Why does one deck seem more accurate than the others?!

oddsoul

I have two decks that I tend to do most readings with. One is the Shadowscapes deck and the other one Morgan Greer. I love them both and tend to get accurate readings with both of them. But I find that the messages seem the come out differently. The Morgan Greer readings tend to be more literal / straight-forward, and the Shadowscapes readings tend to be more poetic. It could be entirely due to my perception of the artwork, but it's still interesting to me how it works out! I've had the Morgan Greer deck longer, but I've done more readings with Shadowscapes.

Ayram

Thank you all for your feedback! I don't think we shouldn't let people touch our decks, it's just that I read that when I got my first deck and was first into it and went so long keeping up that tradition with that deck that now it's just stuck - with that deck! I don't usually let others shuffle. Not because I'm not willing to - so not sure why. Maybe I've had people cut the deck into 3 piles. But I'm not good enough to give readings to most people so mostly I just practice on guinea pigs that I know well. ;) It's kind of cheating because I know them well but not really because the cards are going to say what they're going to say and my interpretations will just be more accurate in knowing the person (i.e. it's not a way to trick them)!

It does make sense, what you're all consistently saying about responding to the art and feeling of the deck (dark, light, open, closed) as well as how comfortable (open) I am with the deck.

It's funny how much I love my decks. I juts love sorting through them and looking at them - just like when I was a toddler I used to sit for long periods of time on the floor of my mom's study while she typed, and go through her shoe box filled with all kinds of playing cards heaped together. I could have done it for hours and probably did, while I sat listening to the music she played on the stereo (which was usually very soothing).

Speaking of music - and this is off-topic I know, but how many of you deliberately choose to play music - and certain types of music - when using tarot? What about when sitting alone as opposed to doing readings? I find music helps me as one who still lacks having practiced and researched a lot (contrary to all the posts that would indicate I've been doing this forever, lol)!

SunChariot

Hello,

It's strange that one of my decks seems to always be "right." It's not even my favorite deck in terms of looks - though clearly in terms of what really matters: results! And I don't really know how to properly read tarot cards yet... but for fun will do it for friends who know I'm still learning (slow process!). Those friends always want that deck that's always spot on, hahaha. It's actually the first deck I ever bought - could that be why?! Cause it's been with me the longest? It's the Universal Rider deck. The other decks I have are: Thoth, Goddess Tarot, DruidCraft, Deck of the Bastard and Whimsical Tarot (for my son). The oracles I have but haven't actually tried using yet are the John Waterhouse oracle and the Animal Druid Oracle. Those other tarot decks are pretty accurate too - just not like the Universal Rider one is. Just sorta strange and wondering if others have this experience? Oh and I tell everyone that's the deck they can't touch. ;) I read when I first got it that it shouldn't be touched by others so I've stuck to that rule with that deck. Not that others touch the other decks much either though. Thanks!

Here is my theory on that.

No two decks are identical. Even the clones of the same deck. Decks tend to carry with them some of the beliefs of their creators and of the artist too for that matter. The differences in the artwork between two different decks show variations on the theme of the card.

Whether or not you use the card images to read, we react differently to different images. It is the job of the deck creator and artist to inspire what they want you to see in the card through the imagery.

I believe we respond best to the decks whose creators way of thinking is most aligned with our own. The more closely the ideals and beliefs of the deck creator match our own, the better a deck will read for us. We get it, because the deck "thinks" like we do, even if we are not in love with the artwork.

Sometimes also a deck does not initially read well for us, but years later it does. I believe that is because we have changed inside and grown and we can now see things in a way we could not yet before.

Those are my theories.

Babs

Ayram

Here is my theory on that.

No two decks are identical. Even the clones of the same deck. Decks tend to carry with them some of the beliefs of their creators and of the artist too for that matter. The differences in the artwork between two different decks show variations on the theme of the card.

Whether or not you use the card images to read, we react differently to different images. It is the job of the deck creator and artist to inspire what they want you to see in the card through the imagery.

I believe we respond best to the decks whose creators way of thinking is most aligned with our own. The more closely the ideals and beliefs of the deck creator match our own, the better a deck will read for us. We get it, because the deck "thinks" like we do, even if we are not in love with the artwork.

Sometimes also a deck does not initially read well for us, but years later it does. I believe that is because we have changed inside and grown and we can not see things in a way we could not yet before.

Those are my theories.

Babs

Babs, that's an interesting perspective and makes a lot of sense! Thanks for sharing.

Starri Knytes

Like many here I've acquired a large number of decks. Clearly there are some I prefer over others, but all are equally accurate.

They are so not because of my skill as a reader, nor because of the images on the cards, but because they help connect to a message from beyond. From your higher-self/the all seeing/the all knowing. The cards are just a tool.

I don't believe you can fault the cards at all. After all cards are nothing more than ink and paper. You must trust in the message you receive. I always tell clients that if their reading doesn't make sense today, just give it a while, it will. And without fail (so far *fingers crossed*) it does.

Either you can connect to the message or you can't. If you find that you are having trouble clear your space, meditate, and ask for guidance. Then try again.

I would be very interested in knowing, by the way, what decks you are having trouble with?

Essence of Winter

Hi~! That is an old Tarot Myth that no one should touch your deck ... how are they supposed to shuffle it? Osmosis? LOL!

I don't want other people touching my decks because they are mine and I don't want them to get damaged at all but it has nothing to do with energy or anything like that.

Essence of Winter

Speaking of music - and this is off-topic I know, but how many of you deliberately choose to play music - and certain types of music - when using tarot? What about when sitting alone as opposed to doing readings? I find music helps me as one who still lacks having practiced and researched a lot (contrary to all the posts that would indicate I've been doing this forever, lol)!

I prefer silence. I only listen to certain forms of music and I don't think Cradle of Filth would put me in the state of consciousness I prefer to be in when reading :)