Organizing Question

Sinduction

Mine are by size, since they are in custom-fit bags. Bigger ones first then minis and lenormand at the end. :D

AJ

all the big box decks are alphabetically, With a separate shelf for oracles.
deck only boxes start in a drawer separated by whether I've used them on my blog yet or not.

Once I've used them on my blog, sometimes they go straight to the trade box, otherwise they take their rightful place in drawer or shelf.

My selection isn't so big that I can't find what I'm looking for fairly instantly.

I keep my tarot amount capped at about 80 decks, no cap on the Oracles, there just aren't that many good ones to worry about a cap.

emmsma

I have a small bookshelf where the lenormand, gypsy oracle and mini decks live. Then I have 3 stacked crates, with a basket on top.

The basket holds the oracles. Top crate has a double row of miscellaneous decks, the front row holds the LS decks. The second crate has all the Marseille decks and the Meneghellos.

Third crate has boxes and books.

nisaba

I have a number of sub-collections. Some of them are:

- a collection of decks by or styled on well-known artists;
- decks with gilded images or edges;
- Australian decks;
- mini-decks,
- a collection of Visconti-variants;
- decks with the worst cardbacks in the world (proudly headed by the Blue Moon, the Mind-body-Spirit version of the 1JJ and the Cary-Yale Visconti;
- signed and numbered limited editions;
- erotic decks
- and a number of decks with creative input from Luigi Scapini.

Now, looking at my collection of sub-collections (which is itself a meta-sub-collection), it is patently obvious that I have a few decks that belong in two or even more of these collections.

What's a girl to do?

Do I buy extra copies of all such decks, so that I can place them in all the sub-collections they belong to? (Chance would be a fine thing, as would the budget).

Or do I just throw all 71 of them into the same enormous wicker basket, and keep the knowledge of the sub-collections they belong to as a secret, shining jewel buried deep in the folds of my cortex?

Yup, obvious, really <grin>. Any organisation there is in my collection, is treasured and kept tucked away in my mind.

Apparently, people with regular use of cumin in their diets have lower-than-average rates of dementia ... <heads for kitchen, and one of her favourite spices>.

Stormdancer

OMG :bugeyed:

I am SO out of my league here.

My decks are stored according to which ones I think I may actually learn from....read with first....which of course changes, but not really too much. ( also here are decks that I just LOVE to touch/gaze upon) I keep the "for further learning and exploring" separate. And then there is the "Trade" area...

irisa

Organisation is a totally alien concept to me :) I've found if I try to organise anything I obssess over it, overthink it and then am never truly happy with the results anyway.

So mine are where they are and free to go where they will.

irisa :)

Debra

Anything more than one needs organizing :p

When I moved cross-country last month, I packed all the decks and put some in plastic index card holders to protect them even more. When I arrived here, I just crammed everything into my tarot cabinet.

Inspired by this thread, I have pulled them all out in order to sort, label and arrange.

I'm bored already, and they're all over the place.

:rolleyes:

Dusk Till Dawn

Actually, I enjoyed sorting mine. Took me hours, because I kept looking at Decks I nearly had forgotten, or not seen in a while.
I can't Imagine sorting through Greggors' collection. LOL.
Might take months to do so.

WolfyJames

I keep my favorites in baskets in my place and the rest in a big box in the closet, but now the big box is full. I dream one day to have a pretty bookshelf with glass doors to keep them in and yet show them at the same time. Alas I lack space and money. Not only I don't know where to put my books anymore, I don't know where to put my decks anymore too.

gregory

Seeker*13* said:
Actually, I enjoyed sorting mine. Took me hours, because I kept looking at Decks I nearly had forgotten, or not seen in a while.
I can't Imagine sorting through Greggors' collection. LOL.
Might take months to do so.
It takes 2 days start to finish - I know this from the recent time I moved it all - the database helps ! But I don't have to do it these days. They are all in their places ! (well except for the lot whose drawer collapsed under the weight; they are in a neat pile till SO buys the necessary whatever it is he says he needs (my eyes glazed over...) to fix the drawer. I can do SOME DIY - but this needs an expert !)