Eligibilty To Be A Tarot Reader

nisaba

NamasteIndia said:
1) Person should be spiritual not necessarily religious but firm believer in God, Universal consciousness
Erm, two of the best readers (and loveliest people) I know are atheists. A total lack of belief in any form of God does not stop Tarot working, and does not stop a good person from being good. In fact, it makes them *more* good: they['re just nice because that's the way they are, not because they're afraid of any divine rejection or looking for divine reward later.

NamasteIndia said:
3) He/she should not be greedy for the money part the desire to help, heal, guide should be the priority.
You have taken two polar opposites here, as if there isn't a whole world in between, and I think BOTH options you have laid out are unhealthy. Yes, naked greed is a problem - it makes those you feed it from suffer. But at the same time, particularly with Tarot, a compulsive need to serve does two things: it turns you into a martyr, and it often is linked to a desperate need for recognition and acknowledgement as a "good person", which can indicate a low or poor self-esteem if you are so anxious for others to acknowledge you. When you are more in balance there is a third position: accepting the money in the same way an accountant who loves numbers or an architect who loves design might: as a fitting reward for training, experience and attention to the job at hand does. After all, at the end of the day it is a job and we deserve to have teh opportunity to earn a living if we are good at wehat we do, just like anyone else who is good at something else.

NamasteIndia said:
4) He/she should not having any vices or addiction.
Well, doesn't that rule out just about any of us? Who among us doesn't drink, smoke, eat when we know we shouldn't, sleep in when we know we shouldn't, avoid ecercise, over-exercise, argue, be abusive, accept abuse from others, go to the same places at the same times, have any kinds of habits or routines, like sex, like to not have sex, brag, be self-deprecating, be self-pitying, be self-aggrandising ... or any other vice or addiction?

I know many, many people.

I do not know a single one who is free from vice and addiction or one sort or another, harmful or supposedly "harmless".

A wise person is not God (whom you would have to be if you were free of vice and addiction) - a wise person knows themselves for who they truly are, and minimises any harm they cause whilst maximising any good they cause. Anyone who says they are better than that is either god-in-a-body, or lying.

Marcia959

Thank you, Nisaba, for acknowledging the "vice-ful" among us! I think the fact that I have an excess of cats, dustbunnies, tarot decks, needlework supplies, books and, ye gods, perhaps even optimism cannot preclude me from giving a heart-felt, insightful reading worth the money I charge. Maybe other things can, but not those cherished vices of mine. Nevertheless, I am still one of those baby-boomers who would like fairness, honesty, kindness and love in the world. But I also understand that it takes all of us, whatever we are. Different gifts, different gifts.

rabid

Nisaba, you always word things so perfectly!

SunChariot

NamasteInida said:
Hello,

I always wonder what is the eligibility to be a tarot card reader.

I have come across many people who are unethical, egoistic, shrewd and they practice tarot.

There is a feeling that any person who guides others and is responsible for giving divine guidance should themself be a ethical and right person.

Some criteria which I feel are
1) Person should be spiritual not necessarily religious but firm believer in God, Universal consciousness

2) Should be kind, compassionate, good listener and knowledgeable.

3) He/she should not be greedy for the money part the desire to help, heal, guide should be the priority.

4) He/she should not having any vices or addiction.

There should some kind of elegibility to be parents too sometimes, but there isn't in either. They are also in charge of guiding others and some people should have never been.I know some who REALLY messed up their kids. (sigh)

But let me see, what does a Tarot reader need, or should have, imo...

1)I think they need to be open-minded. The exact right path for someone might be one that would be wrong for them. You can't expect everyone's path to be the same as yours.

2) It's important, imo, not to be judgmental. You'll likely in time see people do all kinds of things you yourself wouldn't do but it's right for them. To each his own...

3) I think it's important to know how to give news, if it may not be what the querent wants to hear, in a way that does not sadden them or scare them. We need to find a way to be empowering. They shuold feel they are in control and can fix what is not just as they like. We have to tell bad news sometimes, but to me it needs to be given in the least harmful way possible. Non sugar-coating, but pointing out all options and hope.

4)Yes a selflessness and generosity helps. During a reading, it's about the querent and helping them, not about us.

5) a sense of connection, on the part of the reader, to the planet and everyone on it, can only help...

6) a true and sincere desire to help others

That's all I can think of at the moment. I don't know about addictions though. I know people who are addicted to cigarettes and are not willing to stop, but I don't think it would hurt their reading. I myself have a real food addiction. I eat when stressed and I can't stop at those times. It's is the same to me like someone who smokes of drinks when stressed. But I don't do it constantly of course and my eating has no affect on my ability as a reader....(just wanted to say that) :grin:

Barbara

NamasteIndia

when i read tarot i read it with compassion more like a counsellor i guide people and also listen to what pain they are experiencing also i provide spiritual solutions with regard to law of karma.

i avoid doing predictive readings because it gives me tension....

if only a person believes and accepts that world is a illusion, what we see is not real its maya only truth and God is real just like the movie Matrix i think the problems are solved.

Neo did not realise it until the oracle told him.

MysticalMoose

nisaba said:
Erm, two of the best readers (and loveliest people) I know are atheists. A total lack of belief in any form of God does not stop Tarot working, and does not stop a good person from being good. In fact, it makes them *more* good: they['re just nice because that's the way they are, not because they're afraid of any divine rejection or looking for divine reward later.

