do you need to be psychic to read tarot?

214red

intuition and psychic are the same thing, intuition doesnt scare people as much as the word psychic, but they are the same thing.
I really cant see how you can not be psychic/intuitive and read tarot, if so you might as well give the querent a book and cards and send them on their way

lark

214red said:
intuition and psychic are the same thing, intuition doesnt scare people as much as the word psychic, but they are the same thing.
With all due respect I have to disagree with this 214red.
They are not the same at all...and in order to answer this question they should be defined.
To use intuition is to constantly access information from the world around you .
We all do this all the time...when a mom suddenly decides to check on the kids because somewhere in the back ground she is sensing it is just to quiet...she is using her intuition.
We all use intuition as card readers...we take in how our client looks...clothes they are wearing... what they say... how they act... body lauguage... and by using all of these signals we us our intuition as part of the reading along with standard card meanings.
This is one way to read cards and many do...so it is certainly possible to be a card reader and not be pychic.

But a psychic card reader has an added element of knowing...it is not based on gathering knowledge from the knowable suroundings and making an assessment ...it is based on a knowing outside of themselves...a flash I call it, that just comes in and has nothing to do with or connects it with the known information infront of them.
To have a pschic flash is to know your client's brother was buried in a red Cardinals tee-shirt.
To know that your client had a dog named Ike
To know that your client has a secret fishing spot in Alaska.
You just know, you see it and you say it, and you just know without a doubt....that is psychic reading.
And it's a very different animal from intuitive reading.

214red

lark said:
With all due respect I have to disagree with this 214red.
They are not the same at all...and in order to answer this question they should be defined.
To use intuition is to constantly access information from the world around you .
We all do this all the time...when a mom suddenly decides to check on the kids because somewhere in the back ground she is sensing it is just to quiet...she is using her intuition.
We all use intuition as card readers...we take in how our client looks...clothes they are wearing... what they say... how they act... body lauguage... and by using all of these signals we us our intuition as part of the reading along with standard card meanings.
This is one way to read cards and many do...so it is certainly possible to be a card reader and not be pychic.

But a psychic card reader has an added element of knowing...it is not based on gathering knowledge from the knowable suroundings and making an assessment ...it is based on a knowing outside of themselves...a flash I call it, that just comes in and has nothing to do with or connects it with the known information infront of them.
To have a pschic flash is to know your client's brother was buried in a red Cardinals tee-shirt.
To know that your client had a dog named Ike
To know that your client has a secret fishing spot in Alaska.
You just know, you see it and you say it, and you just know without a doubt....that is psychic reading.
And it's a very different animal from intuitive reading.
and i would have to disagree with you, intuition is not about information we have gathered in the past in rational thought, thats experience.

when your reading cards and you notice one thing more then another on a card and know whats element of its meaning it wants to show you, thats intuition/gut feeling/ feelings in your waters. if you can feel when to stop shuffling your cards, or which cards to pick, thats being psychic.

there are loads of meanings for each card, you cant read that if your not pyschic thats a cold reading which is not what i think the majority of the people do here.
if you look at a tarot card and you notice the rabbit in the queen of pents card more then anything else and realise thats the focus of the reading is psychic ability.
if you sense something that can be that your taking information from you environment, all your senses and knowledge. but you can read without having no psychic skill at all.

if your reading online and someone asks you a general question and you know nothing about them, and you find out that specifics are correct ...thats psychic, thats not cold reading

I do beleive everyone is psychic , the level varies but everyone can access that and use it in their life, many do and dont know it...they call it intuition

w0ndrfulelectr1c

OT

Without turning this into a heated argument I would love for someone to post the definitions of both "psychic" and "intuitive"

I would but I'm on my blackberry driving home from work.

lark

I'm not trying to start an argument either...just to help people understand there is a difference.
Intuition is to know something without conscious reasoning.
As I was trying to explain...we all gather in this knowledge...and then we use it as intuition...but if we had to we could trace it back to known events and knowledge we have gathered in.
But intuition comes together boom in an instant, it is a super fast computerized brain thing that puts all info together and then comes out as a logical conclusion.
Card symbols, colors ect. help trigger this.

Psychic is to know something outside of the sphere of physical science.
This is to know something outside of the boundries of our own knowledge...to know something we have never been exposed to or could possibly know by any other means.

Intuition is explainable and trace-able...psychic is not.

w0ndrfulelectr1c

So back on topic. No. You do not need to be psychic or intuitively gifted in order to use or read tarot cards. But it definitely helps. And reading the cards also seems to help your intuition/psychic ability to flourish.

Logiatrix

w0ndrfulelectr1c said:
So back on topic. No. You do not need to be psychic or intuitively gifted in order to use or read tarot cards. But it definitely helps. And reading the cards also seems to help your intuition/psychic ability to flourish.
Yeah. What he said.:D

Sinduction

The two are the same for me as well. Noticing people's body language is not intuition, that is relying on the sense of sight and is also part of human behavior. Up to 90% of communication is non-verbal, there's nothing psychic or intuitive about that. It is simply learned behavior. Even in the pediatrician's office you see the poster of different faces reflecting different emotions. We are taught from an early age to read body language, whether we are conscious of it or not. Animals do it too. Are they all psychic?

Intuition/psychicness is the knowing of things that you would otherwise not know. How do I know who's calling before my phone rings? You don't need to believe you are psychic to read tarot. I believe tarot helps you flex those psychic "muscles" and aids in further developing your psychicness. Is that even a word?

I also believe that we are all psychic in some way and can further develop it. I also believe some people are more aware of their psychicness than others. Most people are not aware or choose to not be aware. You don't need to be "special" to tap into your intuition. Pretty much everyone has had at least one experience where they made a choice based not on solid knowledge simply because they listened to their gut.

That is what tarot is all about. You are looking for knowledge that you don't possess. All the books in the world won't help you with it as there are hundreds of interpretations of any given card. How do explain your choosing of the right one? Is it intuition, psychic phenomena, luck? Does it really matter?

SunChariot

To me, the difference between being intuitive and psychic, is if you are doing a reading on where someone lost their ring for example....just your intuition might tell yuo that they left it by the kitchen sink when they were washing the dishes, you might sense that that is what happened. Someone who is psychic however might visually see the querent there by the sink as she took of the ring and left it there. They could "see" the person there, or hear their voice, they coudl tell yuo what the person was wearing, what style their hair was in, ....as thought they were watching a movie of it. Or they might hear what the person said as they took the ring off adn could tell you word for word, as though they had just heard a tape of it.
I suppose it is the same skill in essense, but a matter of degree.

According to that definiation anyway, I can be quite intuitive with my cards, but I have never been psychic. And according to that definition you don't have to be psychic to be a good reader, adn reading does develop your intuition, which we all have already in us.

Babs

tigerlily

Intuition:

"The immediate apprehension of an object by the mind without the intervention of any reasoning process"
Oxford English Dictionary

“Intuition is a combination of historical (empirical) data, deep and heightened observation and an ability to cut through the thickness of surface reality. Intuition is like a slow motion machine that captures data instantaneously and hits you like a ton of bricks. Intuition is a knowing, a sensing that is beyond the conscious understanding — a gut feeling. Intuition is not pseudo-science.” Abella Arthur

Psychic:

The word psychic refers to a claimed ability to perceive information hidden from the normal senses through what is described as extrasensory perception, or to those people said to have such abilities. (...)It has also been used to describe the belief of the ability of the mind to influence the world physically and telekinetic powers some claim to demonstrate, such as Uri Geller.(...)The scientific community has rejected all claims of psychic phenomena (...)."
Wikipedia