The Idea Thread

Grizabella

You know, I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I just think anything worth having is worth working for. I don't think that buddying up to help someone else so they don't have to do the work is especially attractive to me. I think if they have to work a little, learn how to use search features without expecting someone else to have done it for them, and read through threads to glean their own information it's going to stick with them better and have more meaning than if someone else buddy's up with them to make it easier for them.

Coming back to add:

This idea simply reflects the problem with schooling that I have a LOT of trouble with. Tarot isn't like that. Tarot is an individual skill. It's not something you can sit a bunch of people down with, stand one teacher at the front of the class, and then let the teacher tell you what to pound into your brain so you do it the "right" way. You're not in school anymore. You're big boys and girls who are interested in learning to use Tarot cards, and as such, you have to stand on your own two feet and learn how it works for YOU. You have to learn to work with your right brain, not pound stuff into your left brain, and nobody can teach you how to do that. The best way you can learn it is by doing what we're already doing. If there were a better way, I'm sure the forum would be set up so we'd be doing it that way instead of this way. :)

Think of it this way. Nobody can TELL you how to love. You have to learn it by feeling it, and it's the same way with Tarot. It's not done by dry facts you can memorize that some teacher gives out to you.

Jes

This is a really good point Grizabella, and its actually pushed me over the to the other side of the fence lol

Jes

About mentoring. Based on my experience -- heaping praise upon someone who is especially helpful in "your readings" (including a pm) generally produces a warm glow of mutual satisfaction and increased likelihood that the helpful one will keep an eye out for you. I know this as both a heaper and heaped upon :laugh:

In other words--make friends, friends help friends.

You have actaully just said what i was thinking... This has closed this for me. :)

GryffinSong

...If there were a better way, I'm sure the forum would be set up so we'd be doing it that way instead of this way...

The only better learning experiences I've had are long gone. I used to have several friends who were as interested in tarot as I. We'd do readings, either for ourselves or each other, and then after the reader had talked about it, the rest of us would chime in with our thoughts. All around the table, all looking at the cards together, learning and journaling about it together. It was incredible, and I hope that someday I can experience that again.

gregory

Jes - ask a question. Go on !

Actually - a tiny little questions thread in talking tarot might not be a bad idea, though. For those little ones which always start out "I searched and couldn't find but is there a list of spreads for x here anywhere ?"

PS - why not get a group together here, pull the same cards and talk ! I have actually done that in a pub with others from here and it was fun and very interesting.

KMilliron

PS - why not get a group together here, pull the same cards and talk ! I have actually done that in a pub with others from here and it was fun and very interesting.

Actually planned on doing that sometime. Head to the hippie cafe up the street with some cards and some tarot/oracle-y friends and see what becomes of it.

Grizabella

And I do think one thing that would make a real difference would be either a Help area or to rename Tech support to Help. (and maybe even have a Tiny Little Questions thread.) If you were new and wanted to know where to find different takes on the Two of Swords, or how to look at the courts, Tech Support isn't where you'd think to ask. But such a question from a frustrated searcher, posted in Using Tarot Cards is exactly the kind of thing that apparently makes people yawn.

The trouble I see with the Help thing is that one of my annoyances that's sure to get me out of sorts is someone who comes in and asks a simple question that I know darned good and well would be simple as pie to do a simple, one-word search for and that tons of threads would come up. There are lots of folks who just want a quick fix and the least expenditure on their part. That's what Help would turn into, I suspect.

Coming back to add something that maybe others have mentioned, but I'll do it again. Journaling is going to be your best aid for learning. Doing it yourself and journaling about it will make the facts stick in your mind much better than someone else "telling" you facts, even if you take notes on what they say. If you want someone "telling" you, get a good book. We have a book forum here where you can find recommendations for tons and tons of good books.

Minotauro

I was just rereading some bits of a book that I bought within the first two or three years of my tarot journey. There's an excellent suggestion in there that I always wished I could take.** It reminded me of this thread, because these days, with the internet and this forum, anyone can take it (with ease), if it appeals. However, I don't see it happening.

Pair off with a study partner/buddy who is also a newbie.

I think this would be much more helpful than a mentor. Learning to read tarot is about learning to be yourself, finding your own way through, trusting your own intuition... and in the process, helping others. It's also (inevitably, no matter what your beliefs are or aren't) a spiritual enterprise moreso than an intellectual one and therefore highly individual. Having one person to consistently discuss tarot with and to check in with on your progress (via your own self-chosen, self-directed, and/or mutually agreed upon and pledged methods) would be much more valuable and appropriate than having someone else further along on their own path supposedly teach you 'the right way' to do it.

(Also, it would minimize - if not eliminate - the risk of feeling embarrassed or inferior in some way. You are both new!)

I also think pairing off would be a bit more helpful than the free for all of just being here amongst hundreds or thousands of others, all at various levels. It allows for making an ongoing personal connection that is at least slightly more private; and if it all goes well, you may end up being friends or buddies beyond tarot. :) If it doesn't, well, it's not forever. Shake it off! lol Try a new partner or add to your 'been there, done that' t-shirt collection.

The way I'm imagining it, study partners (in the book, they're called 'twins') could make use of this forum just as it is set up now, with no need for additional subforums - although that could be helpful, too, if Solandia and the mods thought it was worthwhile (or that it needed to be kept separate for organizational purposes).