You have taken two polar opposites here, as if there isn't a whole world in between, and I think BOTH options you have laid out are unhealthy. Yes, naked greed is a problem - it makes those you feed it from suffer. But at the same time, particularly with Tarot, a compulsive need to serve does two things: it turns you into a martyr, and it often is linked to a desperate need for recognition and acknowledgement as a "good person", which can indicate a low or poor self-esteem if you are so anxious for others to acknowledge you. When you are more in balance there is a third position: accepting the money in the same way an accountant who loves numbers or an architect who loves design might: as a fitting reward for training, experience and attention to the job at hand does. After all, at the end of the day it is a job and we deserve to have teh opportunity to earn a living if we are good at wehat we do, just like anyone else who is good at something else.

Well, doesn't that rule out just about any of us? Who among us doesn't drink, smoke, eat when we know we shouldn't, sleep in when we know we shouldn't, avoid ecercise, over-exercise, argue, be abusive, accept abuse from others, go to the same places at the same times, have any kinds of habits or routines, like sex, like to not have sex, brag, be self-deprecating, be self-pitying, be self-aggrandising ... or any other vice or addiction?

I know many, many people.

I do not know a single one who is free from vice and addiction or one sort or another, harmful or supposedly "harmless".

A wise person is not God (whom you would have to be if you were free of vice and addiction) - a wise person knows themselves for who they truly are, and minimises any harm they cause whilst maximising any good they cause. Anyone who says they are better than that is either god-in-a-body, or lying.

Nisaba said it perfectly..

gregory

MysticalMoose said:
Nisaba said it perfectly..
Indeed she did; and I would mix in Aerin and Olivia.

I read.

I do NOT believe in God, and I have loads of vices. Maybe even addictions (see profile :|)

I don't charge. But to make a living from reading - you'd have to. And money would have to be a concern. You'd be no good as a reader if you were half starved.

I have no idea whether I am kind and compassionate today. I wasn't yesterday; I might be tomorrow.... ;)

But NamasteInida - your description of yourself scares me. Having read it, I wouldn't come to you for a reading, I have to say; you remind me of someone I once knew of whom it was once said "I never know what to say to E---; she is such a GOOD person."

NamasteIndia

In India there is a tradition of guru-shishya (teacher-disciple)

whenever any scriptures or divination is taught to the student he/she is also taught ethics and good values.

when a student wants to learn astrology he/she would visit a ashram the guru will grill the student why he wants to learn, will he make best use of the knowledge, will he help people, is he capable of learning everything he is inspected the horoscope of the disciple is cross checked for his/her nature, behaviour or character.

then if the guru finds him eligible he is taken in.

Just like Jesus said in Bible never give the pearls to the swine similarly never teach any divination to the wrong person they will misuse it. As far as the person does not misuse it or harms anyone with it the other criteria or eligibility for being a reader is disruled.

As mentioned earlier i have come across many con tarot readers and they are treacherous and dangerous to the society. Personally i would cross check all students who want to learn tarot before taking them in...

Hawthorne

NamasteIndia said:
well im a vegetarian from last 16 years. im teetotaler no cigarrates, no alcohol,no other form of addictions neither food nor chocolates i fast once a week to control my mind. I believe we should eat to live and not live to eat.

im spiritual i pray, meditate, practice inner reflection and also i chant.

i always pay attention to what i speak, with whom, i never cheat, i never abuse, i never backstab, i try best to control my temper and rarely raise a voice.

when i read tarot i read it with compassion more like a counsellor i guide people and also listen to what pain they are experiencing also i provide spiritual solutions with regard to law of karma.

overall i noticed that peoples life are screwed up bcos of their own misdoings, extra martial affairs, lending and borrowing money, lust, greed, polygamy, ego majority of the time problem is self created.

if only a person believes and accepts that world is a illusion, what we see is not real its maya only truth and God is real just like the movie Matrix i think the problems are solved.

well honestly speaking im no one to decide what should be the eligibility to be a tarot card reader or which tarot card reader one should or should not visit.

Its a really tough question

Well this is YOUR own path, but you can't impose this on everyone else. Many of us wouldn't want it anyway!

The best reader I know is a Witch, she believes in several Gods/Goddesses. She smokes, she's fond of fish and chips to a degree that I'd describe as addiction, and she likes several glasses of wine on a Friday night.

She reads Tarot for her living. She has a great gift with the cards and she uses that gift to keep a roof over her head. Just as the rest of us all have unique talents and abilities that we bring to our professional lives.

She's had many many of the 'misdoings' to which you refer. She has not led a mythical perfect life. And you know what? That, IMO makes her a BETTER reader because she's had those life experiences.

Ange

NamasteIndia said:
well im a vegetarian from last 16 years. im teetotaler no cigarrates, no alcohol,no other form of addictions neither food nor chocolates i fast once a week to control my mind. I believe we should eat to live and not live to eat.

im spiritual i pray, meditate, practice inner reflection and also i chant.

i always pay attention to what i speak, with whom, i never cheat, i never abuse, i never backstab, i try best to control my temper and rarely raise a voice.

overall i noticed that peoples life are screwed up bcos of their own misdoings, extra martial affairs, lending and borrowing money, lust, greed, polygamy, ego majority of the time problem is self created.

well honestly speaking im no one to decide what should be the eligibility to be a tarot card reader or which tarot card reader one should or should not visit.

Its a really tough question

A lot is said here that is true. How many of us would, if we were to be honest, would aspire to have at least a few of these qualities?

And troubles can very often be of ones own making...how many have been nasty about someone only to have it returned to them 3 fold....

I personnaly would find NamasteIndia a very calming person to spend time with...:)

I don't think that being psychic or not matters.....I think it's the willingness to help, a knowledge of the cards too....cos a lot of us saw Eastenders...Mo trying to read the cards eh.....but most of all....just plain old fashioned common sense....:):)

Ang x