Torn between using the tarot cards and Religion

canid

Here's a list I usually carry in my purse for those Bible-thumpers who, erm, haven't actually read the Bible. My favorite is Proverbs 16:33.

Genesis 44:4-5 4 - When they had gone out of the city, and were not yet far off, Joseph said to his steward, “Get up, follow the men; and when you overtake them, say to them, ‘Why have you repaid evil for good? 5 Is not this the one from which my lord drinks, and with which he indeed practices divination? You have done evil in so doing.’”
44-15: (On being brought to Joseph, who says: Joseph said to them, "What deed is this that you have done ? Do you not know that such a man as I can indeed divine?
Exodus 28:30 - And you shall put in the breastplate of judgment the Urim and the Thummim, and they shall be over Aaron’s heart when he goes in before the Lord. So Aaron shall bear the judgment of the children of Israel over his heart before the Lord continually.
Leviticus 16:8 – 10 8 - Then Aaron shall cast lots for the two goats: one lot for the Lord and the other lot for the scapegoat. 9 And Aaron shall bring the goat on which the Lord’s lot fell, and offer it as a sin offering. 10 But the goat on which the lot fell to be the scapegoat shall be presented alive before the Lord, to make atonement upon it, and to let it go as the scapegoat into the wilderness.
Numbers 26:55 - But the land shall be divided by lot; they shall inherit according to the names of the tribes of their fathers.
Numbers 26:56 - According to the lot their inheritance shall be divided between the larger and the smaller.”
Numbers 27:21 - He shall stand before Eleazar the priest, who shall inquire before the Lord for him by the judgment of the Urim. At his word they shall go out, and at his word they shall come in, he and all the children of Israel with him --all the congregation.
Deuteronomy 33:8 - And of Levi he said: “Let Your Thummim and Your Urim be with Your holy one, Whom You tested at Massah, And with whom You contended at the waters of Meribah.”
Joshua 14:2 - Their inheritance was by lot, as the Lord had commanded by the hand of Moses, for the nine tribes and the half-tribe.
Joshua 18:6 - You shall therefore survey the land in seven parts and bring the survey here to me, that I may cast lots for you here before the Lord our God.
Joshua 18:8 - Then the men arose to go away; and Joshua charged those who went to survey the land, saying, “Go, walk through the land, survey it, and come back to me, that I may cast lots for you here before the Lord in Shiloh.”
Joshua 18:10 - Then Joshua cast lots for them in Shiloh before the Lord, and there Joshua divided the land to the children of Israel according to their divisions.
Judges 6:36-40 36 - So Gideon said to God, “If You will save Israel by my hand as You have said -- 37 look, I shall put a fleece of wool on the threshing floor; if there is dew on the fleece only, and it is dry on all the ground, then I shall know that You will save Israel by my hand, as You have said.” 38 And it was so. When he rose early the next morning and squeezed the fleece together, he wrung the dew out of the fleece, a bowlful of water. 39 Then Gideon said to God, “Do not be angry with me, but let me speak just once more: Let me test, I pray, just once more with the fleece; let it now be dry only on the fleece, but on all the ground let there be dew.” 40 And God did so that night. It was dry on the fleece only, but there was dew on all the ground.
1 Samuel 14:8-10 8 - Then Jonathan said, “Very well, let us cross over to these men, and we will show ourselves to them. 9 If they say thus to us, ‘Wait until we come to you,’ then we will stand still in our place and not go up to them. 10 But if they say thus, ‘Come up to us,’ then we will go up. For the Lord has delivered them into our hand, and this will be a sign to us.”
1 Samuel 14: 42 - And Saul said, “Cast lots between my son Jonathan and me.” So Jonathan was taken.
1 Chronicles 24:31 - These also cast lots just as their brothers the sons of Aaron did, in the presence of King David, Zadok, Ahimelech, and the heads of the fathers’ houses of the priests and Levites. The chief fathers did just as their younger brethren.
1 Chronicles 25:8 - And they cast lots for their duty, the small as well as the great, the teacher with the student.
1 Chronicles 26:13-14 – 13 And they cast lots for each gate, the small as well as the great, according to their father’s house. 14 The lot for the East Gate fell to Shelemiah. Then they cast lots for his son Zechariah, a wise counselor, and his lot came out for the North Gate.
Nehemiah 10:34 - We cast lots among the priests, the Levites, and the people, for bringing the wood offering into the house of our God, according to our fathers’ houses, at the appointed times year by year, to burn on the altar of the Lord our God as it is written in the Law.
Nehemiah 11:1 - Now the leaders of the people dwelt at Jerusalem; the rest of the people cast lots to bring one out of ten to dwell in Jerusalem, the holy city, and nine-tenths were to dwell in other cities.
Psalms 22:18 - They divide My garments among them, And for My clothing they cast lots.
Proverbs 16:33 - The lot is cast into the lap, But its every decision is from the Lord.
Proverbs 18:18 - Casting lots causes contentions to cease, And keeps the mighty apart.
Obadiah 1:11 - In the day that you stood on the other side -- In the day that strangers carried captive his forces, When foreigners entered his gates And cast lots for Jerusalem -- Even you were as one of them.
Jonah 1:7 - And they said to one another, “Come, let us cast lots, that we may know for whose cause this trouble has come upon us.” So they cast lots, and the lot fell on Jonah.
Matthew 27:35 - Then they crucified Him, and divided His garments, casting lots, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet: “They divided My garments among them, And for My clothing they cast lots.”
Mark 15:24 - And when they crucified Him, they divided His garments, casting lots for them to determine what every man should take.
Luke 23:34 - Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.” And they divided His garments and cast lots.
John 19:24 - They said therefore among themselves, “Let us not tear it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be,” that the Scripture might be fulfilled which says: “They divided My garments among them, And for My clothing they cast lots.” Therefore the soldiers did these things.
Acts 1:26 - And they cast their lots, and the lot fell on Matthias. And he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

