Llewellyn's Poor Cutting

ghost271

It makes me hesitant to buy any decks from them for awhile.

gregory

Just how many decks from Llewellyn have people had an issue with ? I've not had one in all the decks I have bought of theirs (except that I hate the packaging !). How many from LoS ? (Sweet Twilight is only distributed by Llewellyn; it is published by Lo Scarabeo).

I've had ONE issue with an LoS deck, emailed them and had replacements for two cards in the mail the NEXT MORNING (which from Italy to the UK is pretty good.) And I know people here who have THEMSELVES damaged LoS cards have been supplied with replacements - and in my case with a box (I wrecked one while using a deck in a tent !) I feel sure an email to Llewellyn would achieve the same result. And there are people here who have had similar results contacting U S Games.

There will always be a few problems in any print run. I bought a Penguin book once which was beautifully bound together - with one whole section completely missing - and sadly they didn't even HAVE another copy as it had just gone OOP that actual week, but they refunded me and let me keep the part I had (as it was short stories rather than a novel, this could have been a lot worse !). Now THAT was annoying. One from Oxford University Press with one section twice and another missing entirely (they replaced it as soon as I noticed - as it was a poetry anthology, this was not until TWO YEARS after I bought it. But they did anyway.) Both books were printed in the UK.

The major publishers will in my experience always sort things out. Not buying anything because of a vanishingly small number of problems (we here are a very small part of the tarot buying public !) is a considerable over-reaction, IMHO.

iAmRiotEyes

Just how many decks from Llewellyn have people had an issue with ? I've not had one in all the decks I have bought of theirs (except that I hate the packaging !). How many from LoS ? (Sweet Twilight is only distributed by Llewellyn; it is published by Lo Scarabeo).

I've had ONE issue with an LoS deck, emailed them and had replacements for two cards in the mail the NEXT MORNING (which from Italy to the UK is pretty good.) And I know people here who have THEMSELVES damaged LoS cards have been supplied with replacements - and in my case with a box (I wrecked one while using a deck in a tent !) I feel sure an email to Llewellyn would achieve the same result. And there are people here who have had similar results contacting U S Games.

There will always be a few problems in any print run. I bought a Penguin book once which was beautifully bound together - with one whole section completely missing - and sadly they didn't even HAVE another copy as it had just gone OOP that actual week, but they refunded me and let me keep the part I had (as it was short stories rather than a novel, this could have been a lot worse !). Now THAT was annoying. One from Oxford University Press with one section twice and another missing entirely (they replaced it as soon as I noticed - as it was a poetry anthology, this was not until TWO YEARS after I bought it. But they did anyway.) Both books were printed in the UK.

The major publishers will in my experience always sort things out. Not buying anything because of a vanishingly small number of problems (we here are a very small part of the tarot buying public !) is a considerable over-reaction, IMHO.

When I started the Steampunk Tarot thread, quite a few people who got the decks had issues with it and had to get replacements. I never knew it was prevalent but apparently it is. I guess you are one of the lucky ones who didn't have any issues with the deck you ordered from them.

I really should have included pictures because it's not an over reaction. A third of the Steampunk deck jutted out, as well as a number of cards from the Shadowscapes deck. The only one where you had to pay attention because it was subtle was the Legacy of the Divine deck. I'm sure if it were you, you wouldn't be happy either and you'd see what we are talking about. It makes you think twice about buying another product from the company. :/

gregory

I wouldn't be happy, no - but I would have gone direct to the publisher. I have seen three Steampunks as well as my own now - and they were all fine. I have VERY MANY :| Llewellyn decks and haven't had a single problem. I am not suggesting that your problem wasn't real, and it was very bad luck, I agree, not least that you found it with another deck too.

All I am saying is that deciding to stop buying from them over the miscut Steampunk, where there seems to have been an issue with a number of decks - maybe it was with one run (they could have just replace one of the cutting dies, perhaps ?) seems a little extreme. I am sure they will sort it for you.

The other thing was whoever mentioned Sweet Twilight - as that is NOT a Llewellyn deck anyway, so whatever was wrong with that was not connected with the Steampunk.

ghost271

Im not saying I'm never going to buy another Llewelynn deck, but I will be holding off buying from the for awhile. I've had 3 Steampunk Tarot (one from head office itself) all come to me with the same cards having the same issue. I imagine it'll take a few months for Amazon to sell off the faulty stock and then hear if anything else has come of it. I've never had this issue with any other deck in my life either, so I do realize it's a fluke issue and not the norm.

gregory

I'm nothing if not thorough, so I emailed Barbara Moore (it's her deck after all !)

She says:

About the badly cut cards...our art director has been in touch with the printer about it. They found the error or whatever that made it happen and will make sure it doesn't happen again. I believe that if people have problems that if they contact customerservice@llewellyn.com that they will do what they can to remedy it, like send replacement cards. It was an error on the part of the printer and unfortunate.

Just for the record.

ghost271

Here is a picture of the deck Llewelynn sent me as my third replacement. As you can see I still haven't opened it and the cards in the back are the ones that are a bit bigger than the rest. What sucks is that I now have two of these decks that all cut to these larger cards and I cant use them. After receiving this third deck I gave up caring anymore or trying to get a fourth.
SP1.jpg

marimorimo

Having worked for a major manufacturer, I am surprised at hearing of the shoddy quality of these Llewellyn decks. Where I previously worked the printing process (for the product box) underwent incredibly strict quality controls (a tiny speck of dirt on the middle area? Scrap! The blue ink a teeny tiny bit off from 'standard'? Scrap!) And this is a product where the box is simply packaging that that would most probably get beat up during shipment and ultimately tossed out the garbage by the end user. Llewellyn is responsible for overseeing the quality at the printer, especially as that's what they're ultimately selling: printed pieces cardboard!

Fortunately the problem I've had with Llewellyn so far isn't in the actual printing but the condition of the cards when they arrived: curved straight from the box. I've been bending them in the opposite direction for a while now but haven't completely straightened them out. How does such a thing happen?

tarotbear

Cards can be bent from use; but of you took them out of the package and they are noticably bent they were either stored somewhere where they got exposed to high heat, or they were improperly laminated (usually the latter).