When carrying tarot in a bag do you...

Morwenna

I don't have any bags yet.

The decks I don't read with, the boxes (though sometimes a bit roughed up) are still intact; those decks in their boxes live in little cubical shipping boxes, several to a box depending on size.

The decks I do read with, and those I'm currently studying, live in their boxes in a small tote bag with other divination equipment. If the boxes have disintegrated, or if the decks came in large boxed sets and thus don't have small boxes of their own, they're wrapped in scarves and kept in that same tote bag.

I've seen so many bags posted here at AT that I'm really considering making some of my own. (Buying is not an option; I have acres of fabric around here from costuming and I have a perfectly good sewing machine! And besides, maybe someone would buy some from me at an SF con someday...)

kisou

Such fancy ways people store their decks xD!

I actually just have a piece of cloth I embroidered that I use as a spread cloth... and then just use that to wrap my deck tightly in it. Makes it convenient to have a spread cloth available for anywhere I might want to read and my decks haven't been damaged yet :D

stpcarly

Sulis said:
I think it depends on the bag.

The bags I use are lined and so are quite thick and protect the deck well so I put my decks straight into a lined bag without the box.

If the bag was just one layer of fabric then I'd either wrap the deck or leave it in the box..

Lined bags are the way to go (in my opinion ;)).

Ah I forgot you were on this board! Yes if you need a bag, get Sulis here to do it for you! Her bags are perfect and I really love them. I haven't bought a new deck in a while but everytime i do, I go to her site first to see what she has before making a request (yes I'm a pain in the butt at times I think lol).

SolSionnach

I do love Sulis' bags!
That being said, the bag that I have for my Hadar is too wide to hold the cards firmly, so I keep it in the box inside the bag.

Last birthday some friends of mine gave me a Chico's gift card, and it came in a nifty little double-drawstring bag which is EXACTLY the right circumference for my mini Jodo/Camoin TdM! I've taken to hauling that little gem around in my tote bag. It's a bit long for the Jodo, but I've found that isn't really an issue.

shamoness

I have lots of bags I've made that are lined. I keep my working decks in them without the boxes. I keep the boxes in with other decks in photo storage boxes. I also have some bags I keep on hand to use for any special decks that I might normally keep in their box until the season I use them, like the Halloween Tarot, the Grail Tarot, ect.

I agree with the consensus of this thread that the boxes are easily ruined and bags are certainly as, if not more, protective.

VGimlet

Decks I don't use a lot I keep in the boxes. In fact, I am slowly moving some out of bags and back into boxes. I have some decks that didn't come in a box - they are in bags of course.

Once I get rid of the china in the china cabinet, I will have more room and may go back to using bags for more favorite decks.

My deck 'o' the week is always nekkid on my work area.

My regular reading decks (Gilded, Thoth, Noblet) have their own bags, and the empty boxes are in the china cabinet. I really should get a sturdier case or something for the Gilded, which is battered around in my backpack daily.

Syrah

avalonian said:
I also have a really pretty cosmetic bag that I use to additionally protect the deck and bag if the weather is really nasty and I'm worrying about the deck getting damp.

What a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion. They also tend to be made of padded material, offering extra protection against bumps etc.

Grizabella

I'm making buckskin tarot cases and they're very padded and secure to protect decks. (Not tooting my own horn here. :p ) They're sized to fit exactly so the deck doesn't move around, the buckskin is very soft and padded, and the way they're made especially protects the sides and corners. An option of something like that can be a good alternative to keeping them in the original boxes.

I can't afford my own work, though, ( :rolleyes: ) so I use lined fabric bags. The lined bags are very protective of decks. I haven't had any deck damaged that's in a lined fabric bag. I prefer double drawstrings because they stay closed better.

I don't keep my decks in boxes if I have a bag for them. It seems redundant. I keep empty Tarot boxes both big and small but one of these days I intend to flatten them all to save space if I ever get the time and remember to do it.

Le Fanu

Grizabella said:
I'm making buckskin tarot cases and they're very padded and secure to protect decks. (Not tooting my own horn here. :p ) They're sized to fit exactly so the deck doesn't move around, the buckskin is very soft and padded, and the way they're made especially protects the sides and corners

Those sound wonderful. Sounds like you should patent them.... :)