How much time do you spend with your cards?

Cactus

Sometimes I find that I just don't have enough time in the day to devote to tarot, even though I have many free hours every day!

I think when I'm reading stuff here it seems as if everyone else spends so much time with their decks and I forget that there is actually real life for everyone outside of this forum - I'm not the only one!

I read for myself and also for friends (but these certain friends don't live close by, so I do it for them over the internet.)

Also, I get a few clairvoyant hits, too, and I've been known to do a reading to get more info on those images I got. For the most part, it's for myself. And I've got 2 kids running around (well, one is in kindergarten all day).

So what amount of time does everyone give to their tarot reading, whether it's for others or for themselves? How many of you are professional? How many of you read for friends and family only? Or for themselves only? Do you have any daily routines or set times for tarot?

Manda

I have a gaggle of kids (a gaggle is three, in my world), I work and go to school, and write, so I sure understand about being pressed for time!

I spend about 20-30 minutes every morning with a daily draw card, and another 20-30 minutes at night with the same card. That is sacred time for me, and I find it to be a high priority.

I read for anyone who asks me to, which is mostly friends, but it has to be on my time, and does not always happen as quickly as they might like. That's the deal. I have to be very strict with my time or I will lose it. I usually let them choose the deck for their own reading, but for my personal use I only read with one or two. The rest of my beauties are for future use.

I find myself thinking a lot in terms of tarot. For example, one of my bosses is on a power/ego trip at the moment and I said in my head, "His Emperor is so reversed right now it isn't even funny." which makes sense to me but I suppose it might not to everyone.

I often dream in visions of the cards, and the rare occasion I am all caught up on homework, reading, and housework, I can be found mindlessly shuffling one of the decks that don't get a lot of daily attention from me.

Grizabella

I spend quite a lot of time on AT. I leave the page open when I'm doing other things, though, so if I seem to be here, I might not actually be in front of the computer. I do my bead and buckskin work a lot of that time, or housework. (Housework is last on the list sometimes. :p ) But that doesn't mean time with my cards.

My morning routine is to have some coffee and shuffle while I'm reading posts, and then I do a spread or two. I haven't been reading for other people much at all in real life. I do go to the Your Readings forum and post there sometimes if I've got some intelligent input to give.

Sometimes before I go to bed I have the intention of doing a reading or two but usually that fizzles because I'm too tired.

thorhammer

Not enough time with Tarot :D the more the better!

AT time, for me, mostly does not constitute Tarot time :D coz I'm too busy checking and answering posts and PMs! And coz my internet at home is slow, it's hard to minimise time on AT :|

When I have time to sit quietly and lay out cards, journal with them or read companion material or related material - that's Tarot time to me. I hope that when I move in with my bf soon there will be less time spent behind the wheel of a car and much more spent behind a spread :)

\m/ Kat

Purrfect

I use my tarot deck once a week for an hour. Then I reflect on the card throughout the week. Usually 20 minutes.
I research other things. Symbols, reviews of the deck and other's opinions of the cards.
Professional reader? No, I havent even thought about it.

Feretian

thorhammer said:
I hope that when I move in with my bf soon there will be less time spent behind the wheel of a car and much more spent behind a spread :)

\m/ Kat

Oh, good! That sounds like a bit of brightness coming for you...(I've been following your workplace nonsense)

I read for friends once or twice in a week, during my lunch hour.

And I do a general three card spread for myself daily. No question, just reflection on what they show me.

If I have some undisturbed time, I do "practice" readings...I create a hypothetical person and a question, then read the cards.

thorhammer

Feretian said:
Oh, good! That sounds like a bit of brightness coming for you...(I've been following your workplace nonsense)
:grin: thanks . . . more time with him, more peace for Tarot - it all works out.

In theory ;)

\m/ Kat

Le Fanu

I spend less time than I always think I would like to...

I work afternoon/night and find that between lunch and going to work, I get quiet moments and a sit down with my cards, a cup of coffee and the chance to do a daily draw and actually look properly at the card and think about what it might mean for the day. This is the most "quality time" I get with the cards really. Mornings are taken up with various errands.

To and from work I sometimes read a tarot book. For example Im currently reading Snuffin on Thoth and Ive got "Wicked Pack of Cards" lined up to read next. So this is - indirectly - being with the cards I suppose. I also read other things not related to tarot, which I think is important too.

Then at night, sitting up in bed I like to look at the cards close up; at the moment it is Thoth. This is my chance to really get to know the cards.

I always wish I had more time to set aside - on a daily basis - and go through all my decks and really spend "quality time" with them. When my partner travels or I have a few days off work, I always think I´ll just sit and go through my decks for hours, but then friends call, or we go out to a café, or an invitation comes up to do something else; like dinner and maybe the chance to do a reading for a friend. That´s how it should be I suppose; interaction, life, social contact etc. Ive discovered that my time spent with tarot is better in short, intense bursts rather than hours spent alone morbidly poring over my decks! :D

OrbWeaver

I haven't spent any ammount of time with my cards since X-mas, I think. Which is a shame because I really need to. I might do a daily draw for one month and journal about it. I did this once for a tarot livejournal community and had a great time. And I got to know some of my cards better by doing it.

Cactus

Yep - from being here on AT and reading, it seems as if we have more time than we really do.

I'd love to spend hours alone morbidly pouring over my decks!