always on the go and don't have time to baby my bag as I rush through my day, fearing I'm ruining a treasured box. Because I do treasure and love my tarot boxes :).

Teheuti

I carry the decks I use most in either my own knitted tarot cases (instructions on my blog) or a leather case (1970s calculator case), because they hold the cards firmly in a way that most cloth bags don't. I leave the boxes at home so they don't get banged up. Some of my favorite decks are stored in beautiful tarot bags that I've gotten over the internet or through trades, but most aren't ideal for rough-and-tumble circumstances.

lark

My decks each have a bag I've made for them...they are in the bag with no box...I use no-ouch ponytail holders to hold the cards together and then put them in the bag.
The no-ouch ponytail holders have no metal on them and are made of soft cloth so don't hurt the deck or stick to it like a regular rubber band.
This protects the cards from shifting around in the bag...although I make my bags to fit the deck pretty closely....
I fold all foldable boxes and keep all outside packaging in a plastic storage bin.
I have one of sinductions delightful bags..I love it.