Who here considers themselves a beginner / learner ?

CathS

I'm both a learner and a beginner. I started reading just a year ago, and got seriously interested maybe 6 months ago.

Initially, I started with a Celtic Cross spread every morning. I wrote the cards down in my notebook and did little else with it. Now I do a 3 card draw and a 'card of the day' every morning, and instead of just writing down the cards drawn, I write a description, initial impressions, LWB readings - whatever my brain can cope with on that day. In addition to the notebook, I've also started a blog for my PDR, where I plan to share major readings, musings, etc.

The other thing I do is join in the Reading Circles to read for others and to get feedback on that. That has been hugely valuable to me, because it allows me to look objectively at a reading and see how my interpretation of the cards is right/wrong, without any personal situation or bias getting in the way. Sometimes when I read for myself it's too easy to read what I want to see, not what I actually see - reading for others takes that away.

I'm always happy to bounce ideas around with others. :)

yukinkoicy

Beginner here!! I'm just doing what feels right, and makes sense. Follows my own common sense. The first thing I did though, is join IDS, and cleared off a blog I don't use - and started using it for my journal for my IDS, and for random other tarot-related things.

:)
*clarification* I may have been here a year but I am just now beginning to read again - out of that year I made three posts, and kind of forgot about it, and stopped reading after a few months due to circumstances. So, total newb here at the moment. :D

BlueDragonfly

*raises hand* Very much a beginner here, and of course a learner for the rest of my life. I used the term novice in my profile and I think that title will remain for some time to come. But that's okay with me.

When I began, I had no idea how to really go about the study other than trying to memorize the 'book definitions'. Yes, books talked about looking at the card, letting the images speak to you and using your intution, but I didn't really have a grasp of the basic structures, so the whole process was extremely frustrating.

Joining AT and participating in the forums has proved to be the most valuable learning tool of all for me. Without it, I'd probably still be trying to memorize those ' book definitions'! :)

MsRubyRain

I am a beginner. I picked up a tarot deck over a year ago. I can't say I know all the book meanings. I can give a intuative reading, although I haven't had the time to put into honing any sort of skill. I feel very inept still.

yirabeth

Rank beginner here, and absolutely thrilled that all the learners here that have been learning for decades put up with me! I'm learning fast thanks to that :)

For my study path, I've joined an IDS, so I can concentrate on learning to read ONE way before I then branch out to...whatever strikes my fancy :) I do the 78 Weeks study here, and to facilitate THAT aspect of it, I'm going to work through M. Greer's 21 Ways on each card for each week as soon as I get my blank deck in. (Don't worry, I won't try to sell it, an artist I am not! haha!)

For me, hands on seems to be the best way to soak up knowledge -- reading books over and over just makes me bleary eyed (This could be because I'm a student, also, and just plain tired of text books!) So, I have joined several exchange circles -- the IDS, CoS, and Newbie exchanges. On days I'm not doing a circle reading, I post to the exchange forum for someone willing to let me practice on them, or I do one for me, my son, my daughter in law, or my boyfriend. Sometimes I get readings wrong (often actually, even if just by degrees) but, I'm learning, everyone I read for knows it, and everyone I read for is very understanding :) (I still haven't gotten brave enough to admit I read to others than those here, and the people listed above.)

I think the best way to keep learning is to make it a daily part of life..as I'm sure you can tell by my method above :)

~Yira

jcwirish

I am still a beginner too. I am working with the 78 week study group, and reading all the time. I am trying my hand at intuitive readings now, but part of me still needs the comfort of the books nearby. Right now, I am just relishing the learning process. At first I felt rushed to 'get it' as soon as I could, but now I realize that I'll be studying tarot for years, and that it is the process that I enjoy the most. As I learn more about the tarot, I learn heaps more about myself. This is a process I know I'll never be finished with. I am reading Rachel Pollack's, Tarot Wisdom right now, and I find it to be a great read.

2_Journey

I've been studying tarot off and on for a decade now, but I still sometimes think of myself as a beginner. I had a realization recently while flipping through one of my favorite decks, the MRP Fairytale, which was humbling and strangely touching at the same time. I realized that, no matter how much I learn, there will always be more to learn.

Two years ago, I would have said that I was done learning the tarot. But the people on this forum and my own experience with the cards has pushed me into directions I never would have expected. I think in some ways I will always be a beginner. And I'm very okay with that. :)

GadgetGirl

Well I am a real beginner! I got my Tarot deck last week. And I've just finished writing the meanings in my Journal as per the instructions in the "Easy Tarot Handbook" and I'm now about to start the next phase. Still feeling like I'm floundering and somewhat overwhelmed at the moment but I know that this will pass. So I'm a total newbie.

iceclone

I'm a beginner too. Just started last September 2009.

Yvresse

Me! Me! <waves>

I'm an on/off sorta person; I've been learning Tarot "properly" for about a year now, but I'm usually too tired most days to really concentrate properly on the cards. But when I do get the urge to study seriously, I do (and if I get the feeling that if could have controlled these on/off periods better, university would have been all that much more enjoyable)!

I do my best to keep a journal, and I'm doing an IDS right now so that instead of simply reaching out to ideas are, to me, new, I can "ground" them and finally get to know a deck better. I've tried setting a routine, and keeping a structured learning system, but that just hasn't worked out. I pick things up better when I suddenly feel like I need to learn it. Strange, huh?

Hands on learning is working really well for me right now---partly because it lets me know what really works for me in a deck and what doesn't, which hopefully makes my future purchases somewhat wiser :p