Alta

I have pretty well decided that I just don't care.

However back when I did, and someone informed me that tarot was a portal to the devil, I calmly replied that I had discussed it with Jesus and he was okay with it.

Baroli

Ok, former Bible thumping Baptist here. I understand where you are coming from, oh hell yeah I do. What I am going to tell you, you can take it to heart or not. Your choice.

Your friends and family mean well. I mean sheesh, how many people do you know who want to help you take care of your soul? Not many, I guarantee. But here's the thing. When you have a bunch of people who are trying to sway you not to do something by telling you that what you prize most (your soul), is going straight to hell (you know, that very bad place that is the absence of God), well quite frankly they are using fear tactics on you. When a religion uses fear to control how you eat, think, believe etc., it just doesn't work. Think about it. Tarot by the way, will not send you to hell. Being a mass murderer, may,...just my 2 p.

PS: I love Alta's response. :p

Nevada

Really it's none of their business, is it? I mean every religious person interprets their religion in their own way. Do they break ANY of the commandments or rules spelled out in the Bible, even according to their interpretations? I'm not saying you should ask, but just figure out the answer for yourself. My husband finally broke off his friendship with someone he'd known forever because the guy was constantly moaning about how others weren't Christian or broke some Christian ideal of his. But he's no saint either, has never married but has cohabited with several women in his life, drank heavily, used drugs, etc.

Honestly, only a perfect person has any room to consider telling someone else how to live as a Christian, especially if no one asked.

I love the lists of Bible quotes, but I still wonder why they should even be necessary.

The only real question I think you need to ask is whether you're living up to your ideal interpretation of the term Christian - not someone else's.

As someone who spent too many years of my life working to please others, though not in any way having to do with religion, I can honestly say that I don't give a rat's a** who thinks anything I do is evil, wrong, or whatever. If anyone disagrees with my politics or spirituality, I just figure who asked them. I know I never have sought out their approval in those matters.

The only qualm I have is that of offending a few older very devout aunts that I love dearly and whom I would do anything to avoid upsetting because they're sweethearts. But they're also people who've never tried to tell me how to live or pushed their religions on me, so I imagine they don't mind all that much. I don't go out of my way to bring up the subject of Tarot though because I love them too much to risk upsetting them and figure what they don't know (that it's more than a passing intellectual interest, more of an obsession for me) won't hurt them.

Live your life for you and your relationship to Deity, not according to others' ideas of what that relationship should be.

chrissydogz

Alta said:

However back when I did, and someone informed me that tarot was a portal to the devil, I calmly replied that I had discussed it with Jesus and he was okay with it.
good call:) i believe Jesus would want us to communicate with him and the whole heavanly family by any means nessecary. and one of the ways i do that is through my readings.

Sinduction

LOL! I am so using the discussing it with Jesus! :D

I was just talking to a pastor about this today. I go to him for hypnothereapy and he is surprisingly open to my spiritual beliefs. I am not a Christian but I do know the bible and I think of Jesus as a role model. Anyway, we got into discussing how people that take every word literally, only choose certain passages.

If someone were quoting me, I'd ask them if they also plan on selling their daughters or some other random ridiculous passage. Like stoning your neighbors for some odd sin. I've actually had people say, "That isn't in the bible!" So now, I carry a little pocket one with me.

I like to make people think for themselves. In reality, it's only between you and God, that's all that matters.

MareSaturni

Alta said:

I have discussed that with Him and His Wife too, and both agreed that pieces of paper cannot be the portal to the devil. The human mind, on the other hand... :rolleyes:

greatdane

Hmmmm

This doesn't really come up with me, as even though I have all types of friends, I don't usually bring up things that would make them uncomfortable, whatever the topic (and they don't try to convert me, works well). I try to respect others beliefs, as I would ask them to respect mine. It is really about knowing and respecting what YOU feel, not what others feel.

IF someone, hypothetically, said something to me about ANY subject re what God wants, I would politely tell them that as they know God so well, to pass along my number and when God calls and tells me personally to do, or not do something, I'll be sure to listen. Works for really anything, not just tarot. Actually, I think I HAVE said this in the past....just don't think it was about tarot! :)

canid

Alta said:

We had that same conversation. As a matter of fact, I learned quite a few new things last night. Or to split hairs, they were revealed.