Creepy Decks

Amary

I have, and love, the Bohemian Gothic. I am generally not attracted to dark or creepy things, but this deck called me. I get great, balanced readings with it- not just the shadow side, but both sides. I really love it. It also has a fabulous sense of humor. :)

I have the Deviant Moon, as well, but I never use it.

SarahRacheal

I found the BG really creepy; I think it was the pages and the images of children that eventually forced me to find it a new home.
As for the Vertigo I have the 1st edition and utterly love it to bits. Dave McKean is one of my favourite new media artists and I feel that the deck has a dark sense of humour.

Sarah

pasara

Not to belabor things, but please tell me -- how are SITTERS affected by the use of these types of decks?

lizziecat

I much prefer creepy decks, or dark decks - love 'em!

Fluffy, happy, cartoony, fairies, elves, anime, silly stuff - if you think about it, those are truly creepy decks as they trivialize what Tarot is about - gives me the willies! :D

Curtis Penfold

lizziecat said:
I much prefer creepy decks, or dark decks - love 'em!

Fluffy, happy, cartoony, fairies, elves, anime, silly stuff - if you think about it, those are truly creepy decks as they trivialize what Tarot is about - gives me the willies! :D

Like the Gummy Bear Deck LOL

Creepy...

Golden Moon

Curtis Penfold said:
Like the Gummy Bear Deck LOL

Creepy...

LOL tell me about it...

Sulis

pasara said:
Not to belabor things, but please tell me -- how are SITTERS affected by the use of these types of decks?
I think it depends on the sitter: A group of gothy teenagers would probably love to have a reading with The Gothic Tarot of The Vampires, The Bohemian Gothic or The Deviant Moon Tarot whereas a group of your grannies friends would prefer something a little less dark.
I think most readers (if they offer a choice of decks), would tailor the decks they bring to the clients.
I think most readers would agree that dark decks aren't for everyone.

Sinduction

It depends on who you're reading for.

For example, and I've said this before, I read at a goth club. I cannot bring the fluffy bunny decks. As with any business, you need to know who your client is and cater to them.

The darkest deck I own, and I think it is the darkest one I have ever seen, is the Giger. It is that creepy and messed up in a mental ward kind of way. As in, when I look at it I get so freaked out that I want to commit myself because the deck gets that far into my mind. The Vertigo gets my vote for second. I saw a card that was just the figure of a torso and that was it, knocked that deck right off my wishlist!

I'm more into the psychological thrills, not gore.

Some people are drawn to different things. I don't think it is any more strange that some people prefer dark decks while other people prefer fluffy decks. Personal preference. :D

Lilija

Life would be boring if it were all joy faeries and unicorns farting rainbows. Life would be dull, too if it were all gore and darkness. It's nice to have a balance in the Universe, no? What would light be, without shadows to set it apart?

Curtis Penfold

Lilija said:
Life would be boring if it were all joy faeries and unicorns farting rainbows. Life would be dull, too if it were all gore and darkness. It's nice to have a balance in the Universe, no? What would light be, without shadows to set it apart?

More than that, life wouldn't be real if we didn't acknowledge both the good and the bad.