Banned?!!!

rabidwolfie

The ultimate insult came to me at work the other day. They tried to ban my tarot.
I know the first thing you're going to say is that a place of business is not the best place for a tarot reader, & ordinarily I may agree with you, but it's been almost two years & no one has had a single problem with me reading. In fact, most people there beg me to do readings for them. So why the sudden ban?

Because cards of any kind are not allowed on the work floor (understandable) I went to one of our designated break rooms where they ARE allowed. A highly superstitious old woman comes in & sees me doing a reading for a friend of mine. We were sitting near the back of the room, being quiet, both of us minding only our own business, when she starts a VERY LOUD rant about how evil tarot is. Not in the mood to argue, I told her off & ignored her. Not 5 minutes later a supervisor who KNOWS about my reading, comes up & tells me I'm not allowed to bring my cards into work AT ALL because thye make people feel weird.

ong story short I waged war on my place of employment & my cards are no longer to be persecuted s long as I keep doing what I do now, keep to myself & not force anyone to be involved. That REALLY infuriated me. If it was for a better reason than the willfu ignorance of a co-worker, I wouldn't be so upset, but when I am not harming anyone, not pushing them on anyone, & almost no one else has a problem with them, thn I will fight for my right to read!

gregory

Sadly in a work place, like it or not (and I don't) they have the right. Just as Crazy Bones were just banned in my grandson's school....

Alta

gregory's right, but it is so infuriating that one person's say-so can affect everyone. Your supervisor was probably afraid the woman would file some sort of complaint and gave in. But still..... that's ridiculous because bottom line it is letting religion rule the workplace.

A

Eowyn

And at the end, when some time has passed, you will find yourself reading again in the coffe break room, quiet, no disturbing anybody.

As Alta said, there is a religious issue as a bottom line, and THERE the supervisor has a problem. Imagine what would have happened if this lady had found an islamic co-worker praying to the Meca! What happens if you said that if they don't allow you to use your tarot cards in the breaks-room you are the one who's going to feel disturbed? Probably nothing, and that's very unfair, because things are not equal for everybody's beliefs.

EO.

re-pete-a

If your willing, try this.
Take a survey of people at that place that have ANY opinion of your tarot readings.
You will know the general consesus, and if favourable, present it to the person concerned.

If unfavourable go with the outcome.

Just remember that even Solomon consulted the Urrum and thurim oracle readers of the times,plus the whole Genisis, and New Testament are compilations of the prophecies of the readers and seers of that time.

Vadella

As far as I am concerned you weren't forcing anyone to begin with. So really this leads back to square one. You went through a "disruption" that had no real significance. Doesn't your boss know you can sue him for this? I understand if you were using them while working.... but you're using them while in the break room. They're not a weapon. Your boss is a dipsh*t. And I would tell that ignorant lady to keep her opinions (as that's what they are-blindly following the rest of the sheep) to herself.

XX
Vad

214red

if you sat reading the qu'ran or the bible nothing would be said, but cards are wrong??? hypocrisy

Kenny

For a while I would keep quiet and at some point in the future start doing readings again.

If you want to be a real pain then learn a tarot game and teach someone else. Then during break play tarot...

Kenny

HearthCricket

This is sad to hear. I despise such ignorance still survives in the world over so many issues. Around here you pull out a deck and everyone becomes interested and wants a reading. Move to New England! In the workplace, I get that one can't have you setting cards out for readings. I had classical art postcards neatly taped to my cubicle, while working, and while most of the VP's liked it and often asked if I were an art student, one complained and after 3 years I had to take them down. They want you focused on work and only work. I had no window, at the time. This was my focal point for relaxing and problem working. If it hurt anyone, it hurt them the most.

As for the cards themselves. Keep things quiet for a while. During break eventually take out a marseille deck and start playing solitaire. No harm in that, right? Move on to doing small readings for yourself. And when the lady comes in and tells you tarot is evil, ask her why she is afraid of drawings on pieces of cardboard? And tell your boss the history of tarot, as we know it. Maybe someone will actually use their brain and have an open mind. Egads!

LightTraveller

HearthCricket said:
ask her why she is afraid of drawings on pieces of cardboard?

This is perhaps my favorite solution. A kind of jujitsu, as it were. Just turn the attack into your own defensive advantage. This person thinks you are the "weird" one, but you just look at here like she's from Mars and ask, "What, are you crazy???" It's a beautiful thing. :D (ETA: Maybe even better to ask, incredulously, "Are you superstitious or something???")

I don't know that you would need to take a survey, though, since it seems you already know the feelings of most of your co-workers. They love it, and beg you to read for them. Your knee-jerk detractor is clearly the odd one out, here, and I'm guessing everyone else knows it as well.