splitting or peeling cardstock?

canid

greatdane said:
So the paper or cardstock isn't really in layers? I know nothing re cardstock other than it feels kind of like cardboard. If it looks like layers are lifting off, it's not really layers in the cardstock? This is very educational as you could tell me magic elves make it and I wouldn't be able to dispute you LOL.

No, it's not in layers. Unless it's very low quality paper stock. Which shouldn't be the case, given the prices of a deck. The differences in prices on paper are negligible, really, so purchasing a low-grade paper after you've already spent a *set* ton of money with scans, artists, layout, stripping, press time, etc. is just silly. IMO. There's already so much invested why not use a quality paper?

greatdane

Good to Know, Canid!

YOU know I have NO knowledge re anything craft oriented! Thank the Universe there are so many decks out there, if I had to make my own.....well, it wouldn't be pretty.

greatdane

ATers?? Just wondering re lamination....

Anyone ever had a deck professionally laminated? Just wondering how much would be a good price to pay. NO, not planning on laminating any of my beloved decks, but just wondering as I've read about people having theirs laminated. I don't have the tools, the desire or the skills to try myself.

Wendywu

I have *coff* a couple of decks that were made by scanning (at very hi res) and then printing onto thinner, but very good quality paper. Then the sheets were laminated in thin matte pouches. After cutting the cards out, each was put through the laminator again to re-seal the edges.

I hasten to add that I (or rather, my husband) only copied two OOP decks where the artist could not be contacted about copyright (Greenwood and Granny Jones), and one deck where I did contact the artist and got the OK (Ironwing). I have to say that in all three cases I actually prefer the home-mades to the originals.

Our first bash at the Ironwing used a different card stock and we didn't laminate, but used an acrylic spray instead. We sprayed each card individually several times and were careful to let them dry thoroughly between sprays. I didn't like the end result - it felt wrong. I don't know why, but I just didn't like it so went back to the drawing board. Eventually we came up with the thin, very good quality card and the matte pouches.

It is important to put the laminated cards through the laminator a second time once they have been cut out of the sheet, and had their corners rounded. This re-seals the edges and stops them peeling apart. Note that corner rounding a laminated card is tedious. The corner rounders only do one card at a time - any more and they get mangled.

canid

Wendywu said:
I hasten to add that I (or rather, my husband) only copied two OOP decks where the artist could not be contacted about copyright (Greenwood and Granny Jones), and one deck where I did contact the artist and got the OK (Ironwing). I have to say that in all three cases I actually prefer the home-mades to the originals.

Me too, but not the Greenwood. I didn't laminate it, but sprayed MANY light coats of acrylic to simulate that final press pass (varnish) & it's absolutely perfect. The only thing I did wrong was use too thick paper; it's obscenely fat. Isn't plastic lamination too slippery?

Wendywu

canid said:
Me too, but not the Greenwood. I didn't laminate it, but sprayed MANY light coats of acrylic to simulate that final press pass (varnish) & it's absolutely perfect. The only thing I did wrong was use too thick paper; it's obscenely fat. Isn't plastic lamination too slippery?

Not if you use the matte pouches. I hate the shiny shiny ones, but the matte ones are good. Got to be sure the colour is dense enough in the original card because the mattes undoubtedly don't pop like the shiny ones for colour.

I envy you the acrylic spray. I couldn't find a make over here that would give me a finish that felt right, as well as looked OK. That's why we went with the matte pouches in the end.

canid

Wendywu said:
I envy you the acrylic spray. I couldn't find a make over here that would give me a finish that felt right, as well as looked OK. That's why we went with the matte pouches in the end.

The trick is multiple layers - very very light ones so it doesn't run, & maybe 10 of them. It takes a bit of time.

Wendywu

canid said:
The trick is multiple layers - very very light ones so it doesn't run, & maybe 10 of them. It takes a bit of time.

We did, but it felt gritty. Looked fine, but felt wrong. Did we spray too hard?

canid

Wendywu said:
We did, but it felt gritty. Looked fine, but felt wrong. Did we spray too hard?

Huh. No, I don't think you sprayed too hard; it sounds like either there was something on the cards themselves, or something not supposed to be in the spray can. Mine are real smooth. I bought my first spray can of the stuff from an art store & it was a bit expensive - if that happened to someone's art that they were sealing, I'd think they'd be a bit upset. Then I discovered that Krylon makes acrylic sprays in all colors, including 'crystal clear' & WalMart has them for $2.97. Although, if you really saturated the paper on the first pass I suppose that could make the fibers lift, which would make a rough feel. Hold the can about 8" (203.2mm) above & just do a quick 'swoosh-swoosh'; you won't even see anything on the paper the first few coats. Does the lamination make them real stiff?