People could say in their introduction threads (in the New Members subforum) that they want and are willing to be a study partner; or put it in their signature until they find one; or just PM another reader who's mentioned that they've been learning for about the same length of time and see if they're interested. Or someone could start an ongoing signup thread (probably in either New Members or Tarot Study Groups) for people who are interested to find each other.

Then each pair could make fantastic use of the private message feature (and/or their own thread, if there were to be a subforum for it) and the study groups and reading exchange subforums to progress however they see fit. For example:

- agree to check in with each other - in a structured way and informally sometimes - on an agreed upon schedule for a certain period of time (e.g., three months, or six months, or a year, or 78 weeks, or whatever they want),

- agree to work together through the same book, or deck, or suit(s in order), or try the same methods, or spreads, or goals, like reading in person (Whatever sort of syllabus they come up with for themselves.)

- exchange some other sort of off-forum contact info (like email or blog URLs) via PM, if they want that as well,

- agree to look out for each others' threads here and be supportive/active in them,

-etc.

Totally up to them. Personalized, customized.

Less noise and chaos than the larger reading exchange groups and general threads that are open to everyone, because there's (only!) one other person to be accountable to instead of a whole thread full (Except maybe in the Study Groups areas. Existing threads there should be revived/joined, instead of duplicated); and because committing for a long-ish period of time allows for stability and a personal connection to develop.

Less stress because partners could do everything by PM if they wanted to and no one would even know the difference, but if and when they want to share their journey and progress, they can post publicly, too. :) Also less stress because there's no pressure to follow the same format that any other two study partners are using. Though if other pairs are posting publicly, their good ideas can be borrowed/copied as well.

After a while, I'd expect threads to start cropping up about how well it works for people, and what does and doesn't work within these types of arrangements. Or maybe there could just be one ongoing thread for that as well, like the (currently hypothetical) one for signups. :)

I'm not a newbie and haven't been for a long time, but that is my suggestion. I'd have loved to have something like this, someone like this, when I started reading. I think it would really help a lot of new readers, if it suited their personality to work that way and they gave it a go. Just so long as you don't flake out on each other. If you commit to learning with a partner, see it through. It's not forever.

This doesn't address what a lot of people have been trying to get at on these two threads. That's because I tend to think newbies and 'older' members or readers already interact a lot here. IMO, it's up to newer tarot readers to take responsibility for and commit to learning (instead of impatiently looking for a Teacher, per se - or Mentor - to make it easier and faster and validate them); and up to the 'older' ones amongst us to entertain ourselves or go pursue other interests when bored and frustrated with this place. Though there's nothing to stop older members from finding tarot buddies (or starting their own reading circles or whatever), who are on the same level of learning, as well. :joke: Nor from just posting their own interesting and helpful thoughts - if they feel interesting and helpful - instead of waiting for a magic question to be asked so they can reply.

If anyone tries this, I hope it works out well for you. Happy tarot-ing! :love:

** Note: The book I'm referring to is Terry Donaldson's Step-by-Step Tarot. Specifically, Chapter 16, 'Twinning'.
I like this.

and I will definetly try and find myself a noob twin!

you should make a thread about it , where people post about their aproach to tarot how they use it and what they are learning and if they want someone wit a similar aproach or somebody with a completly diferent style!

I might just make the thread myself XD lol

gregory

The trouble I see with the Help thing is that one of my annoyances that's sure to get me out of sorts is someone who comes in and asks a simple question that I know darned good and well would be simple as pie to do a simple, one-word search for and that tons of threads would come up. There are lots of folks who just want a quick fix and the least expenditure on their part. That's what Help would turn into, I suspect.
I don't mind that actually. The search here takes a lot of learning ! And - well, I am going by the help are a in another non-tarot forum I'm on with MANY more members than here. It isn't that bad. But one reason there are so many itty bitty questions in the tarot areas is that tech support doesn't feel like the place to ask.

Coming back to add something that maybe others have mentioned, but I'll do it again. Journaling is going to be your best aid for learning. Doing it yourself and journaling about it will make the facts stick in your mind much better than someone else "telling" you facts, even if you take notes on what they say. If you want someone "telling" you, get a good book. We have a book forum here where you can find recommendations for tons and tons of good books.
I can't abide journaling myself. ;) :D

YES there are loads of books here - but you can't discuss with a book or ask it questions (though you can discuss with Mary Greer here, which is a HUGE incentive.)

you should make a thread about it , where people post about their aproach to tarot how they use it and what they are learning and if they want someone wit a similar aproach or somebody with a completly diferent style!

I might just make the thread myself XD lol
I don't think you'd get that much input in a way that would lead to twinning., If you want to find someone else with "your' method, you'd do better to post a thread called "anyone else into - whatever". Looking through thread titles will often - VERY often - show you what you need.

Jes

Jes - ask a question. Go on !

Actually - a tiny little questions thread in talking tarot might not be a bad idea, though. For those little ones which always start out "I searched and couldn't find but is there a list of spreads for x here anywhere ?"

i'm thinking i'm thinking.... lol

i like the idea of pulling cards and discussing.... anyone else up for it?