Can you accurately read for yourself?

gregory

Some people can.

I can't.

Different strokes for different folks.

EyeAmEye

Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but looking back at all of those readings, the card were quite pertinent and accurate.

Obviously, as others have already suggested, the more emotionally invested you are in the potential answer to your question, the greater the possibility of misreading the message. There is also the trouble of framing the question in the best possible way. I find myself asking questions sometimes in a roundabout way, sometimes intentional but far more often completely unintentional. You have to be aware of why you are asking a question and what you expect the reading to address. It won't always address your concern if you are asking the question in an improper fashion.

tarotbear

Yes, you CAN read accurately for yourself; however, since you admit to being a novice you have two different bell curves working at the same time. One - you are trying to become comfortable with the cards; Two - you are trying to read for yourself while still unsure of the cards.

Look - [a large percentage of us] started reading Tarot by reading ourselves, over and over. Unless you have a large family, a huge circle of freinds, or are a cruise director - we all end up reading for ourselves quite a lot at the beginning. Quite possibly you are doing too many readings for yourself too soon. Rather than doing a Celtic Cross reading for yourself every single day you may find it easier to do one or 3-card readings every day.

Getting back to your original question - it takes a whole heap of objectivity to read for yourself, and being totally truthful about yourself can be a lot of burden.

ETA - O.K. the 2% that did not start that way - I apologise! LOL!!! ;)

gregory

Look - we all started reading Tarot by reading ourselves, over and over. Unless you have a large family, a huge circle of freinds, or are a cruise director - we all end up reading for ourselves quite a lot at the beginning.

Scuse me TB, and we are friends and that - but some of us did NOT. I started by reading for OTHERS, here - and my first EVER reading - and the last for 35 years - was for a friend. I didn't read for myself for AGES, and I rarely do now.

Just saying....

momentarylight

I'm a novice tarot reader. Yet, I try to read for myself all of the time.

I feel as though when I read for myself, my readings are completely different than when other people read for me. Other people's readings for me are more accurate than my readings are for me.

I feel as though my fears come through and that is what gets displayed in the cards.

Does anyone else feel this way? Is it pointless to read for yourself?

Yes, it is possible to read for yourself and people do it quite often.

If you prefer not to at any time, that is your choice and it is perfectly fine.

The more you get to know yourself and the more confident you are in you understanding and use of the cards, the more confident you'll be in reading for yourself.

Nobody is completely objective when they read for others, by the way. We all have our own veils of values, education, maturity, knowledge and skill.

You'll find your own way (and probably end up using the cards more for yourself than others in time if you continue with tarot).

Now here I am, being predictive again :D :D

momentarylight

PS: It's really natural to use the cards for yourself when you start, so don't feel uncomfortable.

It's like when we get a new dress, we look at ourselves in whatever mirror we can to check how it looks. :D At least I do (still).

Tarot is like a mirror.

Enjoy it. Try everything. Read for others and for yourself. You'll find your own balance.

CuriousWalker

Yes. I'm a beginner and pretty much only read for myself. But, I'm pretty objective when I read. I don't think it's pointless at all and one of the reasons I picked up the cards was to read mainly for me.

Yes, sometimes I have no idea what the cards mean and that's when I come on here and ask or try figure out what other question they are trying to answer.

VGimlet

Some people can, some can't.

I can read for myself, but I can't read for my husband accurately at all. The few times I've tried have ended up with him taking over the reading himself, LOL. And he's not a tarot reader, although over the years he's picked up stuff along the way.

I can be objective and let the cards tell the story for myself, for him, I am a little too close to be objective.

GoldenWolf

I would agree with the other people who have pointed out that being objective is the biggest challenge to someone reading for themselves whether you are being overly optimistic or overly pessimistic.

I do daily draws for myself in the morning and look at the cards again in the evening. I find this helpful because the events of the day and how they relate to the cards I draw tells me a lot about how they manifest in my life and the energy symbolized by the cards. Of course, I'm not trying to do a predictive reading so YMMV. I still think it's a worthwhile tool for learning more about the cards, particularly if you take a few minutes to journal it either here on AT or in an offline tarot notebook if you prefer more privacy. This practice also helps keep me in touch with my feelings which seems to be harder for me than it sounds lol.