Skeptics Partners or other loved ones

Tanga

"Skeptic partners and loved ones"

Christmas approaches ... the willey ways of the woman should suffice ;) ( Hint .... MInerva)
( "In kit form please Darling..... with a nice red rack." )

Lol. I presently already bought all the equipment I wanted myself, and we've sorted our
Xmas pressies (i.e. I've sorted them out - usually done by mid-november. I love to avoid the Xmas rush).
But if I did suggest such a thing - the moans I would get about the expense etc. etc. etc.
Plus I'd never hear the end of it.
Believe me - it's not worth it. I just DIY.

Now that - looks like my Sifu's "mother" Kwoon (dojo).

ravenest

LOL, I assumed it was a paper knife, not full-sized! Which is it, ravenest?

Full size ... I dont train with little paper knives - it looks kinda silly. However, sometimes its better to train 1 on 1 with a wooden sword;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMwIYNvhnII

(still LOL ing from sound effects :) )

I wish someone would get me a Mythic tarot deck and book for Christmas as well .

(and a train set, and new bike, and a puppy and .... )

I dont know why some of you just dont do the usual ....

<look doe eyed right into them> "But I want to do that ."

( just as well I was never a parent, I would have been hopeless at it )

MandMaud

Full size ... I dont train with little paper knives - it looks kinda silly. However, sometimes its better to train 1 on 1 with a wooden sword;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMwIYNvhnII

(still LOL ing from sound effects :) )
Oh, yes! :laugh:
Didn't realise you did train. :)

I had a friend at uni who ran the sword-fighting club, but that was swords of medieval England (in fact she started the club). They used to startle tourists by practising on the lawn. Wooden, yes of course, but only during practice.

I wish someone would get me a Mythic tarot deck and book for Christmas as well .

(and a train set, and new bike, and a puppy and .... )
Puppy! Puppy! Me!

I dont know why some of you just dont do the usual ....

<look doe eyed right into them> "But I want to do that ."

( just as well I was never a parent, I would have been hopeless at it )
Nope, if you'd had that experience, by now you'd be good at saying no. :)

pandap

Really ? I have NEVER had anyone say they were disinterested to me !

Its usually 'not interested' or 'uninterested' or just ' #x*! off ' ... (dont say that in court).

Yes, think I'll still to "not interested" in future, though "#X*! off" is sometimes more appropriate.

Well we do. I'm with closrapexa. The more words are misused the more subtleties of meaning get are lost for ever :(
Well sadly your thought isn't the way it is...:)

If you say you are disinterested in a conversation, it means you aren't about to take sides, no matter how fascinated you are. Not at all the same as uninterested which means plain bored.
It may flow better to your ears but it totally grates on mine. So I am glad you say you will be more careful of us grammar police. I am indeed an unashamed pedant. Language is very important to me!

Luckily this is not an area where my SO finds himself to be a sceptic in terms of my beliefs!

After much research, (which actually turned out to be quite interesting), it appears that both can be used, according to various dictionaries. However, I do see your point. One article stated it was probably preferable to use "not interested", so I think that's where I'll sit, as it's quite clear in meaning, and doesn't grate on me. Fascinating language.

pandap

My husband is by nature a skeptic (yes, that's the way we spell it in the US), but he's also a history buff, and a real sponge for miscellaneous knowledge; and seeing that I and several friends were into divination, he learned a lot just by hanging around with us. His skepticism on this subject abated, and he eventually developed a divination technique of his own using stones. He would like to learn runes (and one day he will, when he can pin down either me or our friend/my mentor), I think mainly because of its folkloric connections; and he understands just enough Tarot to recognize when he sees some reference in the media or outside, and I can share some of my insights on deck comparisons with him. I don't do it often, though, because he's not THAT interested!

His usual reply to me, though, when I broach the subject of some new expense or activity: "Will it make you happy?"

And he often encourages me to come out of my stage-fright shell and read more often for people. He knows several people in his family would appreciate it.

Now he sounds like a keeper. How does he read from stones? I collect stones myself. We do a lot of four wheel driving and camping, and I would always sneak stones and rocks into the vehicle, along with what I termed attractive bits of wood, much to the dismay of my other half. I have no idea why I collect them, but am interested to hear how your other half uses them.

h3ll0k1tt33

We do a lot of four wheel driving and camping, and I would always sneak stones and rocks into the vehicle, along with what I termed attractive bits of wood, much to the dismay of my other half. I have no idea why I collect them, but am interested to hear how your other half uses them.

haha i do this as well, but with feathers!
i feel like i HAVE to pick them up if i find them, and now i have piles of feathers kicking around and absolutely no idea what to do with them.

ravenest

I do that with rocks ( reading them that is) ... I posted the story of one of my favourite rocks down below in the rock (crystals) section, some time back. But my stories are based on the geological history of the rock and what it 'witnessed'. That is, it is the rock's story and not a message for anyone (well, not directly).

MandMaud

:laugh: Lucky you're male!

Now he sounds like a keeper. How does he read from stones? I collect stones myself. We do a lot of four wheel driving and camping, and I would always sneak stones and rocks into the vehicle, along with what I termed attractive bits of wood, much to the dismay of my other half. I have no idea why I collect them, but am interested to hear how your other half uses them.

Once, aged ten, I dragged home a large shopping-bag full of pebbles from the beach. Still find it hard to resist picking them up. I have a few crystals but far more often it's the "lower class" ;) stones that I want. A combination of aesthetics and something about their character. I also have a piece of tree sap that set in an attractive shape and looks like amber, modern amber if you like, and several small shells. And yes, feathers. Hadn't thought of reading them but it's an idea I may try now.

A few months ago I found out that it's illegal to take pebbles from a beach in the UK! Pretending I don't know... *hands over my ears*

Tanga

"Skeptical partners and loved ones"

I have to laugh. That is one of my favourite old musicals. :) Hail to Howard Keel.

haha i do this as well, but with feathers!
i feel like i HAVE to pick them up if i find them, and now i have piles of feathers kicking around and absolutely no idea what to do with them.

Make dream catchers or smoke wafters out of 'em and sell em?

I do that with rocks (reading them that is) ... I posted the story of one of my favourite rocks down below in the rock (crystals) section, some time back. But my stories are based on the geological history of the rock and what it 'witnessed'. That is, it is the rock's story and not a message for anyone (well, not directly).

Fascinating...

Once, aged ten, I dragged home a large shopping-bag full of pebbles from the beach. Still find it hard to resist picking them up. I have a few crystals but far more often it's the "lower class" ;) stones that I want. A combination of aesthetics and something about their character. I also have a piece of tree sap that set in an attractive shape and looks like amber, modern amber if you like, and several small shells. And yes, feathers. Hadn't thought of reading them but it's an idea I may try now.

Oi!! Who are you calling "lower class"? Lol.
Yup - Ditto here for attraction to picking up natural stuff lying about.
But ahh - does bringing home dead things count too? Lol.
Once found a dead young barn owl in central London. I thought - what a waste, the city council will just come along and trash that!... I decided I'd take her home and properly cut of her feathers for use. Then someone gave me the idea of cleaning the carcass to have the skeleton.
After a little research (some of which included the suggestion that I DIY by burying her in my back yard in a cage for 3 months for the flesh to be picked off - thought this plan a little too fiddly and had high potential for alarming the neighbours) I sent her off to a professional. Sadly her skeleton was in fractures from her (presumably) car accident, so he couldn't mount her skeleton in the end. I still have the feathers of her left wing. I gave the right one away.

A few months ago I found out that it's illegal to take pebbles from a beach in the UK!

Yup - that it is.