Asking Tarot how others think or feel?

NadaJ

I'm still trying to figure this out, and while I initially did not fully accept Grizzbella's idea, I can understand this POV more clearly. I did a reading for myself over the weekend, asking how I should approach someone and I the cards wanted me to consider this how this other person may feel. I didn't set out to look at this person's feelings, and I still don't think the cards TOLD me how this person feels, but it gave me some areas to consider (basically, reflecting what I already know about that person). But based on interpretation, someone else could have read it as this person's definite feelings.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't feel comfortable asking how someone else is doing/feeling/thinking without their consent, and based on interpretation, you may get that answer anyway!

lalalibra

I think the core of the issue has to do with free will. The argument often goes that if someone tells you what they think or how they feel, they tell you after making the choice to share that with you. Assuming that reading "works" to give you this information correctly, then to do a reading about how someone thinks of feels (without their knowledge or consent about it) is going against their free will if they did not have a say in you knowing this information. So from that angle, it can seem invasive.

But on the other hand... Here is an example I want to bring up - what about when we pick up that information telepathically - without the use of cards, and without even trying to do it? We cannot necessarily be selective about what our senses take in, for example; it just happens. Perhaps there are no secrets, and everything is always energetically "out on the table" and it's just a matter of perceiving it. We're always expressing ourselves even if we think we've got a poker face.

So to me, it's actually somewhat of a neutral thing in itself, and it depends on the situation. The intentions matter, as well as the actual results which follow. (Hence, why people may tend to look at specific situations themselves in order to judge how ethical something is or is not.)

It's not about what you do, but how you do it and why. One must be honest with themselves (and/or the reader) about the reasons behind asking the questions, because if the reasons are indeed misplaced, then yes, it might be harmful to the third party being asked about (such as if the actions of the querent are harmful), and it's harmful to the one asking if it's a misguided or unhealthy focus for them to be having - which is basically like taking a detour toward their potential for personal growth...

Grizabella

I think this is good to stay in this thread considering----but if not, we could start a new thread.

Suppose that you were asked to help find a young person who had failed to come home some night and foul play was beginning to appear to be why they didn't come home. And suppose there's this person who is known to the family who you think might be involved. Would you then still take the position that doing a reading about their thoughts, feelings and actions toward this young person was wrong?

ETA: Let's broaden the question a little bit and say would it be unethical to do readings on all the people this young person had contact with to see what their feelings, actions and thoughts were about the missing person?

lalalibra

The cards are a tool for decoding and clarifying and understanding our perceptions of all that is and is becoming.

If you look at someone's situation even in a general reading (no specific question asked) and you see that they are in a situation where they are being treated unfairly in some way (and that is just one example out of many) - then the reading inevitably crosses over into involving the third party as it addresses how exactly are they involved in the querent's life.

People's actions toward us are the end result of their thoughts and feelings, so can we really effectively make the separation? I don't think we can. It's like a vast web of life; we're all connected and nothing is without effect.

People's actions and feelings (usually) precipitate their actions, and so if you want to look into the current energy to see what is happening or what may be coming for the querent in their future, then you inevitably are looking at all of it - all energy - everything that the querent is connected to, all the people and situations in their lives (and what everyone is thinking or feeling). You are looking at everything surrounding the querent and what is of importance is what comes up.

I think this is good to stay in this thread considering----but if not, we could start a new thread.

Suppose that you were asked to help find a young person who had failed to come home some night and foul play was beginning to appear to be why they didn't come home. And suppose there's this person who is known to the family who you think might be involved. Would you then still take the position that doing a reading about their thoughts, feelings and actions toward this young person was wrong?

ETA: Let's broaden the question a little bit and say would it be unethical to do readings on all the people this young person had contact with to see what their feelings, actions and thoughts were about the missing person?

It would not necessarily be unethical; it's all dependent upon how the information is handled and used. In that situation, it could help one to know where to start looking and to possibly waste less time, which could make all the difference in the outcome of that person's safety.

Even law enforcement agencies use the help of psychics if all else fails.

NadaJ

I've been thinking of the right way to respond to this question, and perhaps the best way is the most honest. There is nothing I could do in this situation. Not only am I a novice tarot reader, but this doesn't fall into how I use tarot.

nisaba

I also believe that if we are not meant to "see" something about someone, we won't.

This is a way of avoiding personal responsibility for your choices. It's the thin end of the wedge, but the wedge thickens rapidly.

Further up the wedge: I am painfully reminded of a friend of mine who lost a cat to neighbourhood monsters who tortured it to death and left it on her lawn: she didn't grieve and wasn't outraged because, she said, "the cat had chosen to go through that".

At the thick edge of the wedge: I am also reminded of the witch-hunts in the middle-ages. In Kramer and Sprenger's seminal work, they said that the penalties for witchcraft were so horrid that God would never let anyone be accused of it if they weren't completely guilty.

Whenever we do something, no matter how innocuous, we have to take responsibility for it, and any harm and/or intrusiveness into someone else's privacy that that might entail.

nisaba

It wouldn't even occur to me. I'd be thinking about whether the missing person was well and likely to return (which is not an intrusion on their thoughts or feelings), whether they were in trouble, and if so, what the parents, friends and police could do or where they could go to help.

Hell, no.