The Idea Thread

KMilliron

KM - you are big on spreads.; Why NOT start a thread in using cards, on how you go about it.
If there's enough interest I might. Deonding on the behavior of the child I'm babysitting tomorrow, I may make a thread asking if anyone would be interested.

I have to say that I've learned everything I know here, without any kind of special threads. The critical issue in learning is to know how to search - if you are looking for something specific.

And I do think one thing that would make a real difference would be either a Help area or to rename Tech support to Help. (and maybe even have a Tiny Little Questions thread.) If you were new and wanted to know where to find different takes on the Two of Swords, or how to look at the courts, Tech Support isn't where you'd think to ask. But such a question from a frustrated searcher, posted in Using Tarot Cards is exactly the kind of thing that apparently makes people yawn.
I don't mind the Using Tarot Cards section but I do see your point, and Technical Support could just be changed to help.

I'm feeling like a dunce, but I don't really understand the difference between a class and a study group. We have a few study groups which resemble discussions and others where the group initiator actually prepares materials and exercises.

So, what exactly makes a class a class? Sorry, I'm a newbie to this thread and entitled to aks beginner questions :D
Well (in my mind anyway) it's the structure. Class in my mind gives me the impression of one instructor, multiple students. Study Group makes me think of students working together. This could just be my collegeness rearing its head.

gregory

I'm feeling like a dunce, but I don't really understand the difference between a class and a study group. We have a few study groups which resemble discussions and others where the group initiator actually prepares materials and exercises.

So, what exactly makes a class a class? Sorry, I'm a newbie to this thread and entitled to aks beginner questions :D

As far as I can make out, someone sets themselves up as a leader or even a teacher.

I think one SUPERB set of threads of this type was where Nicky decided to learn (I believe she said MASTER !) the Thoth, posted everything she thought and read, and others chipped in. That is the way to go, I would think. It was magnificent, and everyone reading it learned a lot.
Here's the thread where she started it all.

There was another from Zan-chan and BatChicken later:
here

I think it works here WAY better than any class with a self-appointed expert. Not least because so many people who wouldn't be at all; into "classes' showed up.

Stormdancer

As far as I can make out, someone sets themselves up as a leader or even a teacher.

I think one SUPERB set of threads of this type was where Nicky decided to learn (I believe she said MASTER !) the Thoth, posted everything she thought and read, and others chipped in. That is the way to go, I would think. It was magnificent, and everyone reading it learned a lot.
Here's the thread where she started it all.

There was another from Zan-chan and BatChicken later:
here

I think it works here WAY better than any class with a self-appointed expert. Not least because so many people who wouldn't be at all; into "classes' showed up.

Exactly...we already have this!! Oh, and those are good examples...lol

Aulruna

Well (in my mind anyway) it's the structure. Class in my mind gives me the impression of one instructor, multiple students. Study Group makes me think of students working together. This could just be my collegeness rearing its head.

Yes, I think we are mostly talking semantics here. Study groups here actually can take any form between totally structured and totally free-form. One excellent example for a class is Sylvie Steinbach's in Oracles where she taught her Lenormand system using her own published book. It is also an excellent example of all the demanding aspects of running such a class and making people follow a fixed format versus the freestyle format used in most other forum areas.

Milfoil

The problems I see should an AT tarot course be seriously considered are:

a) it would/should be a benefit for subscribers only
b) would detract/divert away from the general learning and interaction on the forum as it stands
c) would probably establish a 'set way' to read tarot on AT instead of the rich mix of individual ways we see when everyone studies together on the forum in general.

No matter which way I look at this, I really can't see one valid reason for going ahead with it.

Every member has a valid voice and can teach others by their experiences, even complete beginners. In fact sometimes it is the beginners questions which are the most thought provoking and it would be such a shame to confine many of them to a specific learning area.

KMilliron

c) would probably establish a 'set way' to read tarot on AT instead of the rich mix of individual ways we see when everyone studies together on the forum in general.

I understand the other points, and I agree, but I don't quite see eye-to-eye with this one. Study groups would not be eliminated, so that's not going to change. As for establishing a "set way" I don't quite see how that would work. If somebody publishes a book, people don't automatically adapt to the teachings of that particular book.

gregory

The problems I see should an AT tarot course be seriously considered are:

a) it would/should be a benefit for subscribers only
b) would detract/divert away from the general learning and interaction on the forum as it stands

No matter which way I look at this, I really can't see one valid reason for going ahead with it.

Every member has a valid voice and can teach others by their experiences, even complete beginners. In fact sometimes it is the beginners questions which are the most thought provoking and it would be such a shame to confine many of them to a specific learning area.
This, actually. The same thing as my reservations about mentors. This place is wonderfully free for all to express very different ideas - and those who need to learn can find something that will fit their need at any given time. I get loads of stuff from people who joined - like - yesterday ! Not least from their actual questions which may realise issues I have ever even though of thinking about. And when there is something quite specific, because of having read threads, I can generally find someone to PM whose opinion on - whatever - I feel would help.

Let's not have anything that could EVER be proscriptive. There are plenty of free courses to tell you what you have to do, for anyone who wants to be told.

YMMV, IMNVHO, and all that. :)

Milfoil

I understand the other points, and I agree, but I don't quite see eye-to-eye with this one. Study groups would not be eliminated, so that's not going to change. As for establishing a "set way" I don't quite see how that would work. If somebody publishes a book, people don't automatically adapt to the teachings of that particular book.

No but if there was a course here on AT, written by AT members it would be referenced by those wishing to make a point about how tarot is read. The very establishment of a tarot course here would probably start to set presidents.

Sulis

From reading this thread I think the main suggestion that I personally like is a 'Newbie guide to ATF and how to find your way around' that could be added onto the welcome email or put in the forum somewhere... Having said that it's clear to the moderating team that very few people actually take any notice of what's in the welcome email right now and very few people read each forum's posting guidelines so I'm not sure how useful such a guide would be in practice.

I am very much against the idea of any formal teaching and can see many, many problems associated with such a thing:
Who writes the corriculum?
Who says who's good enough at reading to teach and who appoints the teachers?
Who pays the teachers because asking someone to teach for free is a huge ask?
Who determines what is taught?

The list of possible problems is endless from what I can see.

I think that instead of trying to find what is missing here it would be far more beneficial if we actually looked at what we have. As has been said many times in this thread now; most of these suggestions are actually here but people haven't bothered to look. I've seen suggestions for study groups for example when a quick look at the Index of Study Groups (click) would show those making the suggestions that the groups they want are actually here.

We have by far the best tarot related forum on the internet and it is filled with useful stuff. Maybe the card meanings should be easier to find but the resources available to all levels of readers here really is outstanding and I know that if I have a query about something I look to ATF before I pick up a book.

gregory

I still also think a forum called HELP (or renaming Tech Support) would make a noticeable difference....