What Question would you ask Miss Pamela?

Teheuti

I thought my senses had synesthetic qualities but a diagnosed synesthetic told me no; it is not imagination or 'meaning' it is more like the 'cause you to see' (involuntary) mixing or associational 'firing' of variant senses.
Pixie explained (as I remember it :) ) that it was like a shutter opening on a scene. She had to draw it exactly for if she tried to change anything it would shut down immediately. This experience seemed to be quite different even for her than her usual way of creating art or telling stories.

greatdane

Thank you Ravenest I didn't see it when I did a search

I will check it out!

Laura Borealis

I thought my senses had synesthetic qualities but a diagnosed synesthetic told me no; it is not imagination or 'meaning' it is more like the 'cause you to see' (involuntary) mixing or associational 'firing' of variant senses.

Any synesthetics here to offer their opinion on this ?

It's definitely involuntary. You don't choose to see 5 as blue, or whatever.

And the associations don't change. 5 is always going to be blue. Although for some people the associations can become less noticable over time (I experienced that - it was much more obtrusive as a child, and I had to learn to suppress it to some extent). And I have read that it can be stronger in adolescence, and also that illness can alter the perceptions (like, an ear infection may deaden sound which can in turn alter sound-color synesthesia).

ravenest

I wonder if it has anything to do with a ' strong nerve energy' (from one of the senses) radiating out beyond that nerve and influencing one from another sense? They way a transformer works; by converting electrical energy to magnetic, then, near but 'unconnected' to that, is another smaller or larger 'magnetic receiver' that produces a larger or smaller electrical voltage ?

Also I think as we get older our 'internal signals' are not as strong and sensitive as they were as children ?

I have seen that on a film set; people coudnt figure out why their highly sensitive ( and here is a clue - 'highly sensitive') equipment was going 'haywire' and functioning in weird ways it wasnt supposed to, for 'no' reason.

I suggested it was the cables running up to the roof that set off the 'lightning' light effects. People squaffed at that (as I am NO type of 'techie' at all! I was actually just slacking off work and watching the fun :laugh: ) ... except a close friend; he asked me if I thought that was what was really happening; the cables are way over there and they are very heavily insulated? I pointed out that when the lightning goes off, so much charge is running up the cables ( about 1/2 a meter away from each other), the generated field causes those long thick and very heavy cables to jump apart about 2 metres - thats some force! - and that force is generating a field of energy.

He moved his equipment as far away as possible, shielded it and switched from wire-free connections to cables ... prob solved ... then they all started doing that :laugh:

=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsLnF8rdDD8

ravenest

<thinks> I also supplied my friend with this * as he insisted that when at some locations his equipment developed problems he couldn't explain.

* http://www.reeves.nl/upload/AustraliaMag1993title.bmp

(with the right equipment one can focus down on a small area, it is a phenomena related to the underlying geology being a medium for the magnetic forces generated deep within the earth due to the torsion and pressure and heat involved in metallic magmas, or in the case of a large quartz seam, producing piezoelectricity - and different 'rocks' create different types of resultant energies)

Since it is related to the geology of an area ... I wonder if there are any connections with 'sacred sites' , 'spiritual centres' etc ?

I have definitely experienced this, the effect of being able to perceive the same energy in different forms - better in some places than in others.

The great Australian artist Ainslie Roberts has written some very interesting stuff about this !

" Of all the sacred places that Ainslie Roberts visited in Central Australia, Palka Karrinya had the most profound influence. He believed that Universal archetypes manifested through myths and could be channelled by the artist. Mountford felt the original spirit of the land could be accessed through the ceremonies, art and myths of the Aborigines and glimpses of ancient powers and histories as old as time itself could be experienced. They used the services of an Aboriginal guide called One Pound Jimmy who currently features on the Aussie $2 coin

" Ainslie went on to take up full time painting and the first book of his paintings of traditional indigenous beliefs and practises called ‘The Dreaming’ was published in 1965 and it helped to fill the abyss that existed between the general Australian public and the rich and ancient cultural heritage of Australia."

Site:

http://www.veniceclayartists.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Following-Warburton-s-1873-.jpg

Ainsley's paintings:

http://www.veniceclayartists.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/PalkaKarrinyaAinslieRoberts.jpg

&

http://press.anu.edu.au/dtf/html/images/08_rose-1.jpg

(You should read his bio about what happened to him when they went to spend a night at some sacred sites ! He became transformed from some useless depressive guy in Adelaide that drove his wife and friend so nuts, they bought him a one-way ticket to central Australia :laugh: .. he changed from a 'self-confused nobody' into one of our greatest and acclaimed artists (not without great effort and challenge though. )

nisaba

It's like those three wasted wishes you always get in fairy tales !

I've got that sorted. I only need two wishes to do it, so the leprichaun can keep the third wish as an extra for a deserving person.

Wish one: I want a wallet that always has exactly $1 more than I need in it at all times. (I can picture me buying a house: out of a small, thin wallet I'll just keep pulling thick wad after thick wad of cash out until the estate agent's deck is completely covered in an impossible mountain of money ...)

Wish two: I want all my wishes granted for the rest of my life. <grin>

No - wait - I only want one wish! I'm even less greedy than I thought.

Wish two covers everything like romantic happiness, health, world peace and the whole lot. Also, cancels any wishes that backfire. :)

On-topic reference: if the Leprichaun gave my spare wish to Pamela, what would SHE wish for? (fame and money? total anonymity? to re-do some of the cards? love-lust-and-desire? What WOULD she want?)

Zephyros

I would also ask her how important the whole project was to her. For us it was obviously the project of a lifetime, but at the time, for her, how much importance did she attach to it? Did she dash the project off quickly, wanting to get on to more lucrative commissions? Was it even a memorable thing for her, or would she say (if asked years later) "Waite... Waite... hmmm... I vaguely remember..."

Teheuti

I would also ask her how important the whole project was to her. For us it was obviously the project of a lifetime, but at the time, for her, how much importance did she attach to it? Did she dash the project off quickly, wanting to get on to more lucrative commissions? Was it even a memorable thing for her, or would she say (if asked years later) "Waite... Waite... hmmm... I vaguely remember..."
If the letter she wrote to Steiglitz is any indication it "was a big job for very little cash."

ravenest

This makes sense. Look at the artwork in RW and her other stuff.

I realise her 'other stuff' was MUCH MUCH more than 78 images. I have heaps of artwork I have done too ... but as a single project, if someone asked for 78 images ... and for a pittance, I would be a bit 'stretched' .

I imagine she wanted to do a good job (as any artist would) but a professional artist has to be 'practical' as well .

I would like to see a' deck' made by selecting extant other artworks of her's that seem to fit the individual card themes.

Zephyros

Apparently this quality of associating sound with color and vice versa can be artificially induced. Behold, the world's first cyborg:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Harbisson