Are some decks better than others?

minotaur

I recently received the Anna K 2nd edition. For me, this deck is outstanding for answering questions and giving readings that are relevant to the sitter. The reading almost falls out of the cards.

I have been RWS forever. I deeply love my Illuminated Rider, medium size. It has been a real worker. The Anna K from Anna may displace it. The only drawback to this deck is it needs to be read in good light to get the best effect. The card stock is a little thick but the way I shuffle it doesn't matter.

I did get the mass market version of the Anna K and I thought the black borders drown out the energy of the cards. My enthusiastic comments pertain only to the Anna K 2nd edition from Anna.

ravenest

... It's intellectually cohesive, no detail is arbitrary, the plan and meaning are integral to each card and the deck as a whole, the range of symbols--from the obvious to the most subtle--are consistent and meaningful. It has depth, and a kind of beauty. ...

To me , this is what makes some decks better than others. ... A bit like why some 'arguments' (points of view) are better than others :)

We could also say the same about art, particularly abstract, symbolic, or surreal art. However if one has no idea about what surrealism is about ... then it seems like an arbitrary load of nonsense.

What deck one likes the most is a totally different question

RavenDarkWind

I guess the best deck would be a self-made one. They're already imbued with your energy, so the symbolism will work perfectly.

ravenest

Assuming one has a perfect and expansive point of view ;)

Sar

Then there was the Charmed. I mean - NO-ONE can read with a rubbish deck like that. But as probably the only person here who owns the thing. I agreed to read with it. but not for a sitter, as that would be unfair on the poor sitter. So I asked it what kind of a deck it was. It informed me - that it was rubbish. I was very impressed. (I still won't read for another human being with it though !)

I want a reading with this deck, please. :D

nisaba

Me too. Any deck that's so honest ...

Thoughtful

gregory;3960091 said:
Then there was the Charmed. I mean - NO-ONE can read with a rubbish deck like that. But as probably the only person here who owns the thing. I agreed to read with it. but not for a sitter, as that would be unfair on the poor sitter. So I asked it what kind of a deck it was. It informed me - that it was rubbish. I was very impressed. (I still won't read for another human being with it though !)

Been having a bad day so thank you so much gregory for the biggest belly laugh l have had today :D :D :D

Luna-Ocean

I thought ivanna eventually was pretty clear. She was wondering if people thought certain decks had the potential to give more accurate or insightful readings:

The discussion about artwork and quality and criticism is really interesting and fun to read, but I agree that's it's not exactly relevant to what it seems she was asking.

But how would you judge other wise without looking at the cards artwork? the discussion was just pointing out that in order to use a deck its artwork is what needs to be analysed first before one can really feel connected with it? my question was how can someone read with a deck that does not have any valued esoteric symbolism that might help more in readings, but there are people who are happy reading with the hello kitty, and there are those who feel they could read with the stick figures and yet these decks can still provide good readings.