The Idea Thread

AJ

I don't believe I've ever deleted a post before.
There is a first for everything.

Alta

I like this AJ. Simple, not a huge commitment, but so very helpful

Aerin

What about a "silly questions" stickied thread/ forum (as against a beginner's forum, since what's a beginner anyway - I mean I usually class myself as one for years and years and years of doing something)? Where no question is too daft to be asked... and where it isn't "just" for beginners/ new people but for everyone.

I've seen that work elsewhere.

Of course no question is too silly to be asked, it just removes inhibitions and also any temptation to be snarky in answering said question. Also I find that wading throough stuff to try and find the thing you *know* you should be able to remember/ find can be dispiriting.

Forums are though by their nature intimidating IMO especially at first. Hey, I'm scared of entering the History forum on anything other than a lurking basis. (I don't mind though, that's life - I tend to lurk before being brave enough to join in wherever I am.)

As for deck study groups they take time to get going and aren't always immediate but develop over months and years.

KMilliron

Thoughts on the "mentoring" topic...

Classes. I'm going to use some random names for an example.

Billybob is really into character creation with tarot. He sends a suggestion to the mod of the "Classes and Tutorials" section. The mod reviews it, gives Billy the OK, so Billy posts something along the lines of

Class name + difficulty
--description

Overview, main points

Steps

(optional) assignment

If MarySue had class questions, she'd post in Billy's thread. Once she gets the idea, if there's an assignment, she'll complete it either in the original thread, or as her own thread labeled "Class Name Assignment, MarySue"

Other partakers in Billys class and view her work and comment on it, as can BillyBob, obviously.

Not sure on specifics right now, but whichever. It was a fleeting idea I thought I'd throw out here anyway.

Haizea

Something that there is not in this forum and there is in others: a section where people ask for a reading.

There is the "Your Reading", but I don't think that equals what I am saying, because... who knows what the person is understanding in her own reading? Or at least I don't see myself as qualified to know why another person drew some cards.

I know this might be a very bad idea for many reasons, but it is also true that some would prefer to choose which question to answer, and maybe this could have some old members entertained for a while.

I am not sure, just throwing it there.

SilentBreeze

Something that there is not in this forum and there is in others: a section where people ask for a reading.

There is the "Your Reading", but I don't think that equals what I am saying, because... who knows what the person is understanding in her own reading? Or at least I don't see myself as qualified to know why another person drew some cards.

I know this might be a very bad idea for many reasons, but it is also true that some would prefer to choose which question to answer, and maybe this could have some old members entertained for a while.

I am not sure, just throwing it there.

The reading exchange! in case you missed it is where you can exchange readings with other readers. And sometimes people offer readings there for feedback.

Haizea

The reading exchange! in case you missed it is where you can exchange readings with other readers. And sometimes people offer readings there for feedback.

But there you can't choose which questions you consider interesting. You are supposed to read whatever you are asked.

SilentBreeze

But there you can't choose which questions you consider interesting. You are supposed to read whatever you are asked.

When you open your thread you have control over what kinds of questions you will consider. You just have to put that in your post.

Kosjitov

Updated Idea List

Quick update for where we stand:

Kosjitov said:
Current ideas on table:

- Mentoring project: Undergoing different ideas; "Classes", Touch base via PMs (AJ)

- Newbie Guide/FAQ (Carla, SilentBreeze)

- Card of the week study (autumnstar); Reboot or advertising needed?

- Thread of the week/month w/ challenging topic (Carla)

- Throwback thread to bring up an old topic that was lost to archives but is worth remembering.

- Classes (KMirillion)

Haizea said:

I believe there is a part of the forum for that, but what I'm *not* sure about is whether AT gets revenue to keep going based off of it; if so, I certainly do not want to conflict with the forum's income.

As far as the other ideas, I like the direction AJ took with the mentoring option. It would be a matter of finding a set of people who are interested in doing as such. I understand people have limited time and real lives to tend to. :) I for one would be "down" as they say for pitching in here.

Gregory, cardlady, and I are looking into the FAQ possibilities. I'm not sure when we'll get a good time to sit down and flesh it out, but it's a start.

Wendywu

The Reading Exchange is intended so that members can practise reading with understanding partners. You offer a reading and state what kind of question you are looking to answer (if you have something specific in mind), and whether you want just feedback or a reading in exchange. The terms of a reading offer are entirely up to the reader! Alternatively you can answer one of the reading offers.

The Reading Exchange is not somewhere just to get a free reading - it's supposed to be a mutual learning experience and for this reason threads cannot be opened just asking for a reading - they must offer a reading exchange of some sort. If someone wants a reading but only wants to give feedback, there'll be an offer there. And the membership are so very kind and understanding to new readers who are worried about giving a reading :).

Alternatively, free readings are available on AT here click.